X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Live at Carnegie Hall

This last year I have been picking up any albums that I find that have performances recorded at Carnegie Hall. Some have been on audiophile's best recording lists for years (Weavers Reunion, Belafonte Returns, etc.). There are recordings as diverse as Peter Paul and Mary to Lenny Bruce.
    One in particular deserves to be up there with the Weavers Reunion and the Belafonte Returns albums. The album is Sweet Honey and the Rock Live at Carnegie Hall. Very good recording of a terrific all woman accapella group. Although known as a gospel group they are all over the map on this album. Highly reccomended.
    I would reccomend any album that I have heard so far that has been recorded here, sounds like each group or artist really puts out their best when performing at this venue.
    My guess is even the CDs probably sound good.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I'll search around for them. Thanks for the tip!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Ella Fitzgerald: Carnegie Hall 1973, Vol. 1 (Live)

I had the privilege of actually hearing the grand lady sing at Carnegie Hall backed by Duke Ellington's Band (he was long gone but his band played on for years after his demise) -- and it was a thrilling experience. The album, which preceded that concert by a number of years, is a worthwile "listen", since we won't ever have the opportunity to hear her there again.

Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall

I had thought the Judy Garland legend was a bad joke until I heard this album. It convinced me the lady had a lot of talent, a lot of class, and a self deprecating sense of humor as well. She left us too soon for me to have ever had a chance to hear her perform live. This album won a Grammy and still sounds pretty damned good for having been produced in the early 1960s.

Victor Borge

The "Great Dane" performed at Carnegie Hall many times in his long and illustrious career (including one concert I got to enjoy). Some of his antics there were recorded and different parts included on a number of albums. But as far as I know, there isn't a particular disc with all of one Carnegie Hall concert on it. (If there is, I'd like to know about it.)

Burke

PS -- The Harry Belafonte: An Evening With Belafonte album is a classic, too. If you can find it, the LP is better than the CD, not because of the medium being superior, but because more songs from the concert were included, as well as more of his banter with the audience.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks for the insight Burke! These sound like great albums.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

I had to (revive it that is)

Why?

You guys left out the most important one!

Dave Bruebeck Live at Carnegie Hall...1963! Stereo 360 degree sound!

Bam!
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• BradF
            • Nov 2003

Here's one that goes way back...

Benny Goodman: The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert

I found this 2 LP set at Goodwill a couple of years ago. It was recorded on a single mike and not particularly well. However, it captures many of the giants of American music... Basie, Kruppa, Hampton, Teddy Wilson, the list goes on, and of course, Benny himself, all of them at their absolute zenith. The audience of well-heeled hipsters is pumped and appreciative; they know they're seeing/hearing something pretty special.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"