X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TunerX
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by mitch57
    Nicholas,

The disadvantage to DVD-A versus SACD is the fact that DVD-A plays in the same manner as a DVD-Video disk. You have to select chapters kinda of like you do when you select scenes on a DVA-V. You also can't select tracks in the same manner that you do with CDs or SACDs. You cant just push "5" for example on your remote and have it skip to track 5.

The playing time in between tracks is also several seconds longer on DVD-A then it is on SACD or CD. The DVD-A also doesn't start playing immediately as it does with SACD or CD. The player's display reads the disk and then displays "Top Menu" for a very long time (sometimes 30 seconds or more) before it will start to play the first track. You can force it to play sooner by pressing the play button 2 or 3 times.

It also won't immediately change to the next disk in a DVD changer. It goes back to the "Top Menu" thing for a long time before switching to the next disk. This probably isn't an issue for most people who don't have a universal changer like I do.
    My ride has a DVDA player and there is no video output, the player plays automaticaly and I can use track 1,2,3,4 etc
    So its not out of the realm of Setop Players its just has to have that functinality built in.

2004 Acura TL

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

WTF? :rofl:
      ~Nick

Comment

• TunerX
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
        WTF? :rofl:

I dont understand the laughter but here is a link to some info

News & Rumors Archives - Acura TL Introduces Innovative DVD-Audio System - New Acura/ELS Surround Sound System Developed In Collaboration with Grammy Award-winning record producer/engineer Elliot Scheiner Torrance, Calif. 09/03/2003 -- The all-new 2004 Acura TL features one of the biggest improvements in car audio...

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

That's a very nice car with a very nice system by the way TunerX :T
          Jason

Comment

• TunerX
            • Apr 2005

Thanks! I love the Car can't imagine a long drive in anything else 8)

And my DVDA's do so sound so good in it.

Comment

• hired goon
              • Aug 2004

G'day,

Since you're on a Telarc SACD spending spree why don't you give the following a try: Jacques Loussier Trio - The Best of Play Bach (SACD-63590)
              "Baroque Favourites" is my (ahem) favourite Jacques Loussier CD at the moment. Handel, Albonini, etc. I get a bit jaded by the Bach intepretations, but this one sounds fresh. This is only available on CD, however.

One Telarc artist that has gained my attention recently is Tierney Sutton, a jazz vocalist a la Diana Krall, although sometimes a bit more uptempo and with some scat thrown in every now and again. "Dancing In The Dark" and "Something Cool" are superb IMHO, and available in multi-channel SACD (2-channel and 6-channel). These will probably be my next SACD purchases. I have not heard how effective the 6-channel mix is on these recordings, however (I'll only be using the 2-channel mix).

--Geoff

Comment

• csuzor
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by hired goon
                One Telarc artist that has gained my attention recently is Tierney Sutton, a jazz vocalist a la Diana Krall, although sometimes a bit more uptempo and with some scat thrown in every now and again. "Dancing In The Dark" and "Something Cool" are superb IMHO, and available in multi-channel SACD (2-channel and 6-channel). These will probably be my next SACD purchases. I have not heard how effective the 6-channel mix is on these recordings, however (I'll only be using the 2-channel mix).
                I have "Dancing in the Dark", http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/435 and it is a nice album but not an excellent recording. Overall clarity is a little low, and the surround channels have been mixed too heavy, so stereo is a better choice.

Christophe

Comment

• TunerX
                  • Apr 2005

DVDA's I really hate are usually silverline, or Live at the front row.. these seem to be cheap mixes er assembly line mixes.
                  so far my favs are Foriegner,Foriegner4,Rumors,Hotel California,Night At The Opera,LA Woman, And 3 doors down not bad... MY hopefull wish is for some old Rush mixed for DVDA

Comment

• Foxman
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Bing Fung

I picked up the Roxy Music Avalon on SACD.

It sounds pretty good for an old album. Not as crisp with startling depth like the Diana Krall SACD I picked up, but it's still very good none the less. Once again I notice a clarity and separation not heard on the original Redbook I own.
                    I just got this and gave it a spin. What a great representation of Multichannel Music this disk is. I had never heard this disk before, but it is fantastic to say the least. If you are a fan of multichannel music...and I assume you are if you are reading this, then this is a must own IMO.

I rate it a 8.5 out of 10 maybe a 9
                    IMO

My Movies
                    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

Roxy Music Avalon is a great album if you are a fan of music. That the SACD also happens to be an excellent multichannel production is a bonus, IMO. Regardless of which direction you are coming from on this, "Avalon" is a "must buy".

Burke

PS -- for trivia fans, and those who occasionally watch movies in addition to listening to music on their HT rigs, :>) this album contains one of the songs Bill Murray's character did a karaoke treatment of in "Lost In Translation". Bonus points if you can "name that tune". :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• mtodde
                        • Jan 2005

My SACD collection has grown to 75 titles!!! Not bad for a 3 month run, LOL.

For pure surround mix, DSOTM is hard to beat. I find that some discs sound better in 2 channel than multi-channel, but some of that may be my system (Rotel 1056, Denon DVD-2900, Paradigm Studio 40s, 20s & CC470).

Nicholas is right about Telarc. I don't have a single Telarc disc that has been disappointing. Chesky is another great label although their multi-channel stuff doesn have much in the way of center channel action.

Some of my favorite SACDs include:

Pink Floyd DSOTM
                        Ben Webster My Romance
                        Art Blakey Keyston 3
                        Holst The Planets (MFSL)
                        The Patricia Barber MFSLs
                        Pancho Sanchez Conga Blue
                        FONE Esoteric Audiophile Trip
                        John Pizzarelli My Blue Heaven

Comment

• Pieter
                          • Jan 2005

"Moll then this"?

Comment

• csuzor
                            • Nov 2004

Just received Romero:Un Segundo Una Vida, from CDBaby... Fabulous!
                            A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

If you like acoutic guitars and/or latin music (such as LAGQ:Latin), and you want to hear your surround system invite the artists into the room, this is album to get.

Christophe

Comment

• jimmyp58
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

For those of you older dudes (like me --- 47 years young) I fired up my Chicago II DVD-A tonight for the first time in months. Wow. From the time I first got it, I fell in love with this 'album' all over again. Tonight while listening I heard something I never heard before, the flutist breathing in between notes. While somewhat eerie, it was quite stunning actually and gave a true natural sound to the recording ... as if he was actually in front of me performing his solo.

Quite awesome indeed!

Jim
                              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• alupats
                                • May 2005

Purchases Doors L.A. Woman. What a disappointment! Have to turn bass way up, the mix is horrible. Lots of back channel bouncing around. What do they think the only people listening to this are LSD poppers or what? Don't waste your money.
                                As far as recourses go: Iv'e bought through buydvdnow.com and have been put on their waiting list for Eagles and Elvis for over three weeks now. Just discovered a large sellection at buy.com. but they seen to lack search capability for just DVDA. If anyone has a better source with a decent search engine (by artist), please let me know. Thanks

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

BUY.COM has a search engine for DVD-A. Go to "music" then on the left side of your screen a bunch of stuff pops up, DVD-Audio being one of them.

I'd deginitely agree on the L.A. Woman disc. I never listen to it and my wife is a huge Doors fan ... she won't listen to it either.

Comment

• mitch57
                                    • Nov 2004

Check out www.towerrecords.com.
                                    Mitch
                                    :stupidpc:

Comment

• alupats
                                      • May 2005

DVD-A source

BUY.COM has a search engine for DVD-A. Go to "music" then on . . .
                                      I followed your instructions but when I search, the results are mixed. Try searching on "Morrison" (for Van Morrison) you get tons of hits but in CD format. I want to search for just DVD-A titles. Please have patience and reply again if you can figure it out. Thanks!

Thanks for towerrecords.com link. They have advanced search where you can specify DVD-A format.
                                      Last edited by alupats; 01 June 2005, 03:03 Wednesday. Reason: add in response to other reply

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Just wanted to let you guys know that, I made this a sticky thread. Great info!
                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Thanks John :T
                                          Jason

Comment

• John Holmes
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Your welcome :T
                                            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Apr 2001

Having just recently picked up an SACD player I'm focused on this thread more.

The 2 discs I started with are:

Pink Floyd DSOTM: Amazing multi channel. I had to fiddle with my multi channel settings on my dvd player to make it sound the way I think it should and I'm blown away.

Next, The Police: Every Breath you take: Not so keen on the Multichannel but it's ok. The 2 channel is outstanding.

Comment

• Foxman
                                                • Jan 2003

The two hottest Multichannel releases so far in 05 (IMO) are by far:

Brothers in Arms SACD by Dire Straits. I just got this and my other suggestion and this is a fantastic mix as well as overall fantastic content.

The other recomendation is

Porcupine Tree's DVD-A, Deadwing. I havent heard the multichannel mix if I am being honest but the disk sounds great and the content is typical quality PT. I have read the mix is excellent as well.

No surprises, I just wanted to update the new sticky! :T
                                                IMO

My Movies
                                                Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• martino
                                                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by alupats
                                                  Purchases Doors L.A. Woman. What a disappointment! Have to turn bass way up, the mix is horrible. Lots of back channel bouncing around. What do they think the only people listening to this are LSD poppers or what? Don't waste your money.
                                                  As far as recourses go: Iv'e bought through buydvdnow.com and have been put on their waiting list for Eagles and Elvis for over three weeks now. Just discovered a large sellection at buy.com. but they seen to lack search capability for just DVDA. If anyone has a better source with a decent search engine (by artist), please let me know. Thanks
                                                  I totally agree...it sucks!

Martin

Comment

• aud19
                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2003

Ok, an updated. Sheryl Crow: Globe Sessions, great music, great mix :T The DVD-A is crystal clear and the surround mix is VERY well done, near textbook!

Sinatra at the Sands, ditto :T Admittedly not as pristine as some of the newer stuff I've heard in high-res but it's the best I've heard Frank sound and again, another good surround mix :T

Eagles: Hotel California. Another good one, just shy of the pollish of the Hell freezes over but with less of gimickiness in the mix that annoyed so many people.

Still waiting on my Swing live disc..... :roll:
                                                    Jason

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2003

A couple other DVD-A's:

Donald Fagen: Kamakiriad
                                                      BB King/Eric Clapton: Riding With The King

I use both as demo discs.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

If you are into piano, then add:

Ellis Marsalis: Ruminations in New York DVD-A

to the list....

Comment

• aud19
                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2003

Ordered Beach Boys Pet Sounds :T Still waiting for Swing Live.... :evil: :roll:
                                                          Jason

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                            • Sep 2001

Just found "Swing Live" at a most unexpected place: Best Buy. Chesky Records must be mainstream now!

I was passing by the SACD/DVD-A section after picking up "Midsummer Night's Dream" (marked down to $5.99 in the DVD section), and noted what a pathetic selection they have these days with shelves almost bare in the hi-rez music area. But amazingly enough, out of those slim pickings, I scored five albums I had been looking for.

In addition to the aforementioned "Swing Live", they still had one copy each of Eagles: "Hotel California", Eric Clapton and BB King "Riding With The King", and Daniel Chorzempa playing Handel's Organ Concertos (vols 1 & 2).

Note the past tense "they still had" -- I've got 'em now after a seemingly interminable wait for their computers to come back up to approve my credit card. But the good news about the wait is that the cashier was so busy trying to get the computer to work, she forgot to offer the "free" magazines. :>)

I'm sure I'll have more to say about the sound quality and performances on these albums later, (OK, there’s not much more to be said about the performance on "Hotel California" -- you either like it already or you've been living on Jupiter the past 25 years), :>) but from my quick sampling so far, they all sound like the winners others report them to be,

Burke
                                                            Last edited by Burke Strickland; 05 September 2005, 21:12 Monday. Reason: Correct typos.

Comment

• aud19
                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2003

Well still waiting for Swing Live :evil: Nice find Burke :T But picked up Vivaldi Four Season's (Anne-Sophie Mutter) on clearance from A&B Sound... yet to listen to it yet though....

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2003

Burke, I'd love to hear any further thoughts on that Swing Live Still waiting for mine...

As for Pet Sounds, the MC mix is not a "standard" mix but while it lacks in conformity, the mix seems to make up well to the almost etherial material. Plus it's almost like it's done from the perspective of being in Brian Wilson's head which is arguably the closest you're going to hear to what the musical craetor intended. For those lacking sufficient imagination and playfulness the more traditional high-res stereo track is excellent as well : But I highly urge you to "let go" and give the MC mix a try. It's one of the first "non-standard" MC mixes that I've actually enjoyed :lol: Some of the "bonus" a capella stuff at the end of the disc is really nice as well :T

Vivaldi, what can I say, Great sound quality and a straightforward MC mix of a playful and energetic rendition 4 Seasons. Haven't listened to the 2-ch mix yet but I don't really see the point, the MC mix was THAT straightforward. A stark contrast to Pet Sounds :lol:
                                                                Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2003

FINALLY got my Swing Live DVD-A!!!!!! :banana:

I ordered it on August 2 though and it just came today :rant: :evil: Two months to get here :roll: If you're in Canada and want to order Chesky discs, get them from their Canadian Distributour. It's worth the extra few dollars IMO!

Hopefully I'll get time to listen to it this week and I'll let y'all know how it sounds :T (If it lives up to the hype!? )
                                                                  Jason

Comment

• mtodde
                                                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                                                    FINALLY got my Swing Live DVD-A!!!!!! :banana:

I ordered it on August 2 though and it just came today :rant: :evil: Two months to get here :roll: If you're in Canada and want to order Chesky discs, get them from their Canadian Distributour. It's worth the extra few dollars IMO!

Hopefully I'll get time to listen to it this week and I'll let y'all know how it sounds :T (If it lives up to the hype!? )
                                                                    It took over 6 weeks within the US on my 1 and only order directly from Chesky. I love their SACDs, but I'll never place another order directly with them. They shipped directly from the Sony plant in Terre Haute. I place most of my orders with Elusive Disc, Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds.

I hope it is as good in DVD-A as it is on SACD.

Comment

• mitch57
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by mtodde
                                                                      It took over 6 weeks within the US on my 1 and only order directly from Chesky. I love their SACDs, but I'll never place another order directly with them. They shipped directly from the Sony plant in Terre Haute. I place most of my orders with Elusive Disc, Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds.

I hope it is as good in DVD-A as it is on SACD.
                                                                      Yeah! Chesky is absolutely terrible when it comes to orders. I ordered 5 disks that should have been here in a week from the date of order. I called them and they kept telling me it should come in the next couple of days. They kept telling me this for two more weeks.

They finally sent me a new order which still took two weeks to get here. A week later I finally received the original order. Lousy packaging, I might add, as well. Another week later I received a 3rd order but with an extra sampler disk included.

The only good thing in the whole affair is they only charged me for one order.

Anyone want to buy my extra copies? They are all shrink wrapped in their original packaging and have never been opened. I have them listed in the "Pawn Shop thread here:

Mitch
                                                                      :stupidpc:

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2004

Roy Orbison on SACD

Our local tv station had Roy Orbison "A Black and White Night" on last night and were raising money by selling the SACD version of the show. Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, most of Elvis' original backing band, KD Lang, Bonnie Rait, Jackson Browne, and several others were all playing along w/ Roy. I ordered the SACD version of the concert on Acoustic Sounds. Does anyone else have this disc or any other Roy Orbison stuff? I'm surprised he isn't mentioned more on here w/ that voice of his.

I'll be interested to see how the SACD version comes out, b/c it sounded like some of the guitars were mixed low on TV. The camera would focus on Bruce rocking out, but you would barely hear his guitar over Roy's. It was kind of humorous actually b/c Bruce would make these weird faces like he's really sawing away on his axe, but I'm looking at my wife saying, "Do you hear his guitar at all?"
                                                                        Christopher

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rotel&energy
                                                                          Our local tv station had Roy Orbison "A Black and White Night" on last night and were raising money by selling the SACD version of the show. Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, most of Elvis' original backing band, KD Lang, Bonnie Rait, Jackson Browne, and several others were all playing along w/ Roy. I ordered the SACD version of the concert on Acoustic Sounds. Does anyone else have this disc or any other Roy Orbison stuff? I'm surprised he isn't mentioned more on here w/ that voice of his.

I'll be interested to see how the SACD version comes out, b/c it sounded like some of the guitars were mixed low on TV. The camera would focus on Bruce rocking out, but you would barely hear his guitar over Roy's. It was kind of humorous actually b/c Bruce would make these weird faces like he's really sawing away on his axe, but I'm looking at my wife saying, "Do you hear his guitar at all?"

I bought the DVD set that included the SACD free. The mix is among the best I have, every instrument is well miked and the vocals are astounding, to me the DVD DTS 5.1 track is as good or better then the SACD. Notice the audience, many are recognizable stars.
                                                                          My Center Channel Project

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2004
                                                                            • 104

Yep, Black and White Night sounds great. Roy was fairly old when it was recorded, but his voice is still outstanding. A great compilation of his best stuff.
                                                                            Christopher

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 2649

Originally posted by rotel&energy
                                                                              Yep, Black and White Night sounds great. Roy was fairly old when it was recorded, but his voice is still outstanding. A great compilation of his best stuff.
                                                                              I agree. It's a very good DVD and The Big O still has a wonderful voice.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2005
                                                                                • 2649

Hi Christopher,

After reading your post yesterday I was inspired to watch A Black & White Night from end to end. Excellent stuff. The concert was recorded in 1987 when Roy was 51. I'm 51 now. Roy died of a heart attack the following year.

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2004
                                                                                  • 104

bigburner,

I thought he was in his 60s....shows how much I know! By the way, I didn't intend to offend w/ the "old" comment. I just wanted to get the point across that he sounds great, while some voices deteriorate w/ age. I bought my brother and my Dad the SACD and gave it to them for Christmas. My Dad playedit immediately and it was the talk of the night. He kept asking me, "When is he going to play Running Scared?!!" It's coming pops! Cool your jets!!!! Of course, everyone shut-up and just listened in awe when it finally did come on.
                                                                                  Christopher

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Sep 2001
                                                                                    • 3161

Mstislav Rostropovich is doing a complete cycle of Shostakovich symphonies with the London Symphony Orchestra. Proving that SACD is not completely dead, the "LSO Live" label is releasing each disc in both a CD and a Hybrid SACD edition. So far, I've had the pleasure of listening to the 8th, the 11th and the 5th. Shostakovich's 5th is probabaly his most widely heard work, and the LSO and Rostropovich give it an electrifying performance -- if you've heard it before, it will almost be like listening to new music; if this is your first exposure, it is a great place to start!

Another worthtwhile recording of note on SACD of Shostakovich's 5th is the Maazel/Cleveland performance on Telarc. You are much more likely to find this one than the LSO at Best Buy or Fry's, given the distribution patterns of classical music labels.

Don't count on it though. The last time I was in my nearest Best Buy, they had cut the classical section to two bins, and it was filled mostly with theme anthology crap such as "Make your baby smart with classical music" or "Make your grownup baby horny with racy photos while listening to classical music" or whatever. But I digress.

Relative availability does not diminish its value. While the CD is astonishingly good for Redbook, the SACD is probably as close to "being there" as you are going to get without actually being there. :>) I listened to both this weekend, and can heartily recommend the SACD as being "worth it".

Linn Records has produced some outstanding SACDs as well. The latest I've been listening to is "Francesco Geminiani: Sonatas for Violincello & Basso Continuo, Op. 5" CKD 251. If you like the baroque music of, say, Telemann, Corelli, Scarlatti or Vivaldi, you will probably like this one, even if you have never heard of the composer before. Even if you've never heard of any of these composers before, it is still worth a listen -- very well produced and played.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 4143

I may have mentioned this one...

Elton John's Madman Across the Water in SACD and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in DVD-A. Tiny Dancer was kind of disappointing , but the depth of the bass in the MATW title track is outstanding. Both releases contain a lot of the raw talent that made EJ a star. My DVD-A is unfortunately played on a crappy HTIB and still sounds very good. My SACD is all two channel. It may be (!) the difference in equipment quality , but the noise floor for some SACDs (Dark Side Of The Moon & the above title) is subterranean.
                                                                                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                                      Schiit Modi 3
                                                                                      Marantz CD5005
                                                                                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                        • Sep 2001
                                                                                        • 3161

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                                                        Not only a virtuoso recording, but a virtuoso performance as well

Yo-Yo Ma's "Solo" album is jaw dropping [Sony Classical SS 64114]
                                                                                        Thanks for that recommendation. When I first read it, I assumed you were talking about the recording quality on this disc, and, now that I've had a chance to hear it for myself, I can confirm that it is as good as you describe.

However, it was a long journey getting to that point (of actually listening for myself). Although I recognize that Yo Yo Ma is a very talented performer, I have felt that his name on the cover has almost become more of a "brand" to sell CDs (and SACDs) than a reliable indicator of enjoyability. Some of his work is frankly off-putting for me. And elsewehere, I had read some less-than-complimentary reviews of the selections included on this disc.

So given the price of discs thse days, I wasn't willing to buy another "showstopper" disc for demo only. I wanted to be sure I'd really enjoy the performances before plunking down my cash. Last week at our local HT group meet, the host played part of the Kodaly sonata on this disc during the SACD portion of our demos. At that point my jaw literally did drop, and I thought "I must buy this". So now, having found a copy on sale locally, it is part of my collection to listen to, not just for demos. but for pleasure. The Kodaly sonata is worth the price of the disc -- and I'm glad they included the other selections as well.

Burke

Comment

• dvda-sacd
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2006
                                                                                          • 33

Caro Mitis SACDs

If you like Bach, you will love this SACD:

J.S. Bach: Oboenwerke, Volume 1 - Alexei Utkin / Hermitage Chamber Orchestra
                                                                                          • Concerto for Oboe d'amore, Strings and Basso Continuo in A major (BWV 1055)
                                                                                          • Concerto for Violin, Oboe, Strings and Basso Continuo in D minor (BWV 1060)
                                                                                          • Concerto for Oboe, Strings and Basso Continuo in F major (BWV 1053)
                                                                                          • Concerto for Oboe, Flute and Violin in D major (trans. BWV 1064)

Recording Details
                                                                                          • Recording Producer: Michael Serebryanyi
                                                                                          • Balance Engineer: Erdo Groot
                                                                                          • Recording Engineer: Roger de Schot
                                                                                          • Editor: Carl Schuurbiers
                                                                                          • Recorded: 5th Studio of The Russian Television and Radio Broadcasting Company, Moscow - July 3-9, 2003
                                                                                          Poll: What is your favorite audio format?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                            • Sep 2001
                                                                                            • 3161

Thanks for the heads up on the Bach Oboe Works SACD. I apprecizte the detail, as well. Makes it a lot easier to find classical releases when you have the data beyond just the title.

Two more pop oriented DVD-Audio discs I've been enjoying recently are Jackson Browne "Running on Empty" and Flaming Lips "Yoshima Battles the Pink Robots". Even if you have both of those on CD, you owe it to yourself to listen to the DVD-A versions. The additional resolution adds clarity and depth. WHile the Jackson Browne album basically keeps the performers up front (with a few exceptions here and there, using the surrounds for ambiance, audience noises and to place spoken voices, the Flaming Lips album was basically re-designed to take advantage of surround, with a lot of interesting effects. If the swirling surround performance is too unsettling, they do have a more "traditional" (if anything by Flaming Lips can be described with that word) :>) two channel hi-res mix on the disk as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"