X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bing Fung
    Somehow I just can't bring myself to buy Pink Floyd DSOTM, even if that is with out a doubt the album that has recieved the most play time in my life. I can't bear to buy another one for I think I have bought this album 6-8 times already :evil:
    Yeah, when I think of all the albums I've bought multiple copies of, it makes me wonder if I wouldn't be able to afford a new DAC from the expense!

You'll not be pleased to hear that I DID by the SACD DSOTM. But then I only have one CD version, so....

It probably is the definitive version, but it's annoying, because they are clipping (digitally) the CD layer, and it is just from earlier releases, while the SACD layer is the total reworked re-mix. I wish they'd done a clean 2 channel down conversion of the SACD layer for the CD layer.

Now, someone that I keep buying the same music or similar music over agai too often is Jacque Loussier Play Bach. His SACD release is quite good; even the Hybrid layer is stunnning. (jazz trio doing jazz interpretations of Bach and other classical composeres; he's on his second trio; I got hooked on him in the early 70's with his first trio, but he "wore out" those side men (too old). He's pretty anceint himself, but he has utterly remarkable energy and playing style; playing with musicians 35 years younger than him now.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Surprised no one has mentioned, the Rolling Stones remasters on SACD are great (stereo only though, as it should be for those). They are hybrids (as are everything I mention here, as I won't buy SACD only titles).

Another interesting one, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells has, rather than a remix of the stereo, a quad mix done as an experiment quite a while ago. Also has a remaster of the stero mix and CD layer.

Probably my favorite multichannel SACDs (this month) are Nickel Creek's. Bluegrass acoustic trio produced (and taught/influenced) by Alison Krause. I like these not only for the music, but also as they are the best examples I have heard (although I have relatively few SACDs yet) of using the multichannel to widen the soundfield compared to stereo, rather than create a real surround, which is not always appropriate.

BB

Comment

• Jayhawk
        • May 2004

SACD/DVD-A recommendations

Does anybody have a link that lists all the SACD/DVD-A titles currently available, or a place where they can be bought on line?

Here is a link that has all of the Sony SACD titles available. There are some titles available that aren't listed on this first page, but you can search from there, and there are titles from other labels available. Check Amazon, they have a huge (though not all inclusive) inventory: http://app2.sonymusic.com/SACDTranslator/0,,act=search$$$artist=$$$title=,00.html?act=searc h&artist=&title=

As far as additional SACDs go, try: Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King, In session (hard to find, but worth it); Norah Jones, Come away with me (over-played, but a good SACD); and David Bowie, Heathen.

For Classical SACDs: Beethoven's 5th & 7th, Carlos Klieber; Bach's Goldberg variations, Glenn Gould; 1812 Overture (telarc label - I can't spell Tchaikovsky); and Rhapsody in Blue/An American in Paris/Grand Canyon Suite, Leonard Berstein.

Generally speaking, I prefer the SACDs to DVD-As - they seem to have more depth and clarity. That having been said, here are a couple DVD-As that I have and like: Queensryche, Empire (the only "hard rock" DVD-A or SACD that I have really liked); Foreigner, 4; Eagles, Hotel California and Hell Freezes Over (Hotel California was one of the first, and is still one of the best); and Eric Clapton and BB King, Riding with the King.

There are some others that I haven't particularly liked - good music but the new format didn't add anything. They are as follows: Toto, IV; Stone Temple Pilots, Core; Alice in Chains, Greatest Hits; and Boston, Boston.

Thanks for the recommendations. Now I've got to save my pennies for more music.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Guide Jayhawk.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Welcome aboard Jayhawk. Just so you guys know, I talked him into joining.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Hi ya David, welcome to The Guide! :later:

Excellent choice in a name, by the way. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Thanks Jayhawk :T

Stevie Ray and Nora woul dbe awesome to get on SACD. I have been looking at me Local A&B for them.....

I seen that Toto IV and wantd to get it just for Africa and Rosanna. I had read afterward that the SACD didn;t really sond that good at all. So now that you mention it, I'll just settle with my Toto IV redbook.

Jon, It seems as I will have to drop down and purchase yet another DSOTM. I was reading a review (Read review here) that stated that although we may all know this album inside out, that the Multi surround track is still worth purchasing DSOTM if only to hear what would be considered the standard for how good a multi sound track can sound in SACD. Apperently it handily beats the Mobile Fidelity remastered RB CD, even on the SACD's CD layer. Ohh, I'm such a sucker for reviews like this..... : What do you think? Just Do it?

I seen a Fourplay SACD that I think I will have to get as well...
                Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Well, the DSOTM was gone... :cry:

I did get :

On DVD-A. This is awesome, and i actually like the multi channel mix. Typical Dan, so if you a fan I would say you won't be disappointed. You know how Dan always has the wind chimes? They make good use of the surround on this DVD-A

What can i say, it's Fourplay! Love this DVD-A sofar!!
                  Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Bing,

I'm glad you are enjoying the new discs. I think those are two groups that could sound good even singing from under a rock! :lol:
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Bing, indeed I've heard the same things about DSOTM. Supposed to be one of the top examples of multichannel SACD available. Period. I bought a copy even though I can't currently play SACD but even the CD layer sounds :T Pick it up when you get a chance and let us know

BTW, I've got Steely Dan Two Against Nature, sounds awesome as well :T

Jason
                      Jason

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by John Holmes
                        Bing,

I'm glad you are enjoying the new discs. I think those are two groups that could sound good even singing from under a rock! :lol:

True enough John :lol:

Jason, I'll def snag DSOTM if it ever see it again. I have not heard Two Against Nature... Worth getting content wise?

You know if I were to pick one format that I prefer for the coolnest factor, it would be the DVD-A. I love the extras and the Graphic Jackets during playback. The Fourplay DVD-A has nice changing graphics for each induvidual song track :T
                        Bing

Comment

• gostan
                          • May 2003

I am have been listening to a new John Hiatt DVD-A recording of Bring The Family. The recording was originally released in 1987 and includes a great surrounding cast of Ry Cooder on electric guitar, Jim Keltner on drums and Nick Lowe on Electric Bass with the incomparable John Hiatt on acoustic guitar and vocal. You either love John's voice or not, but he has never sounded better. Thing Called Love and Have A Little Faith In Me are such well written songs.

I do not have the original recording in cd, so I cannot make any comparisons to it, but the fullness and clarity of the vocals and instruments makes this one worth the investment of owning.

Stan
                          Stan

Comment

• glangston@socal
                            • May 2004

Pet Sounds

Just listened to this and it has some wonderful songs on it. The bonus tracks include some vocal-less versions (good for Karaoke!!) of several songs. I didn't have any version of this to compare it to so.......

Interesting notes state that the Beach Boys were more popular than the Beatles in England at one time.

I think Brian Wilson was very gifted musically and got it out on this record.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Another one I want to get It's DVD-A right?

Jason
                              Jason

Comment

• gostan
                                • May 2003

The Pet Sounds DVD-A is worth the price for the early (historic) music video attempts by the Beach Boys. Watching them jump off a diving board in full white suits into the water in a swimming pool during one of them is very 60's.

Stan
                                Stan

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

For those who's tastes are a somewhat out of the mainstream, (meaning difficult listening) and have fairly high resolution speakers, this is an astounding recording.

For those "mature" :wink: enough to remember the original Sheffield Labs Direct to Disk LPs, this is a 2 track, direct to disc, DSD recording

"River of Sorrow" Immortal Chinese Instruments. [FIM SACD 032]
                                  __________________________________________________ _______________

Not only a virtuoso recording, but a virtuoso performance as well

Yo-Yo Ma's "Solo" album is jaw dropping [Sony Classical SS 64114]

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Yes Sony, SACD. Can't play that on mt Denon 1600 :M. Been wanting to hear Yo Yo Ma in high-res forever... :cry:

Jason
                                    Jason

Comment

• NMyTree
                                      • May 2004

Has anyone heard Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on DVD-A?

Is it an improvement?

I have the Remaster Redbook CD and I'm very disappointed :M . The sound sucks barbwire.

Most of the Elton John Remasters are very good, but this one really leaves a lot to be desired.
                                      Last edited by NMyTree; 31 July 2004, 15:42 Saturday.
                                      Tony

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Seem to remember reading a few good reviews when it came out. Haven't heard it myself though...

Jason
                                        Jason

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2003

Didn't see these posted (for you jazz enthusiasts):

Brian Bromberg - Jaco (DVD-A)
                                          Dave Koz - The Dance (DVD-A)
                                          Pieces of a Dream - No Assembly Required (SACD)
                                          David Sanborn - timeagain (both DVD-A & SACD --- I actually like the SACD better)
                                          Spyro Gyra - In Modern Times (SACD)
                                          Spyro Gyra - Original Cinema (SACD)
                                          Spyro Gyra - The Deep End (SACD)
                                          Gerald Veasley - Velvet (SACD)
                                          Peter White - Glow (SACD)

Enjoy!

Jim
                                          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• glangston@socal
                                            • May 2004

Looking at it.

Originally posted by NMyTree
                                            Has anyone heard Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on DVD-A?

Is it an improvement?

I have the Remaster Redbook CD and I'm very disappointed :M . The sound sucks barbwire.

Most of the Elton John Remasters are very good, but this one really leaves a lot to be desired.
                                            I always thought the vinyl sounded good and eventually got a half-speed mastered version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Don't have the CD and doubt I'll be getting the DVD A. His Greatest Hits album sounded very good too.

Comment

• Bearcat99
                                              • Sep 2004

Okay so this is my first post here and its been like 5 months since Bing asked if there was a website that listed all the SACDs or DVD-A's made, but.....this website has an extensive list of SACD's and DVD-A's. Plus it has reviews and they really seem to be in the know on upcoming releases.

High Fidelity Review

Hope this is useful.

Personally, I really like Norah Jones' Come Away With Me on SACD. I keep waiting for Feels Like Home to come out on SACD so I don't end up owning 2 copies like I do with Come Away With Me but no luck yet. I like the improved "no sweetspot seating required" soundstage because of the center speaker.

I also have both the stereo SACD and a "20-bit" remastered CD of Glenn Gould playing Bach's Partita Nos 1 and 2 on piano. The one thing I noticed with the SACD was a "blacker" background - it was like all the background noise had been wiped away. That pretty much sold me on SACD. Of course I own a Sony player so no DVD-A for me just yet.

The Absolute Sound did a nice comparison of the SACD and DVD-A versions of Elton John's GYBR and Steely Dan's Gaucho in the August/September issue. They liked the SACD of Gaucho and the DVD-A of GYBR, although they said there were differences in the mastering of each that didn't make it a head-to-head comparison of the 2 formats.

Looking forward to many more posts!

Matt

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2000

Thomas, I'm very intrigued with that "River of Sorrow"

I certainly remember Sheffield Labs Direct to Disk LPs, I remember them being around $50 for one back in the late 70's early 80s (reg LP = $9- $12). They were all the rage for those fotunate enough to get or afford them.

Jimmy, nice to see you're a big fan of Spyro gyra, I really dig them too, same goes for Peter White :yesnod: May have to look for those. I know our stores in town don't have them. I have been looking forward to visiting my buddy in Calgary and doing some SACD/DVD-A shopping there.

BearCat, has it been 5 months that I have owned a Universal player? :E My but how the time flys! Welcome to the guide and thanks for the contributions.

Here is a strange one. I saw the Police "Every Breath You Take" in what looked to be a DVD-A at A&B sound.

Image hosted by Amazon.com

I was so excited until I studied it some more to realize it is not a DVD-A persay, rather its a DTS / DVD(?) Whats up with this? Would it sound OK? Needless to say I didn't buy it until I found out more. I absolutely love this album and desparately want it in the newer formats. I seen it on SACD, however really wanted it on DVD-A for the extras.... Also I heard the SACD does not have a Multi channel layer which I'm kinda in to right now.

I can only imagine how good the title song "Wrapped around your finger" sounds... The Drum beat and cymbals have created a lasting memorable tympanic work in that song, it has got to be one of my favorites
                                                Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2000

OK, I thought I seen the above album on SACD, however I was mistaken, A&B only had it in that DTS Audio. So I bought it.

I think it sounds OK, I'm not crazy abou the Multi CHannel Audio on this one, However my system is in a disaray and half assembled right now, so it may not be a fair assement.
                                                  Bing

Comment

• dave
                                                    • Aug 2003

Bing, You're not mistaken, I own a copy of The Police "every breath you take"
                                                    on SACD and it's a hybrid to boot! now on another note, did you ever find a copy of Pink Floyds DSOTM??? the reason I am asking is there are about 10 copies of it at the local Best Buy and YES it really does blow away all it's
                                                    previous releases. You might check Best Buy out. Another SACD thats worthy
                                                    of looking into is The Allman Brothers "Eat a Peach" and "Live at Filmore East"
                                                    both of these recordings are above and beyond any past recording of these
                                                    discs. Still I have to say my favorite sounding SACD is Mark 'O' Connor
                                                    "The American Seasons" this is a wonderful recording.
                                                    Dave...

Comment

• dave
                                                      • Aug 2003

Oh, one more thing, My SACD of the Police does give you the choices of,
                                                      SACD Multi/Ch. SACD Stereo, or you can play it on your CD player as well.
                                                      this disc is also at Best Buy and they have alot of copies available.
                                                      Dave...

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2000

Hey Dave, Yeah, i thought I seen it there in SACD, but it must have sold as it was there no longer, so I bought this DTS disk. It's pretty good, but I bet not as good as the Hybrid SACD.

Funny you should ask about DSOTM. :lol: I picked that up today as well. It really sounds like a different album doesn't it? Familiar, yet some how new. Finally I have the resolution to clearly make out what Roger Waters is mumbling about so maniacaly in the back ground

I only listened to it breifly, however I felt myself wishing I would have had this version for my mispent youth... I mean that original LP on my father's console hi fi stereo transported me to places I have never been before while listening, to have the multi channel and my system now would have been almost deadly in proportion

Im not sure 2 channel only pundants would like the multichannel mix, however I liked it very much. It reminded me of when I seen Pink floyd in concert, they played in their Stadium surround sound, and this album remined me of it.
                                                        Bing

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Bing Fung
                                                          Im not sure 2 channel only pundants would like the multichannel mix, however I liked it very much. It reminded me of when I seen Pink floyd in concert, they played in their Stadium surround sound, and this album remined me of it.
                                                          While I usually do not like music mixes where the surround channels have instruments and voices popping up in them instead of just giving us the ambiance of the performing space, "Dark Side of the Moon" is one album where such a surround mix is very effective. It isn't "cheating" for the sound engineers to mix it that way, since as you point out, that is the way Pink Floyd actually performed the set in concert.

I hate it, though, when I see a video of a performance such as the Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" and clearly see all the instruments on stage up front, and then hear guitars and percussion from the rear speakers. That's when they've gone too far being "creative", IMO.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• dave
                                                            • Aug 2003

Glad You scored on a copy of this one Bing! I too am in agreement with the superior
                                                            way they did the surround mix on DSOTM I own the disc in the Mo-Fi ultra/disc gold
                                                            and also on SACD and I really do prefer the sound quality of the SACD It's more dynamic. Heres one to be on the lookout for, I've heard that "Wish You Were Here"
                                                            is supposed to be released sometime in the future. Has anyone noticed how many things are sterting to be released on SACD??? theres a lot of 'The Kinks' material being
                                                            released even a George Harrison concert called George Harrison/Live In Japan was released a while back. On the other side of the coin I picked up a DVD Audio disc a couple of weeks ago, Paul Simon/Your The One. I picked it up the same time as
                                                            Aaron Neville/Nature Boy on DVD audio the recording on both of these is super however I am in complete agreement with your statement regarding Nature Boy,
                                                            after a couple of tracks his voice gets on my nerves as well, its too bad because the
                                                            disc sounds like it was painstakingly put together. Anyway also check out Jeff Beck/
                                                            Blow by Blow on SACD It's a vast improvement over its redbook counterpart.

Have Fun!!!
                                                            Dave...

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2000

Dave, wish you were here would be nice in SACD or DVD-A :T

Its been years since I listened to Jeff Beck Blow by Blow 8)

I really have been listening to mt 2 Steely Dans on DVD-A of late, just becuase of the sonic punch of the bass, and they simple sound awesome in Multi Channel sound.

I agree Burke, I find when I listening and watching a DVD Music Video, I tend to like the PCM stereo track because the performers are visually in front of you, so when Bongos in you left ear appear, it's wierd to say the least. However when it's a properly done SACD/DVD-A it feels as if I have big powerfull head phones on, where the sound field is all around me :T Some are so good they make the main speakers seem as if they are 10 feet wide, IE the sound emulates somewhere between the left main and left surround.
                                                              Bing

Comment

• Foxman
                                                                • Jan 2003

This is an older thread but maybe someone can benefit here. In my signature it lists my Hi REz music. Click on that and youll see what I have and prefer.

I don't recall seeing anyone mention Nickle Creek and can say that it is fabulous. Both SACD's that I have I rank as a 10 along with DSOTM. Allison Krause Live at Union Station someone did mention and it is very good as well.

I just recently purchased the Eric Claptopn / BB King "Riding with the King". I love this disk! Instant classic and is ranked a bit low, I need to update it.

I also highly recomend the Metalica and Linkin Park if you like Hard Rock. The Linkin Park I highly recomend because of it's insane use of the surround speakers.

I wasnt blown away with the Police, Billy Joel, Blue Oyster Cult or the Aerosmith. The Elton John GBYBR was very good and will be getting two of his new SACD releases in the next day or two along with two Eric Claptons.

Roger Waters "The Wall Live in Berline" is fun for its variety of lead vocals, but really I think I would have enjoyed the video more as this concert in SACD doesnt take as much advantage of surround as I would like and sometimes live recordings are hard to appreciate on a high quality recording (at least to me) and this is one of those kinds.

I never owned a Steely Dan CD or anything until these two I have Guacho SACD and Two against Nature DVDA. Sound wise these are excellent content wise I prefer Gaucho to the Two against Nature.

All for now. :T
                                                                IMO

My Movies
                                                                Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• kode3
                                                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                                                                  Metallica - This probably the first DVD-A that I couldn't actually pick a clear winner between the 5.1 vs 2-channel tracks. They both sounded awesome! The 5.1 mix sounds great, surrounding you with a full onslaught of heavy metal fury. It's very well mixed meaning the surrounds are used to make a bigger soundstage and ocassional throw in the odd effect for added drama, nothing gimmicky just auditory goodness. The 2-channel was just as good sacrifing some of that room filling surround for clearer sound. It was especially evident on intro's to songs where there was maybe just a couple of imstruments and the rumbling vocals and then the rise hits you like a brick wall. A very nice sounding brick wall

I agree, I just picked up the DVD-A. I think it's great, I really enjoy #8, it's really clear. The powers that control DVD-A just need to make more titles! I want to buy them, but there hard to find and a lot of artists I want are not on it yet
                                                                  -kode3
                                                                  My Home Theater

Comment

• dave
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

In agreement with Nickel Creek I own both of thier releases on SACD, as well as the one by Chris Thile which is Nickel Creeks Mandolin player all 3 of these SACDs are highly recommended if you are into kind of a progressive bluegrass.

Elton John GBYBR is much better on SACD that that of its redbook CD predicessor and if you already enjoy the previously mentioned SACD, then you will more than likely enjoy,
                                                                    Madman Across the Water and Honky Chateau as well. These are remastered every bit as well as GBYBR.

A must for those Clapton fans is the new release of The Layla Sessions on SACD
                                                                    like Eat a Peach and Live at Filmore East by the Allman Brothers, this newest incarnation of Layla Sessions BLOWS AWAY any of the previously issued cd media
                                                                    Dave...

Comment

• aud19
                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2003

I receieved Santana's Shaman, Sheryl Crow's Globe Sessions and Eagles Hotel California DVD-A's for Xmas! Haven't listened yet but will give my impressions when I've had the chance.

I think I'll pick up Sinatra at the Sands and Bucky Pizzarelli's Swing Live myself as well.
                                                                      Jason

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2004

Fantastic thread...

I have bought several SACD's & DVD-A's and at the moment contemplating Steely Dan's "Gaucho" but not sure if to go with the SACD or DVD-A version.

Interesting comments in Bearcat99's post

The Absolute Sound did a nice comparison of the SACD and DVD-A versions of Elton John's GYBR and Steely Dan's Gaucho in the August/September issue. They liked the SACD of Gaucho and the DVD-A of GYBR, although they said there were differences in the mastering of each that didn't make it a head-to-head comparison of the 2 formats.
                                                                        Do any others have a preference for which format is the better, I have heard the SACD version, and is the one I was going to buy, but seeing it is also available as DVD-A, just not sure, as I don't know anyone with the DVD-A version.

Also agree with others about Roxy Music "Avalon" a step above the HDCD version and also Diana Krell "When I look in your eyes" fantastic recording.

Another one I purchased yesterday was Harry Connick JR "We are in love" SACD stereo, this is a fantasic recording as is the CD, although the SACD has another level of detail. The whole disc is a good listen, and tracks 6 & 7 have the added advantage of me using when I evaluate stereo systems.
                                                                        Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• aud19
                                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 16706

Originally posted by aud19
                                                                          I receieved Santana's Shaman, Sheryl Crow's Globe Sessions and Eagles Hotel California DVD-A's for Xmas! Haven't listened yet but will give my impressions when I've had the chance.

I think I'll pick up Sinatra at the Sands and Bucky Pizzarelli's Swing Live myself as well.
                                                                          Well I got the Sinatra disc this afternoon but no Swing Live, i'll have to order that in next week. I did also pick up Santana's Supernatural, can't wait to give all my new discs a listen! :P

Jason
                                                                          Jason

Comment

• shokhead
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2005
                                                                            • 22

If you can go with a SACD hybrid and play it anywhere vs a DVD-A and only play it on your home player,it seems the SACD would be the way to go.

Comment

• jaakan
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Dec 2002
                                                                              • 98

#83
                                                                              I have Magnepans MG12s for 4 channel Listening and for 2 channel listening I use Stax SR34s. My picks tests the limits of a system and sound good on a hand full of system that I have setup and or heard.

SACDs
                                                                              Pink F... : Darkside of the Moon
                                                                              Fleetwood Mac : Rumours

DVDAs
                                                                              Blue Man Group : Audio
                                                                              The Crystal Method : Legion of Boom
                                                                              Bjork : Vespertine
                                                                              Studio Voodoo : Studio Voodoo

Here my short wish list
                                                                              the real Quad version of Darkside of the Moon
                                                                              Jimi Hendrix : Electric Ladyland
                                                                              and a good surround sound version of The Planets

Later Jaakan

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2003
                                                                                • 16706

#84
                                                                                Originally posted by shokhead
                                                                                If you can go with a SACD hybrid and play it anywhere vs a DVD-A and only play it on your home player,it seems the SACD would be the way to go.
                                                                                DVD-A is moving to the "Dual Disc" format which has "both a CD side and a DVD side, allowing artists to create in exciting new ways using audio, video and computer content -- all on a single two-sided disc."

See this link for more info:

Also, check out this link for one person's views on which format is better:

Jason
                                                                                Jason

Comment

• jaakan
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2002
                                                                                  • 98

#85
                                                                                  A few CD players can't play the CD layer of SACDs hybrids, there is already talk of the same problem with "Dual Disc"

Meridian on DualDisc
                                                                                  Meridian Audio Ltd. is the latest electronics maker to weigh in on the continuing DualDisc controversy.DualDiscs combine CD content on one side with a DVD on the other, making them slightly thicker than ordinary optical discs. Many DualDiscs have DVD-Audio content in one or more of the layers on the DVD side.

Comment

• bimmer528
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 87

#86
                                                                                    Picked up Big Head Todd DVDA "Crimes of Passion" today at best buy.

Sound-Fantastic

If your a rock/r&b/Jazz type- Check out BHTM.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2004
                                                                                      • 520

#87
                                                                                      Well, finally after buying three Fleetwood Mac-Rumors DVD-Audio discs and returning them promptly, (All three) which were scratched and scuffed beyond reason; I bought a fourth and a miracle occured......the DVD-Audio disc is in perfect shape! Finally!!

I have my Quad 12L in a half-assed set up and ......WOW, was I stunned by this DVD-Audio! Absolutely beautiful sound! If it sounds this good with this half-A** set-up; I can only imagine how it will sound when I have it set up with the best of my gear.

Second Hand News just simply blows me away. So smooth.....so clear and detailed. The whole album sounds this way! I love it!

While it was certainly a pain in my booty to get three in row, which were damaged, I'm delighted I didn't give up on finding a good one. I love DVD-Audio!

At the same time I picked up R.E.M. -Automatic For The People. I'm equally impressed and so happy with this one. Right off the bat, "Drive " just delights my ears.

Also picked up Pink Floyd -Dark Side Of The Moon SACD. My DVD player doesn't do SACD, even though this disc is a hybrid, I'll wait till I get a SACD player, before playing it.

My DVD-Audio collection is starting to grow a litte. Over the last four months I've also picked up Grateful Dead- American Beauty, Ray Brown- Soular Energy, The Fix- 1011 Woodland, Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive (25th Anniversary) and Neil Young's Harvest.

More to come. I have quite a few DVD-A on my list.

I'm also looking forward to Mark Knopfler's -Sailing To Philadelphia on DVD-Audio. I believe it will be released in April.

More to come.

Does anyone know if Fleetwood Mac-Fleetwood Mac (with Rhiannon) is available on DVD-Audio?

If it isn't, it should be!! And....Tusk...too!
                                                                                      Last edited by NMyTree; 11 March 2005, 13:26 Friday.
                                                                                      Tony

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2001
                                                                                        • 2193

#88
                                                                                        Originally posted by jaakan
                                                                                        A few CD players can't play the CD layer of SACDs hybrids, there is already talk of the same problem with "Dual Disc"

Meridian on DualDisc
                                                                                        http://www.stereophile.com/news/122704meridian/
                                                                                        Oddly, my pioneer DVD deck can't play the CD layer of SACDs. I don't need it to, but it should play them as it is supposed to play redbook CDs.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                                          • 16877

#89
                                                                                          So does Dual disc mean CD and DVD-A? Or CD and DVD-V?
                                                                                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                                            • 429

#90
                                                                                            Chris,

From what I've seen it varies from label to label. Some disks are CD on one side and DVD-A and DVD-V on the other. However, most of the ones I have seen are CD on one side and DVD-V with 5.1 Dolby Digital on the other side. I have even seen some with CD on one side and what they call "Enhanced PCM Stereo" on the DVD side.

What really sucks is that if it's anything but DVD-A on the DVD side the player won't automatically play the Dolby Digital track. You have to go into the menu of the DVD disk and select Dolby Digital or surround sound in order for the player to see it as Dolby Digital DVD.

So far I have not been impressed with the Dual Disk format. Originally I assumed that the DVD side would always contain a DVD-A soundtrack. But I see now that most labels don't contain a DVD-A soundtrack but contain either "Enhanced PCM Stereo" or Dolby Digital surround sound.

Read the back of the Disk carefully. If it's truly a DVD-A recording on the DVD side it will say something like "DVD SIDE: Entire album in Advanced Resolution Surround - 96KHz/24-bit and Advanced Resolution Stereo - 96KHz/24-bit." Also look for the DVD Audio symbol. If you don't see that then it's not DVD-A on the DVD side.

Hope that helps.
                                                                                            Mitch
                                                                                            :stupidpc:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"