X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Gov't Mule? Any Fans Here?

I had never heard of the band Gov't Mule before last night. There is a write-up on them in the latest issue of Stereophile and it's got my ears a' twitching. The founder is Warren Haynes of The Allman Brothers (the second incarnation) fame.

Which of their albums would be a good primer?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

David,

A few months ago, someone here at HTG recommended Gov'T Mule's The Deep End, which I bought and is great. A lot of great guest bass guitarists, including Jack Bruce, who starts off the whole show with a Cream flavored song. It's the only one I have by them, but it is fantastic. A group I"d love to see live.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• dave
      • Aug 2003

That,s one I,ve never heard of before. Can you guys give me an idea of what thier sound is like? sounds interesting :?

dave
      Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Dave, they started out as a "jam-band" and progressed into Southern rock, R&B, etc.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Based on my one CD, they would fall into the Southern rock/blues category. More obviously, they compare to the Allman Brothers, in large part because Warren Haynes sounds a lot like Gregg Allman vocally. But, I'd have to say that, while sticking to their roots, they venture beyond traditional Southern music into things like funk, well with Bootsy Collins sitting in, that would be expected. When Jack Bruce takes on bass duties, it is very Cream-like. At other times, the guitar lines remind me of people like Jimi Hendrix and Neil Young. You can definitely tell they are very tied to some of the 60's giants.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• dave
            • Aug 2003

Thanks alot for the input on this. When I get some discs i,ll be back. This band sounds interesting.

dave
            Dave...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"