X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Suggestions for Christmas music

I thought with Thanksgiving behind us now, we could began a list of various cd's, albums, etc; that others may enjoy for the holiday season.

My first pick:

I think this is one of the classic voices of christmas! And is a must have in anyone's holiday music collection.

The cd that I own is: CDP 7-46318-2 Capital Records. This is a 1986 release, which has 14 tracks and is an AAD recording. However, there is a newer 1999 release. This updated version, has 20 tracks which includes a duet with daughter Natalie.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Some of my favorite Christmas CDs:

Mannheim Steamroller - they have 4 Christmas CDs now, get 'em all

Boney M - Happy Christmas - an import CD and one of my favorites.

Time-Life Treasury of Christmas

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Our favorites include

John Denver and the muppets
      Roger Whitikker christmas CD
      Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton's christmas CD
      Celine Dion's christmas CD

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Strange , but I have rarely bought Christmas albums or cds. I have a few in my LP collection by various artists, but the only somewhat Christmas cd I own is this:

Jimmy Buffet : Christmas Island

"How'd you like to spend Christmas on Christmas Island ? "

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Mannheim Steamroller - they have 4 Christmas CDs now, get 'em all
          I have one of the four cd's and also have one of their Christmas dvd's. They are a great group. I truly enjoy their unique style of sound. I'll post more on the dvd later.

Great stuff guys, let's keep them coming!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

Bing Crosby White Christmas
            Any of the Christmas albums/CDs by Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Mel Torme, Tony Bennett. All the lounge lizards have great Christmas albums.
            Speaking of Tony Bennett, who has heard his CD with KD Lange? It is a real surprise.

Comment

• Eduardo
              Moderator emeritus
              • Jun 2002

This is one of my favorites

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Bob, I plan to get that Tony Bennett/KD Lang cd. Heard it was great.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Handel: Messiah
                  Boston Baroque (nominated for a Grammy for this performance -- it is outstanding anyway) :>)
                  Telarc - #80322 (so you know the sound is superb)

I have heard a number of performances of this work, abridged and complete, recorded and live, and this one is about as good as it gets. (The only one I've liked better was a live performance that unfortunately was not recorded.) Inspired singing and playing with attention to detail in both the vocal and instrumental parts that you just don't hear from the typical neighborhood church choir. And glorious sound -- the kind that make the investment in a good system worthwhile.

You can hear samples athttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details

This one also plays well at Easter (in case you only listen to classical music twice a year). :>) Highly recommended anytime.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Pat
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Now for something completely different

Gary Hoey, I have Vol1,2 & 3 of his Christmas albums.

I'm not much into Christmas music but I like these.

Here is a snippit from Amazon
                    Editorial Reviews
                    Amazon.com
                    One of the few unapologetic technical guitar wizards to come out of the '90's rock scene, Gary Hoey at first glance seemed to have more in common with Yngwie Malmsteen than Chet Atkins. His three Christmas albums, however--the best of which are distilled here--gave Hoey a chance to demonstrate his chops. Comprised entirely of holiday standards, this album shows Hoey can definitely play those Eddie Van Halen-style riffs, but he also explores surf, country, jazz, proto-metal, folk, pop and old-school rock & roll. "God Rest" opens with an acoustic classical motif before bursting into a thunderous metal riff worthy of Black Sabbath. --Bill Holdship

Pat's Page
                    Pat's Page

Comment

• Bob
                      • Jul 2000

I forgot the most important, must have, Christmas album:
                      Alvin and the Chipmonks!!!

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

From the guilty pleasures list: Christmas In Sarajevo by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

David - HTGuide flunky
                        Our "Theater"
                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

This dvd is so skillfully done, it would be impossible for most music, video, enthusiast to not enjoy it. Done in Dolby 5.1, it proves that when done correctly, 5.1 music can be extremely moving. I hesitate to clasify the music because, it moves in and out of many different genres. Though, the group uses an orchestral accompliment, you would be hard pressed to say it's classical.

It's scale of video, (used to support the on stage musicians) is unmatched. It flows very well with the music and brings depth to each song.

This disc is worth more than it's price of admission. Wonderful holiday music!

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

"Jazz to the World" is a "smooth jazz" style of christmas album. With many (21) artist, it does not lack variety. Diana Krall does a soulful strut with "Have yourself a merry little christmas". Cassandra Wilson has a wonderful rendition of "The little drummer boy" (very powerful). Dianne Reeves and Lou Rawls simply give a jawdropping performance of "Baby it's cold outside".

Other artist on the cd are: Herb Alpert, Jeff Lober, Fourplay, Stanley Clarke, George Duke, Dave Koz, Michael Franks, The Becker brothers w/Steve Khan, Herbie Hancock, Holly Cole, John McLaughlin, Anita Baker, Chick Corea, Dr. John, Eliane Elias and Steps Ahead.

With all this talent, it could have been a fantastic disc. Instead, it has about 4 or 5 very nice cuts and the rest are ok fillers. Overall, I like the cd but, it is for the most part, very mellow with few exceptions. Not the traditional upbeat sounds of the holidays.

Comment

• Robbie
                              • Aug 2000

Ah yes, Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Great stuff...

But my all time favorite is John Denver & the Muppets.

+The smooth voice of Nat King Cole.

Happy Holidays Everyone

Robbie

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

A lot of traditional songs on this one. Babyface does a nice job on this disc imo. It only contains one original song and that isn't even a christmas song. But, for those that swing towards R&B or upbeat Jazz, this cd should foot the bill for adding to the holiday spirit.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"