X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

MFSL Gold CD's

Are the Mobile Fidelity gold CD's worth the cost? I'm be interested in U2's Joshua Tree but it seems to be rather pricey!

• John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hello Andrew,

I been meaning to listen to a "gold cd" since circa 86 or so. And still have yet to do so. So, I too am interested in any response.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Me too I keep seeing them around but have yet to honeslty give one a try. I found one review comparing the gold U2 disc to the original and it was positive for the Joshua Tree disc but minor impromens for another U2 disc (War?)

Comment

• Pat
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

I have a couple of MFSL discs

I haven't paid more than $30 for one...$100...I'd pass

They do sound good. Better than the regular versions...at least the ones that I have both versions of.

Pat's Page
        Pat's Page

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Hoochie mama! $110.50 for a CD? They ought to rename it "Platinum Tree". :>) I have "Joshua Tree" -- on a standard CD -- and it is certainly a fine album, but no single CD is worth that price, IMO. Maybe a "complete works of Schubert" on multiple CDs for that price (but wait -- I got a 12 CD set of all his symphonies and piano works on clearance sale for less than $20 and it sounds pretty good even though it isn't "gold"). :>)

I have a Mobile Fidelity Gold (MFG) CD of my favorite "pop" album of all time -- Joan Baez "Diamonds And Rust". I also had the original non-"gold" CD, but of course the Mobile Fidelity disc sounds better -- it isn't all scratched up like the other one. :>) I also got the MFG in a special sale for about $25 -- I would never have paid $100 for it -- there simply isn't that much, if any, sonic difference to justify the price. Maybe a little lower noise floor if you really listen carefully in low level passages.

I bought the MFG disc because I wanted a test of the medium with material I already knew very well (it is a very clean production, but then so was the original) I needed a replacement (it IS my favorite album, after all) :>) and the price was slightly reduced from its usual "double-the-price-of-a-regular-CD". I liked the result but I think the cachet is more for packaging and concept than in actual superiority of product where it counts -- in my ears. :>) I have taken a pass on some other Gold discs when a good standard CD issue was still available.

But some folks tell me that certain albums that had lousy initial CD mastering benefited from the MFG treatment -- kind of like a DVD reissued in a Criterion edition after suffering a really crappy original release as a standard DVD. Unfortunately I do not have a list of titles in hand.

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thanks Pat and Burke.

If I stumble across one that I like at a good price than I'll give it a spin. But, no way would I spend that (msrp) on a cd. I'd buy an Apex DVD player first.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

I own 3 MFSL Gold CD's and believe they are well worth the extra..... not anywhere close to a bill though.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (~$30)
              Pink Floyd - The Wall (Limited Edition) (~$50)
              James Newton Howard & Friends (~$25)

Excellent SQ in comparison to the regular CD's.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Anyone know what these things go for in Canada ?

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

Hey George, I purchased these way back when they were still producing them. I did a search the other day for some and came back with some pretty ridiculous prices. $75 up to $425.

I would figure they are gonna cost the same anywhere you find them.

I did read though, that MSFL was supposedly planning on producing more in the future.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

$425 for a cd ? Holy mackeral :roll:

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

Hey, it made me feel good because it was Pink Floyd - The Wall, which is one that I own. I know it was a limited edition but I can't imagine anyone wanting it that bad.

Here's the link:

UDCD 2-537, Pink Floyd, The Wall, Sealed LONGBOX, $425

After going back and looking they do have some that are not so expensive. Some are as low as $20 or so, but for the most part they are higher. Some are open box and still very high.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Robbie
                        • Aug 2000

$425 for a cd ? Holy mackeral
                        At $425 I don't think mackeral has anything to do with it. 8O

Robbie

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

I have two gold CD's: Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan and Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd. Yes, both are better, but $100 - $400 better - you gotta be kidding me. For that kind of money, I'd take the money I'd save on the CD's and save up for something like the Rega Planet 2000 CD player and significantly improve the sound of all my CD's.

Keith
                          Keith

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"