X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TSG
    • Jan 2003

Gold CDs

Hi all..

I recently purchased a few Mobile Fidelity and DCC gold disks. I was wondering if anyone has any gold disks and what your thoughts on them are? I do not have the regular version of the ones I purchased so I don't know whether they are of higher quality... but they do sound very good. If you have compared I'd be interested in your findings.

Thanks

Tom
    Tom
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Tom,

No, I don't own any of the MoFi Gold CD's but I did get to hear an A/B test of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon a few years ago. Yes, there is an improvement over "regular" CD's. Better detial definitely - subjectively better dynamics (a lower noise floor?), and cleaner bass.

Enjoy 'em man! I don't think you can go wrong with those. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

I have had Joan Baez Diamonds and Rust on vinyl, regular CD and MF Gold Disc CD. This one happens to be my favorite pop album of all time, so over the years, I've listened to all three copies a lot. The regular CD is no longer playable so I cannot do a side-by-side comparison anymore, but when I first bought the Gold Disc, I did compare them and noticed a marginal improvement in the spaciousness and clarity of the sound. I did not consider it to be "twice as good" although it was twice as expensive. So, although I'm glad to have paid extra to get the "best" release one of my fave album, I would not spend it for albums of less importance to me -- and for sure not for one being bought on "spec" (i.e., not heard before).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

The value to these issues stems not from the use of a gold plate on the disk (though it looks nice but because in all cases they've gone back to tapes closer to the original master, if not the actual multi-tracks. Just look at the hoops gone through for the new Stones hybrid SACD releases, or the multi-track DSOTM.

This is something that's been going on for a long time; while some of the major labels have done their own "gold" releases (such as the Sony SBM (super bit map) disks of the 80's, there's been an awful lot of stuff remastered and re-released in the last 3-5 years. And without the gold, though sometimes not without price increases. .. :roll:

On the one hand, I'm very irritated that they did such a "shoddy" job on a lot of the early and middle CD releases- how can you have "perfect sound forever" if what you're puttig on the disk is a compromised 3rd or 4th generation copy? OTOH, I'm glad at least that you can get so many releases which are improved in quality- at the source- since "GIGO" is still an operative principle, it's good to have whatever improvement you can get (or the market will bear).

~Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"