X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Just A Waitin' On Some Extra Cash

It's lunchtime at the office, and I'm just grousin' here.

One of these days, when I get enough excess cash put together, I'm going to get a new turntable and start burning my vinyl to CD's. Then I can finally listen to a bunch of my music that isn't out on CD - at least that I've been able to find. I've managed to keep my album collection in relatively pristine shape (mainly by not playing them much) and having heard some VERY good turntables and how much better they sound than my old Technics, I'm really reluctant to proceed until I can upgrade. But (you knew there was going to be a but, didn't you?) upgrading is going to cost somewhere between $750 and $1000 US to get me up to a Rega Planar 3 and a decent cartridge.

Damn, I miss my vinyl!

My apologies for the pity-party - quick, someone call the "waaa"mbulance!

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I've been planning to do the same for some time ( burning my albums to disc). I have yet to decide on buying a minidisc or a cd burner.

I wish I could upgrade my TT and cartridge to that level but, my Sony TT will have to suffice.

There is so much that I have on vinyl that, cannot be replaced without major work, it seems almost stupid not to get this done asap.

Let us know how it turns out.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yeah John, I keep arguing with myself (we're all very happy inside my head ) about going ahead with my existing TT. I was able to buy this several months ago and it's just waiting on me to begin:

It's a Yamaha CDR-S1000. I've played around with duping a few CD's but haven't done any vinyl yet. What do you think, am I being silly, or maybe anal retentive, or . . . about waiting on a TT upgrade to start?

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

David, that looks like a nice piece!

"What do you think, am I being silly, or maybe anal retentive, or . . . about waiting on a TT upgrade to start?"

Not at all! I actually think that is wise. You'll have more quality up front which can't hurt in the recording process. Makes sense to me. I applaud your resolve of doing it right.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• dave
          • Aug 2003

next week i,m hoping to go out & start looking at tables. I,ve got alot of old LPs that have been in boxes for a long time & I know the feeling that your talking about . There nothing like the sound of an LP on a really good table . I,m looking at musical fidelity or rega but wish I could get linn sondeck :?

dave
          Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Dave, I went auditioning a few months ago and had a shootout between a Rega P-25 and a Nottinham Analog Horizon w/RB-250 arm. I like the "Rega sound" to begin with, so I figured it would be a walk for the P-25. Wrong. I'm the proud owner of a Horizon now, complete with Grado Reference Sonata cart. WOW! What a beautiful sound. Revealing, clean, "musical".

If you have an opportunity, go listen to a Nottingham, you won't be disappointed.
            1. Nottingham Analog

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• dave
              • Aug 2003

Now thats a really great looking table!!!!!!!!! bet it sounds as good as it looks!!!!!!!! Did you happen to audition a VPI Scout ? & if so how does it compare to your table ? :?:

dave
              Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

No, unfortunately there wasn't a VPI around to compare with. We need more high-end B&M stores in Houston. . . . :?

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"