X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Apple core, Baltimore...

Finally got around to doing this- was almost surprised there were any still available, as the limited world wide production was only 30K, and I figured these would have been snapped up by computer music aficionados long ago...

It comes with 44.1/24 FLAC files and 320kps MP3- I doubt I'll be listening to the latter, since you can get Flac players even on iOS.

I'm planning to load these up this weekend, after working on the car, Ardents, and scooter. (in roughly that order!)

I think there is a built in player for both Windows and Mac. That's a pretty nice touch- just plug in to a Mac or PC, and play... in my own case, I prefer to install on my M50, needless to day. I'll see if there's any issues doing that, and report back.

Having dinner with my daughter recently for her 30th birthday, I found out she and her fiancé are both big Beatles fans- not something I particularly expected in her generation, but quality music is quality music. This might be something for them to enjoy, too.

Here is a typical online review of this product- it sounds like they took a lot of care with it, and those who compare it to the most recent CD remasters prefer the 24 bit flac.

This really is the ultimate "The Beatles" collector's item. The photos hardly do this item justice. I was expecting a lightweight, hollow aluminum apple, and that's hardly the case. You could hurt someone with this thing. It's solid and heavy. The USB is magnetically "tugged" gently into its housing. The box is absolutely beautiful. It's a treasure!

It's tempting while admiring the object to keep handling it, just don't drop it! The stem is sturdy enough - it really "makes" the apple, too - but letting this thing drop to roll around is perilous at best.

You can browse album artwork and photos while listening to the tracks on the built-in player. The interface is very clean, straightforward and true to the original works.

The sound quality is absolutely phenomenal! The subtle, ticklish guitar at the beginning of "Honey Pie" is new to my ears. The vocals are truly remarkable throughout the "albums," every word comes through with perfect clarity.

The 24-bit FLACs are far above and beyond anything I've ever heard from any of the previous Beatles' releases. The MP3s sound remarkable, too. Note that burning MP3s from the 16-bit CDs will result in compressed 16-bit material. The most sonically astonishing MP3s can only be found on The Beatles Stereo USB - these files are compressed from the source material.

The quality of the audio and of the physical product is incredible. I highly recommend acquiring The Beatles Stereo USB while you still can. There is absolutely nothing I regret about my purchase of this product.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • jim1961
    • Nov 2012

The Beatles....

I think they are masters of songwriting, decent performers, but have below par recording quality. I have been in pursuit of high quality covers of there songs. Some are pretty amazing. A few show pieces are:

Eleanor Rigby - Tessa Souter
    For No One - Emmylou Harris
    Norwegian Wood - Patricia Barber
    She's Leaving Home - Annie Haslam
    I'm Only Sleeping - Holy Cole

and so on....

Yea, I understand if covers are not ones thing. Especially those that fundamentally change the style and form of the original in a profound way, which some of the above mentioned do considerably. Never the less, I am gaining great pleasure from hearing The Beatles with top quality sound, and I am afraid no remaster from the original tapes will touch some of these newer versions.

Didn't mean to derail your post Jon. Its just ive been on a Beatles cover tear recently
    Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

The big remaster set was pretty good honestly, hugely better than the originals.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I am trying to figure out what it is that you bought Jon. I tried googling Apple core, Baltimore Apple core, I saw nothing really... I guess you got to be a big fan maybe? lol. I'm lost on this one.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jim1961
          The Beatles....

I think they are masters of songwriting, decent performers, but have below par recording quality.
          lol, really?!

Doug, you get still get one: http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-USB/dp/B002VH7P4O
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Jon, I'm also the proud owner of a USB Apple. Totally fantastic, and worth every penny. Enjoy
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• jim1961
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by mjb
              lol, really?!

Doug, you get still get one: http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-USB/dp/B002VH7P4O
              Doug?

What part of my statement do you find funny?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                I am trying to figure out what it is that you bought Jon. I tried googling Apple core, Baltimore Apple core, I saw nothing really... I guess you got to be a big fan maybe? lol. I'm lost on this one.
                That's why I included the picture- it's the complete Beatles Album collection on a USB stick *the Apple core you pull out of the solid aluminum apple) in 24 bit flac. It's a treat, if you're a Beatles fan- best sound I've heard, even better than the 2009 CD's (well, it should be- 24 bit flac and all...)

in fact, I'm listening to it now on my NAD M50 music server, having copied it over to the NAD M50 from my Mac, which can connect to the NAD as a server on the local network. Biggest complement I can probably pay to the quality is that it sounds like I'm listening to the original tape machines.

AND, you can just plug the stick into a Mac or PC and play the music, using the included player- no installation required. I should be able to do an exact copy to a conventional high speed USB stick so I don't carry the "master" around...
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Listening to the White Album while setting up for Ardent measurements- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" turned up... sublime... I'm quite happy! So Happy! Oops, wrong song!

the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Jim, I believe there is a failure to communicate here, or something, I wasn't loling about anything you said. I was LOLing in general, that I didn't know what Jon was talking about in this thread. I really made no reference to anything you said, but maybe Michael quoted me in such a way it looked like I said something about what you said, I don't know. But I didn't think anything anybody said was funny, I was LOLing because I didn't know what the thread was about.
                    Doug

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Now, I get it Jon, I wasn't aware of this being available. I loved the Beatles. Rarely listen to them anymore, but always a classic. So many great songs.
                      Doug

Comment

• jim1961
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Lex
                        Jim, I believe there is a failure to communicate here, or something, I wasn't loling about anything you said. I was LOLing in general, that I didn't know what Jon was talking about in this thread. I really made no reference to anything you said, but maybe Michael quoted me in such a way it looked like I said something about what you said, I don't know. But I didn't think anything anybody said was funny, I was LOLing because I didn't know what the thread was about.
                        If you look, I was quoting mjb, not you.

As far as what the thread is about, its about Jon finding another diamond in the rough I think.

Comment

• mjb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

I messed up the post quote, sorry chaps - exit stage left....
                          - Mike

Main System:
                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

No harm, no foul. It's all good....
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

yeah, no foul here, sorry Jim. Cool product, a little pricey, but I guess I get why.
                              Doug

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"