Is 24 bit multi-channel FLAC over HDMI possible? (5.1/7.1)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

Is 24 bit multi-channel FLAC over HDMI possible? (5.1/7.1)

Hello all,

Recently I have been archiving all of my recorded music to FLAC. Just this past week I discovered "DVD-Audio Explorer 2008" which has allowed me to extract all of my DVD-Audio recordings as multi-channel MLP files. I then used "eac3to" to convert the MLP files to multi-channel WAV. I then dropped the multi-channel WAV files into FLAC to have them converted to multi-channel 5.1 FLAC files.

The process worked flawlessly and I now have my DVD-Audio recordings successfully backed up on my computer retaining all quality. Quality ranges from 24 bit 48kHz, to 24 bit 96kHz.

This leads me to my question: If I hook my computer up via HDMI to a receiver capable of playing LPCM (multi-channel PCM) audio over HDMI will my files play as expected? If so, would they play with Winamp? Or would I need to use another media player?

I don't have an HDMI capable receiver yet, but am eyeing up the Rotel RSX-1560 or RSP-1570 (I am currently running the RSP-1068 ).

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Bryan
    Last edited by Chris D; 25 February 2009, 15:02 Wednesday.
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows
  • Victor
    • Apr 2002

Bryan,
    Very interesting. I think it should work just fine. I have not done this myself, but I did do somehting similar in a way. I managed to separate the audio from the video in the HDMI stream.

The audio that I have now is 7.1 SPDI/F stream decoded into 4 SPDI/F stereo feeds. Although in my case I do not use a PC, still methinks it is similar. In any event the resulting multi-channel LPCM plays fine through 4 SPDI/F connections for 7.1 audio.

Victor

Comment

• bnieman
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Victor
      Bryan,
      Very interesting. I think it should work just fine. I have not done this myself, but I did do somehting similar in a way. I managed to separate the audio from the video in the HDMI stream.

The audio that I have now is 7.1 SPDI/F stream decoded into 4 SPDI/F stereo feeds. Although in my case I do not use a PC, still methinks it is similar. In any event the resulting multi-channel LPCM plays fine through 4 SPDI/F connections for 7.1 audio.

Victor
      How in the world did you combine the 4 SPDI/F back into 7.1 output within the receiver?

Comment

• Victor
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by bnieman
        How in the world did you combine the 4 SPDI/F back into 7.1 output within the receiver?
        I never said I used a receiver. In general I do not like to use a receiver at all; - I prefer stand alone power amp(s).

I am re-doing my HT at the moment, so I am changing the signal processing chain in a radical way. I am doing away with a processor, - hence my Meridian 568 is for sale.

Let me explain.

These days we have a number of sources that decode all the latest and greatest codecs internally. So we can have an analog 7.1 output or an HDMI 1.3 output that combines both audio and video information. I do not want the analog, because I use DSP-based cross-overs in my HT, so I need a digital signal, - the SPDI/F. In fact I need 4 stereo SPDI/F outputs to feed my digital cross-overs.

So, in this spirit, I take the HDMI from my PS3 and feed it to an external HDMI switch-box. There is a way to modify this box to separate digital audio data from digital video data. The video is then put back to a HDMI output jack and it is available to the projector, but the audio is routed to a 4 SPDI/F stereo channels on four 75-Ohm jacks. Those 4 SPDI/F channels are respectively Front R/L, Rear R/L, Side R/L and Centre/Sub.

Those 4 SPDI/F channels are then fed into my digital cross-overs. I am currently working on finishing the mod to the HDMI switch, but it is already working in an ugly-bugly-wire-spaghetti-everywhere form. Next is a multi-channel Volume control and with power amps being cheap and good these days the processor-less HT becomes possible on a very reasonable budget with fidelity being as good as the state of art is today.

Victor

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Well, it's really interesting--I had no idea you could create ripped audio files of DVD-Audio. What about DSD Super Audio CD?

I have a couple VERY good albums that I would really, really like to have saved in audio files I could play on my PC and/or iPod, but they're DVD-Audio or SACD.

So tell me more about these programs!
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by bnieman
            This leads me to my question: If I hook my computer up via HDMI to a receiver capable of playing LPCM (multi-channel PCM) audio over HDMI will my files play as expected? If so, would they play with Winamp? Or would I need to use another media player?
            What about a DVD-Audio player with a USB input...such as the Oppo DV-980H? Wonder if it would work. If so, I'd be interested in archiving my DVD-Audio discs as well.
            Brad

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Hmmm hadn't thought this was possible... I'd even be ok with high-res 2ch Flac versions for my media server. Gonna have to look more in to this :T
              Jason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

OK I used DVD-Audio explorer to convert to MC wav files (the latest version does this without using eac3to) but I'm stuck at the Flac step. When I import the wav files in to Flac and try to convert to MC Flac I get an error telling me there's an error, number of channels 6, must be 1 or 2 and then tells me the wav file is not found... what am I missing here?

Edit:

Just tried it with the stereo 24/96 tracks off Rumours too and get the same file not found error (but not the channel error obviously). The wav files do sound pretty fantastic and play just fine in Winamp but if I can get some additional file size compression and get them in flac like the rest of my near 7000 ripped files I'd be much happier.
                Jason

Comment

• bnieman
                  • Jun 2006

Jason,

I originally did my conversions in Windows XP SP3. I have tried to duplicate them now in Windows Vista x64 SP1 and am getting the message within eac3to that the conversion in not supported.

I will boot back into Windows XP later this week and see if I can get it to work again but my process was as follows:

5.1 Channel FLAC files from DVD-Audio
                  1. Use "DVD-Audio Explorer 2008" to extract .mlp files
                  2. Use "eac3to" to convert the .mlp files to .wav files (6-channel wav files resulted)
                  3. drag the created .wav file onto "flac.exe"

This resulted in a 6-channel .flac files. I even have the files to prove it! ha

To do stereo rips I could do it all within ""DVD-Audio Explorer 2008" by adding a scripting parameter after selecting WAV output to create the .flac files automatically.

I will post later on the specific process. (need to concentrate on work right now

Cheers!
                  Bryan

Comment

• bnieman
                    • Jun 2006

P.S. Make sure to enable 24-bit playback in Winamp.

General Preferences>Playback>Allow 24-bit

Comment

• bnieman
                      • Jun 2006

I figured out what I did! It does work in Vista, I was just using the wrong command in eac3to.

First rip the DVD-Audio to .mlp files with "DVD-Audio Explorer 2008"

Then run eac3to in command line (the only way I know how to do this is to open a command line, then navigate to the directory eac3to.exe is in by using cd commands)

Once you are in the directory type: eac3to myfile.mlp myfile.wav

(I was putting a "to" in between which was resulting in the error message. Just put one space.)

You can actually go directly to FLAC if you want too, but the process takes longer and results in a slightly larger FLAC file then converting to WAV first. To convert directly to FLAC type: eac3to myfile.mlp myfile.flac

If you want to use my method, which is to go from .mlp > .wav > .flac, then simply take the .wav file that was created and drag it onto flac.exe. Flac.exe will then spit out the 6-channel high resolution FLAC file - You can create all your .wav files first and then drag all of them onto flac.exe at once.

If anyone knows any shortcuts or a way to have the process done automatically, please let me know. It is tedious since you have to do it track by track (although I think you will all agree it is worth it).

I am happy to answer any questions.

Cheers!
                      Bryan

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Thanks Bryan, Figured out my problem was trying to open the wav files in Flac and then convert them. When I did the drag and drop they converted just fine. But you're doing an extra step with eac3to. I was able to convert to wav right from DVD-A Explorer and then drop the wav files right in on to flac.exe and done
                        Jason

Comment

• bnieman
                          • Jun 2006

You were able to generate 5.1 WAV files straight out of DVD-A explorer?

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

yup.
                            Jason

Comment

• bnieman
                              • Jun 2006

Nice!

I figured out what I was missing. I hadn't checked the "Merge Groups" check box when ripping to WAV so I had been getting seperate WAV files for FL, FR, RL, RR and another for C, LFE. Checking merge groups put them all into a single WAV file.

I have taken it even further! You can have FLAC run automatically and then delete the original WAV file upon completion. So the ENTIRE process is now automated.

I created a new thread here for everyone: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...442#post446442

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"