X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Chris Botti concert, new album, and jazz classics

I went to Chris's concert tonight in Anchorage, Alaska, and it was absolutely amazing. I'd have to say it was one of the top 3 concerts I've ever been to. It was certainly fun, but the concert was especially tops for all-out, max quality music that was exceptionally tight. Chris's sound has a level of control and warmth that gives me goosebumps, but he partners with other musicians that are at the absolutely top of their game, multi-award winners and excellent at their own instrument.

Tonight, Chris had two guest performers with him, a violist whose name I can't remember but was phenomenal, and Lisa Fisher, a vocalist who is so good, that Mick Jagger called her up and added her to the Rolling Stones for the last couple decades. Lisa was amazing, with a huge but very controlled voice, scatting and singing a range of music.

At least three songs brought me to full tears, including "Hallelujah", by Leonard Cohen that Chris featured on his "Live in Boston" video (which Blu-Ray EVERYONE should have in their library), and Chris did a semi-encore with "Nessun Dorma". I was completely overwhelmed in the song, and the sheer beauty of the group's performance of it. He even brought up two boys from the audience to beat on the cymbals for the conclusion of the song, which fit perfectly.

Unfortunately, the few pics I snapped on my iPhone during the concert didn't turn out at all. But Chris has always struck me as a decent guy, and had an autograph session after the concert. I had a custom print made of a painting that David G. Paul did of Chris, and had Chris sign it. Looking forward to having this thing framed. You can barely see the signature at the bottom middle in this photo. I had him sign it with a red paint-pen, so it blends a bit in with the painting. I don't want people to see it, and their eyes immediately go to a flashy white or silver signature at the bottom. I'd rather them say, "wow, that's a cool piece of art!" and then notice that it's a specially signed edition on closer inspection.

Chris didn't really show it, but I think he's seen the David G. Paul painting before. But I also told him that his "Live in Boston" Blu-Ray (you DID buy that for your collection, right? You'll thank me later) is considered to be reference quality by those of us in the A/V, home theater world, and we use it for super jam sessions and demonstrations. He actually reacted in a way, saying "wow, thank you!" that led me to believe that he wasn't aware of that. I would have thought that after all these years and concerts, somebody would have told him, but I guess you never know. He seems like a humble guy in any case.

Apparently, Chris just released a new album this week. I haven't heard most of it yet, but on paper it does look great, pairing with Mark Knopfler, Herbie Hancock, David Foster, Randy Newman, Gershwin, Chopin, and more. He did perform a song in the concert that he does with Andrea Bocelli, that I'm really looking forward to hearing on the album.

There was a lecture before the concert on jazz, that was really interesting. The speaker threw out a few albums he recommended to buy. While I have Miles Davis's "Birth of the Cool", I actually don't have two of his that are standards, "Kind of Blue", and "Sketches of Spain", so I'll be picking those up. The lecturer also recommended one titled "Sidewinder", but I didn't catch who it was by. He mentioned it in the sense of it being one of the all-time great albums, though. Maybe somebody else here knows which one I'm talking about. Is it this, by Lee Morgan? If so, I see it's available on hybrid SACD, so I'll pick that up, too.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

Beautiful stuff, thanks for sharing.

Yes, The Sidewinder is by Lee Morgan. It's his most popular album. If you are picking up Lee Morgan SACD titles, you should pick up 'Lee-Way'. It's also a fine Lee Morgan title.

Lee Morgan also appears on Hank Mobley's 'No Room For Squares' album which is also out on SACD. Have a listen to the title track. http://youtu.be/x_rGdU8cR_s
    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

that's a nice painting, if I understood that right. I've never been a huge trumpet fan, but I'd be interested to hear his stuff.
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I love Botti's soft staccato style. He reminds me sometimes of Bobby Hacket who often recorded with Jackie Gleason's orchestra. I'll be getting Botti's newest album for sure.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Great stuff, Chris!

Botti is an accomplished musician, IMHO. And with all the attention he has received, maintains truth to his art while resisting the adulteration commercial success often brings. You had V special night I’m sure you will remember for a long time.

BTW, my best friend, Rod, who had been a professional trumpet player, enjoyed Botti’s work. Rod’s favorite was Miles. KOB is still the benchmark for trumpet, & SOS is maybe my favorite Miles Davis album.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Thanks for the input. Doug, yeah, this artist named David G. Paul made that painting. I actually lookd into buying the original, but David wanted to keep it, so I had this reprint made.

I've been a Chris Botti fan for a while now, but got really big with the "Live in Boston" BD. Being a trumpet player myself, I have a huge appreciation for the warmth and control in Chris's tone. He does just go for the huge range and wail on the high notes sometimes, (which he usually nails) but it's his warm tone that really gets me going, especially on dramatic songs like "Ave Maria" and "Hallelujah".
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
              But I also told him that his "Live in Boston" Blu-Ray (you DID buy that for your collection, right? You'll thank me later) is considered to be reference quality by those of us in the A/V, home theater world, and we use it for super jam sessions and demonstrations.
              Just bought it Chris, based on so many recommendations. Now waiting for an opportunity to play it, probably with my wife. I'm hoping like hell that it's not smooth jazz like other smooth jazz I've heard.

Sounds like it was a fantastic concert. I'm now really looking forward to the Blu-ray.
              There was a lecture before the concert on jazz, that was really interesting. The speaker threw out a few albums he recommended to buy. I actually don't have two of his that are standards, "Kind of Blue", and "Sketches of Spain"
              Those are the only two Miles Davis albums I own, and both are great Sunday morning plays.

Nigel.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Just my opinion, everyone should give Kind of Blue a try. This was truly a revolutionary album, and the audio quality from 1956 is amazing, truly. With John Coltrane on sax, you get two amazing artists on one CD. I am sure anyone else on it was world class as well.
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Thanks for the input. Doug, yeah, this artist named David G. Paul made that painting. I actually lookd into buying the original, but David wanted to keep it, so I had this reprint made.

I've been a Chris Botti fan for a while now, but got really big with the "Live in Boston" BD. Being a trumpet player myself, I have a huge appreciation for the warmth and control in Chris's tone. He does just go for the huge range and wail on the high notes sometimes, (which he usually nails) but it's his warm tone that really gets me going, especially on dramatic songs like "Ave Maria" and "Hallelujah".
                  As you all know and are saddened by I'm sure, My BD of Chris Botti in Boston got a little crack in it and has stopped working. Sad, because it was my reference BD for both sound and picture quality. :T . As you probably know, Chris got his start playing for Sting. Check out his work in Sting's Live in Italy concert. This concert happened on the day of 9/11 so it was kinda' weird in a way..... but for whatever reason, through they're collective sadness, they managed to pull off quite a concert and Botti's trumpet work was fabulous. Check it out.....it's a good one!!
                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Putting a couple albums on my "to get list", thanks Chris, looks like it was a great night :T
                    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Nigel, I'm sure you'll enjoy the "Live in Boston" BD. It's definitely more than just smooth traditional jazz. That's one of the great things about Botti concerts--he partners with guest performers, and plays classical, traditional jazz, be-bop, fusion, rock, (in the Alaska concert, they even morphed into Ozzy Osbourne's "Iron Man" and others) easy listening, opera, etc.

mac, if that were my BD, that's one that I personally would absolutely have to buy again. Thanks for the Sting Live in Italy recommendation. I didn't know that was done on 9/11! EDIT: I couldn't find that title, but I assume you're talking about this one?

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• ShadowZA
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Wow! Fantastic, Chris! Must have been an awesome concert. I'm jealous of your signed custom print. Wow!

Chris Botti's "Live in Boston" Blu-ray is one of my reference discs and has already brought a few visitors to tears.

I need to check out his new CD. :T

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Yes Chris,,,,that's the concert I'm talking about. Very good and excellent sound quality!!.

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Awesome stuff, Chris! Love the reprint as well. :T

I do not own that Botti Blu-ray yet. It's on my list to purchase. I also need to get Kind of Blue, I do own Sketches of Spain. SOS is also a quailty production.
                            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Chris, I forgot to add this above.

I saw Lisa Fischer in the early 90's. She was singing back-up for Luther Vandross at that concert (great show). She performed a song titled "How Can I Ease The Pain" which would later be released on her solo album "So Intense".

Man, did she steal the show! I (like you) were wowed by her range and control. I bought "So Intense" just for that song alone. Glad to hear she is still able to move an audience with her beautiful gift.
                              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

So I ended up purchasing all 4 CD's - Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, The Sidewinder, and Impressions.

I REALLY like Kind of Blue, and I can see why there's so many positive opinions of it as one of the great jazz albums. It's straight, laid back, very calm jazz. Nowhere near the abstract level lots of jazz gets to. (not that that's necessarily bad) I also really liked The Sidewinder. There's parts that really remind me of "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck.

However, I was surprised to find that I really was not a fan of Sketches of Spain. Quite different music. Part jazz, part soundtrack to a Sean Connery-era Bond film set in Spain, part classic concerto, part "Lawrence of Arabia". Just didn't gel for me.

I also REALLY liked Impressions. Chris Botti continues to make great music, melding the trumpet with vocalists and other instrumental musicians. Great covers of some songs on it, and very enjoyable. This disc will also get a repeat listen from me.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

mac, I rented Sting's "All This Time" on DVD from Netflix. Really enjoyed it. You're right--that's a good one. Too bad it's not on BD. I was really moved the way they emphasized "Fragile" for the 9/11 event. Thought he destroyed "Every Breath You Take" by doing it far too fast, but many other songs really sounded good with style adaptations.

Chris Botti looked pretty different back then--very young.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

mac, I rented Sting's "All This Time" on DVD from Netflix. Really enjoyed it. You're right--that's a good one. Too bad it's not on BD. I was really moved the way they emphasized "Fragile" for the 9/11 event. Thought he destroyed "Every Breath You Take" by doing it far too fast, but many other songs really sounded good with style adaptations.

Chris Botti looked pretty different back then--very young.
                                    I agree about the "every breath' comment. They destroy "seven days" though!!.Really good !! :T

Comment

• John Holmes
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Chris,

Sorry SOS wasn't to your liking. At least you enjoyed what others recommended!

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

No worries! We all have our own tastes. I've hit on more gems with blind purchases basd on recommendations from here than misses, so I'm good!
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"