X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Bonnie Raitt

According to an article I saw in the Washington Post, Bonnie Raitt is releasing her first album in seven years.
    Slipstream” is due out April 10.

Sadly, AFAIK, no vinyl is being offered.
    With the many affiliations she has with musical powerhouses such a Ry Cooter & Lyle Lovet, I am curious as to whether this release will be a full-hearted effort. If it is, it should be good.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 04 January 2012, 21:28 Wednesday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

I'll certainly seek that one out Bill.

Bonnie's collaboration with Lyle Lovett on the CMT Crossroads TV show (I have it on DVD) is one of my treasured recordings.

Nigel.
    Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

wooo WHOOO!

Slipstream is being offered on Vinyl

Quote from the web site offering the LP:

'Slipstream', full of heated guitar solos and Raitt's trademark slide guitar, is a bold, soulful effort that marks Bonnie Raitt's first studio release in seven years!

Called a "Best Bet for 2012" by Billboard Magazine!

Raitt's reinvented version of Gerry Rafferty's hit "Right Down The Line," is the first single from 'Slipstream' and has "just the right note of rueful worldly wisdom - and on her guitar solo, she shreds" (Rolling Stone). The single raced up the AAA radio chart, breaking into the Top 20 in less than 2 weeks and became the most added track at the format well in advance of its official radio launch date.

Said Raitt of her band, "They're all incredibly talented and we fit like a glove..."
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

I got my hands on am MP3 rip of ‘Slipstream’ a few weeks ago.

On my first take I felt a bit let down. There was nothing new, nothing really stood out.

After a few more listens, it dawned on me. This is the same old Bonnie I remember. Killer beat and rhythm section, frugal studio adulteration and solid blues licks from the Redheaded siren. The overall sense is of an analog experience with smooth tonality and vocals that are mixed and presented in perfect harmony with the music.

If you liked Bonnie for being Bonnie, you should appreciate this latest effort. Sometimes no surprise is the best surprise.
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I like the Bonnie Raitt sound!!.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I'm pretty impressed with "Slipstream" - very pleasant, good energy and nothing grates. Her voice is a little deeper than it used to be but that's fine. The songs are familiar Bonnie material with enough variety to make you interested in listening to more (Joe Henry's influence perhaps?), but I wasn't expecting her to reinvent herself so there was no disappointment. She has a top band and the mixing & mastering sounds professional. Overall I give it a 'better than expected' rating. The CD was certainly good enough for me to go out and buy her "Live At Montreux 1977" DVD, which is also well worth the money.

I rate Bonnie highly as a young performer and a not-so-young performer.

Nigel.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"