X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Tom Petty - "Damn The Torpedoes" [Blu-ray Audio w/ Bonus Download]

Surprised I haven't seen this one mentioned yet, but I read about this recently on another forum and though I'd share. It just started shipping recently, as a music-only blu-ray disc. In addition to the 9 original songs, there are 9 additional songs (b-sides, live, and demo), as well as 2 bonus videos (old music videos that I remember from MTV).

The kicker is that the first 15,000 copies of the blu-ray include a free bonus download, in your choice of format (24/96 FLAC, 320k MP3, or Apple Lossless). The download is two-channel, whereas the blu-ray disc includes two surround mixes (PCM and DTS-HD Master) in addition to 2-channel PCM.

Damn The Torpedoes [Blu-ray Audio w/ Bonus Download]

I opted for the FLAC download, which I stored on my NAS. Just started listening today, and the sound is excellent. I also just listened to a sampling of the sourround mix from the blu-ray, and it also sounds great. The disc's engineer chimed in on the the other forum and mentioned that the aim was to keep most of the sound up front in the surround mix, with mostly ambiance in the rears. So far, I like what I'm hearing!

Quick notes: The FLAC download is also available from HDTracks, if you're only interested in 2-channel. Also, when I ordered the other day from amazon the price was $21.99, while today it's showing as $25.90...not sure what's up with that.
    Brad
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Just the sort of thing I'd like to buy, except Tom Petty's music doesn't do much for me. I like his stance on being an artist and his support for fans, and am glad he pushes for stuff like this that music fans like to buy though.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Exactly my thoughts, B. The only Tom Petty album I have and listen to is his greatest hits CD. But if more artists also take this stance, then eventually an artist that does meet each person's individual taste will be putting out quality recordings.

I have some high quality recordings, and I have recordings of music I really love. But recordings I have that meet both of those standards are extremely rare.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

That's actually a very good deal on Damn The Torpedoes. HDTracks has it in download (only) 24/96 FLAC for $29.98.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Thanks for the heads-up, Brad. Have just placed my order. :T

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"