• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Marantz - Ken Ishiwata's 30th Anniversary Sacd

Anyone plan to pick this up?

I don't own any SACD's however, this hybrid sounds very interesting. It would also give me a chance to see if the SACD function of my PS3 actually work.

There are samples at the Marantz site:

"I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Based on the samples , I'd like to hear that on my lowly SA8260. I'd rather hear it on a KI Pearl , but that's out of my budget for now.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Alaric,

I don't know that I would use "lowly" or any other such term, to describe your Marantz. It'a a very nice piece!

But like you, as much as I would enjoy having the KI-Pearl set, it will never happen. Well... not any year soon.

I would love to hear you thoughts on the SACD (if you purchase it that is). I'm still on the fence. That is a large chunk of change for a test disc for me. Not to mention, now that I think about it, my PS3 will only do SACD via HDMI. And my processor is pre-HDMI. So, as much as I'd like to check this disc out, I may pass on it.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Lol. Yeah. I only meant lowly relative to the KI-Pearl. I love my CD player. It plays redbook CDs very well , too. For what it would sell for I would have to add another $1000 or so just to equal the redbook playback-something a lot of SACD players don't do so well. An equivalent SACD player at a reasonable price would likely be another Marantz-and I'd lose the 5.1 capability and gain little if anything in SQ. I'm eyeballing that SACD , though. The samples sounded good , but on my PC who knows? That's a lot of cash for a disc. I can get a lot of vinyl for that......
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I too would be interested in how this SACD is. Let us know!
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

They have the KI-Pearl set on demo in Harrods in London..... It's on the main A/V floor and hooked up to a pair of Mourdont-Short Peformance 6 speakers.... As it was in the open space it's really hard to get a good listen to.... In open space it sounds great but, you know.... it's hard to really listen...

But, if you manage to visit, you won't hang around as the have the amazing Focal JMLabs Grand Utoptia EMs on demo - unreal!
            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"