X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Keiko Matsui- MOYO

I recently purchased this CD. I've often heard her work on the radio however, never owned any of her work.

For the last few weeks, this disc has been spinning almost non stop! There is just somthing amazing in how she writes her music. Such a diverse mix of sounds. Done in a manner that never allows one settle into "I know what's coming next feel".

This is a level of Jazz that I have never experienced before. Suffice to say, I'll be adding more of her work to my collection.
    Attached Files
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Excellent!

Thank you, John!

I will have that one before the end of week.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Bill,

Let me know what you think of it! I definitely want to hear it. :T
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

A Keiko Matsui fan here. I have several of her albums. John, a favorite I recommend is Sapphire.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
          Excellent!

Thank you, John!

I will have that one before the end of week.
          You're welcome, sir!

I hope you will enjoy it, as much as I do.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I grabbed it but haven't had a listen yet as I've been quite busy.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Glen B
              A Keiko Matsui fan here. I have several of her albums. John, a favorite I recommend is Sapphire.

I'll be sure to check that one out, Glen. I really am looking forward to it.

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
                I grabbed it but haven't had a listen yet as I've been quite busy.
                Looking forward to reading what you think.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Well I just got my new Headphones as my main speakers aren't quite done yet. I bought some Bose on ear headphones. I know most don't like Bose but I find their headphones to be rather nice and quite comfy as well.

As for the CD so far I'm on track 2 and this is a very very nice sounding album. I don't usually go into to much detail but the SQ is awesome. The piano sounds very defined from what I hear normally. Obviously not the same as hearing one in person as it's rather hard to capture that in a recording but much more lively then other albums I remember. Either way it's a very very nice CD and probably be amongst my new favorites.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I'm glad it's working for you, Dougie! I hope the rest is as enjoyable.

I agree, the SQ is very good on this disc. Very dynamic!

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

thanks, fellas. Added to my Amazon wish list.

Anybody want to buy it for me, for birthday/Christmas?
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

My birthday is coming up as well what you getting me haha :B

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Bought it for myself with a recent Amazon order. VERY much enjoying it. Good, smooth music, but also a VERY good quality recording. I was enjoying it in my car during commutes, but am now doing critical listening in my theater with the disc. I'm going to add more of her works as well.

Thanks, fellas, you come through again!
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Cool, Chris! :T

There is just something...powerful happening when I listen to this disc. And it is a great plus that, it is a quality production to boot! Glad to read you like it as well.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Resurrecting this thread. Just got this one from Amazon, based on recommendations above and my enjoyment of "Moyo". Will post more after a listen.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Have now listened through "Sapphire" a few times, and I really like it! I think I like Moyo better, but this one is good too.

Similar sort of sound to Moyo, but not so repetitive that it becomes boring. Some of the songs almost reminded me of Enya, with background easy listening sounds and synthesizer, and others reminded me of the soundtrack to "Forrest Gump", with the solo light piano sounds.

Great addition, glad I bought it. BTW, nowhere on the disc or case does it say that this is a HDCD, but playing it in my computer here at work, Windows Media Player recognizes it as a HDCD. Looking forward to getting it home for critical listening, then. I've grown to appreciate albums that are laid down onto HDCD.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

I intend, to also purchase "Sapphire". It's been on my mind, every since Glen B mentioned it. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Glad to hear you like it Chris. Thanks for the review. I need to get off my butt and get it.

Comment

• Glen B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                                    Have now listened through "Sapphire" a few times, and I really like it! I think I like Moyo better, but this one is good too.

Similar sort of sound to Moyo, but not so repetitive that it becomes boring. Some of the songs almost reminded me of Enya, with background easy listening sounds and synthesizer, and others reminded me of the soundtrack to "Forrest Gump", with the solo light piano sounds.
                                    I am the opposite. I like Sapphire more than Moyo. :B I find Moyo to lean more toward your typical smooth jazz ala Spyrogyra, Alex Bugnon, Fourplay, etc, particularly with longtime Matsui collaborator Paul Taylor playing soprano sax on Moyo and imparting his own smooth jazz flavor to the album. IMO, Sapphire is more your traditional Keiko Matsui, but more adventurous with the melodies. Everytime I listen to the track "Tears From The Sun", I think James Bond movie song. Sapphire has a flavor that is a little reminiscent of late 1970s pop group Yellow Magic Orchestra, and to a lesser extent Kraftwerk, with their generous use of synthesizers and drum machines. This just shows how two people's interpretation of the same music can be so different. :B
                                    Last edited by Glen B; 31 March 2009, 16:22 Tuesday.

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Digging up this old thread. I saw that Keiko Matsui is coming out with a new album at the end of the month. I really like her music, so I'm going to be interested to see how this one turns out. Not sure I want to do a blind purchase this time.
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Thanks for the info Chris. I'm curious as well.

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Anybody heard her latest album? I'm hesitant to do a blind purchase. It's getting some good reviews on Amazon.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

maybe you can hear some samples here ?
                                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Glen B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jul 2004

Samples of Soul Quest are here: https://soundcloud.com/1888media/kei...call-to-action. Play/pause and forward/backward buttons are in the top bar.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"