X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Indi label High Quality CD's

Has anyone tried any of the CD’s from the ‘Mapleshade’ label?

I just ordered 4 discs and am anxiously awaiting their arrival scheduled for Tuesday.

From thier site:
    “.......our studio, an historic, secluded plantation house with warm, natural acoustics. In this creative and unpressured atmosphere, freed of time limits, our artists are inspired to play with more innovation and fire.

......We design and build, or custom-modify, all of our electronics from microphones to tape recorders to wires. All must meet standards well beyond commercial state-of-the-art. We record live to two-track analog, transfer to digital at a rate 100 times faster than the CD standard, and use no add-on EQ, reverb or noise reduction electronics. Our recordings are made with only 2 to 4 microphones and no cables longer than 20 feet."
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I'm really curious what kind of review you'll give your new disc. Please let us know your impressions these cd's.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

You can count on it, John!

Price isn't bad either, If you order 4 or more discs, it's $10 a piece.
      With shipping I paid $45.
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• eddiespaghetti
        • Sep 2006

I'd be interested as well. I have gotten a few of their catalogs, and some of the products and advice make me a bit leery of the company.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I get the mapleshade magazine all the time and have leafed (no pun intended) through them a bunch of times, but I've never ordered anything. It's tough to just buying something when you (at the time) couldn't hear it first. I say I've been getting the magazines they send out for close to 10 years now...never bought anything. I think I'm a bad person.

But if they are good CDs (which I'm sure I'll get to hear at some point), then I might start buying stuff from them, their prices are definitely not bad (not the best, but not bad).

-Dan
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Well, I thought PewterTA would have a chance to do some critical listening to these CD’s at the audio meet I was happy to host this past weekend. But with no set agenda and this being our first meet, it was as much a social event as an audio meet. And frankly, that was just fine. We all had a ball!

I have done some ‘hard’ listening to the CD’s I ordered:

I will say right now that what I got for around $40 was four of best quality, superbly engineered CD’s in my 400 plus library.

The Clifford Jordan is a live CD, and you truly do get the ‘feel’ of being in small Baltimore club, I have been to ETHELL’S, and know.

The duel piano CD by Willis and Pancella is fabulous in its accuracy, I can pinpoint the strings on both pianos to within inches, however the material is a bit repetitive from the first track to last. I would have liked a little more variation in styles and technique over the course of the entire album. Still the technical ability of the musicians is great. This will make a good CD for dinner parties while at the table.

The Walter Davis Jr. CD is a solo piano album of his personal interpretation of Monk’s more inspirational works, however, Davis spends no more than under 5 minutes on any tune. So while the key-work is of the quality on par with Marian McPartland, my favorite jazz pianist BTW, the album it self is a bit fast paced for my liking.

What I must do is recommend V highly the 'Music Festival' CD. A mix of straight-ahead jazz, blues, world and fusion that is absolutely one the favorite discs in my collection at this time.

Again, these are CD’s that will make your system sound its best. And I will be getting more.
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
              It's tough to just buying something when you (at the time) couldn't hear it first.
              -Dan
              I do believe you can listen clips of each track from the albums on the web site, but of course not at the same quality of the CD's
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

wkhanna,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about site and your impressions about the disc. It is really a hit and miss game with music. Not just from finding what you like, but quality recordings too. To have someone like yourself, take the time to share this info with our forum is appreciated!

I'm going to order a few disc from them. And give your recommendation of the "Music Festival" cd a shot.

regards,

John
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Thats great to hear wkhanna, I have wondered myself about those recordings, I didnt realize you could sample them online, looks like its time for some shopping. Thanks for the information and the reviews.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

You are both V welcome. It can be a very frustrating and expensive proposition searching for high quality recordings of music that you want to listen to. That is one best reasons for having a site like we have. To share information, both good and bad, with others who share our passion.

I feel confident in recommending this label, and hope you will agree with my assessment of not only the SQ, but the talent of the artists who are on it.
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Russ L
                      • Jul 2006

It is frustrating spending $20 on a CD and then finding the SQ to be so bad. Tired of taking new CDs to the used CD store to salvage $2-$3 or give them away as freebies to friends to listen to on their i-Pods or Computers. Just bought a CD from Deutche Grammophone by Lang Lang and the first 4 tracks recorded live in Beijing sound bad (his piano's OK but the recording of the Orchestra in the back very poor). Rest of album has good SQ but still disappointing 'cause you expect that label to be superb. -Russ
                      Russ

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

'Brown ' has just notified me that I have nice little package waiting for me when I get home tonight. My latest order from Mapleshade. Critic to follow after some 'serious' listening.

BROTHER AH'S WORLD MUSIC ENSEMBLE:
                        Celebration!

Brother Ah (Robert Northern), the most sought-after jazz French hornist of the '60s, gave up his horn in the early '70s to explore his vision of merging traditional music from all continents. Celebration! is the culmination of his group's 20-year spiritual journey: gorgeous all-acoustic arrangements of hand-carved African flutes, Afro-Caribbean percussion, woodwinds, guitar and koto. Their delicate beauty is captured with amazing transparency and detail. Soundstage so precise, it's speaker designer Von Schweikert's favorite imaging test disc. A pristine glimpse of the group that pioneered 'world' music before the name exist.

JOE STANLEY:
                        King Of The Honky-Tonk Sax

Joe's the godfather of the down-and-dirty R&B sax of the '50s and '60s. He led the great Bill Black Combo (Elvis' backup band), toured with Marvin Gaye, and mentored countless Maryland musicians including Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan. Stanley's CD is chock full of organ grooves, soul ballads, deep sax-driven blues. The icing is Joe's bourbon-fortified Sinatra-style vocals on old honky-tonk gems like "Jambalaya" and "Please Release Me". It doesn't hurt that he's got an all-star band: two wailing electric guitars, soul-steeped Hammond organ, and hard-driving bari sax. All that's locked down tight by John Previti's razor-sharp bassline and Big Joe Maher's ultra-punchy cymbals, snare and kickdrum.

A LA CARTE BRASS & PERCUSSION:
                        Boogeyin'! Swamprock, Salsa & `Trane

A La Carte serves up a New Orleans street band marinated with a hot salsa percussion section. The brass section stomps like the Dirty Dozen and moans like a Bourbon Street funeral. Led by Santana’s Gali Sanchez, the percussion anchors the celebration with impact and fire. A La Carte’s repertoire is a danceable mixture of jazz and pop—everything from a funk and salsa rendition of “Papa Was A Rolling Stone” to Lee Morgan’s “Sidewinder”. This recording’s “…so real you can tell what the trumpet players ate for lunch,” according to Stereophile.

WALTER BOOKER QUINTET:
                        Bookie's Cookbook

Give a listen to the blues-soaked groove on Bookie’s tune “Pete’s Rock”–you’ll understand why Monk, Cannonball, Sarah Vaughan and Sonny Rollins loved playing with Walter. The gorgeous sound of his 1792 Viennese bass gracefully propels the quintet with effortless, melodic danceability. The legendary Cecil Payne’s mellow, breathy bari sax and Marcus Belgrave’s ultra-blue trumpet are out front. Leroy William’s drum accents are subtle explosions. And Roni Ben Hur’s evocative acoustic guitar work would make Wes smile. You can hear Bookie’s note-bending soulfulness and the big, deep sound of his high-action pluck with utter clarity.
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

wkhanna,

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on these!

As you know, I just bought a new amp. Because I was saving for that, I wasn't purchasing any software. But, I hope to order a few disc from Mapleshade in a few weeks. I already received my catalog from them. And have been working on my list! :yesnod:

I hope you enjoy the new tunes!!!

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

They say in their catalog that you can return any CD if you simply don't like it, and exchange it for different one!?!?

Really takes the 'gamble' out of buying 'deaf', and might be a clue as to quality and pride they take in their product.
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna

The Walter Davis Jr. CD is a solo piano album of his personal interpretation of Monk’s more inspirational works, however, Davis spends no more than under 5 minutes on any tune. So while the key-work is of the quality on par with Marian McPartland, my favorite jazz pianist BTW, the album it self is a bit fast paced for my liking.
                              I have an long-term update to my first impression review of this CD.
                              I recently rented the Thelonious MonkStraight, No Chaser DVD from Netflix. While this Clint Eastwood produced DVD is not packed full of live performances, it does show Monk in terms of both his genius and the mental turmoil which it spawned. With footage of studio sessions and some of the day-to-day life while on world tour, this film gives a glimpse into the other world which he alone inhabited. As I have said before, you could almost say he was the Vincent van Gogh of Jazz. Much credit must go to his wife, who unconditionally devoted her life to keeping him able to compose and perform for as long as he did. A wonderful and bittersweet look at the price genius can extract from mere mortals as they transcend to true gods.

After watching this film, I immediately ran to this CD by Walter Davis, which had lain dormant for the last few weeks, and queued it up my CDp. Suddenly, it all made sense. Suddenly this music that seemed so strange and obscure just weeks ago now sounded like the voice of a long lost friend, yet at the same time so fresh and new, it was like hearing it for the first time. All of Monk's personality, his nuances and trademark counter melodies incorporated in the same song that seemed so choppy and out of time now flowed as true and constant as great river.

As I get older, I realize that things I don't initially understand sometime require me to take the time to delve deeper into, some effort must be expended and presumptions set aside as a means to gain an understanding of things we may be unfamiliar with. In the end, by taking the time to look at the world from the perspective of another man's shoes, we only gain the opportunity to see and enjoy more beauty in the world, a beauty that was always there, but because we feared what we did not understand, we lacked the ability to see.

Thank you T. Monk, and thank you Walter Davis, Jr.
                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Great reviews wkhanna. Thank you.

Nigel.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

Looks like another listening session is in order!!!!

I'll have to bring the 602s with me to see how they do! :T I think the 604s would be really too much effort to move...but maybe not.

Can't wait to hear the new material!!! I have a few new CDs (not mapleshade) that are almost on par with their quality, but still not the same).

-Dan
                                  -Dan

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

So, why am I resurrecting a thread from 2007 you ask?

The short answer: I finally bought a Mapleshade CD. Okay, now that you have enjoyed your hearty laugh, I'll give you a little more info.

A few weeks ago I put an order in for Mapleshade's Music Festival sampler. I chose USPS shipping (the slowest and cheapest) and to my surprise, two days later the disc was in my hands. I was concerned noticing it was shipped in a bubble pack but, my worries were unnecessary. All was fine.

After 2 hours of playback, I was ecstatic and upset all at the same time. Happy because this is without a doubt, the best sounding disc in my collection. The production quality is heaven. The dynamics and depth of what you are able to hear in each recording is amazing. The fact that a blues cut on this sampler has become one of my favorites speaks volume (not a genre I listen too much). As irony would have it, I actually enjoy every track on the CD. I note this because, I have no previous experience with any of the artist. And if you haven't figured out by now my reason being upset, I can not believe I procrastinated so long on making this purchase.

This disc has received considerable playing time in my system over the last few weeks. I just haven't tired of it. Thanks wkhanna for placing me on the course!

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Okay... how do I get a Mapleshade catalog, or contact info?
                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                                        Okay... how do I get a Mapleshade catalog, or contact info?
                                        Easy......

Mapleshade
                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

It's a bit confusing (at least to me) but in the store click the music section lol.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            • Jan 2006

Sorry......ops:

Here is the direct link to the music
                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                              • Nov 2004

I might have to take the sampler for a little spin again myself now that you brought it up. I don't think I've really listened to it since I got my 802Dis.......... hmmmmm. Nice, yes, I think I will!
                                              -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

Okay, if any of you guys could pick one or more "must buy" discs from Mapleshade, what would they be? I'd be willing to do a blind purchase, if you guys recommend them high enough.
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                  • Jan 2006

Hey Chris,
                                                  I have at least 20 or so Mapleshade SeeDee's......
                                                  These are some of my favorites:

DRINK SMALL:
                                                  Electric Blues Doctor Live!

THE BLUE RIDER TRIO:
                                                  Early Morning Blues

MAPLESHADE'S MUSIC FESTIVAL:

A LA CARTE BRASS & PERCUSSION:
                                                  Boogeyin'! Swamprock, Salsa & `Trane

CLIFORD JORDAN QUARTET:
                                                  Live At Ethell's

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                    • Nov 2004

I like the Music Festival because it's a mix of everything. Little bit of everything they have. Then you can start expanding from there.
                                                    -Dan

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Chris,

I'll keep out of this one since my last suggestion really didn't fit your style.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                        • Jan 2006

Remember they have samples you can audition, so you can get sense of the style of music.
                                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

John, I can't remember which one that was!?

Bill, are the samples little links from the website you can click on to preview the songs?
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

Chris,

IIRC it was the Herb Alpert thread. But honestly, I was just razzing ya. I couldn't recommend any as I have only heard the Music Festival sampler. I do however plan to ad more and this time, it will not take five years to do so. :rofl:

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2006

I think I've heard most of the ones Bill suggested at his house, and they were all excellent for sure! I do enjoy a lot of blues and jazz though....lol

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D

Bill, are the samples little links from the website you can click on to preview the songs?
                                                                Yep.
                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                  • Jan 2006

BTW, Dan (aka PewterTA), another V good friend, James & I are going to Capital Audiofest in DC the end of July.

Mapleshade, based just South of the capital in Maryland, will be there so I am hoping to get to meet Pierre, the owner, during the event.
                                                                  Last edited by wkhanna; 17 June 2013, 17:06 Monday. Reason: added link
                                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                                                  😀
                                                                  😂
                                                                  🥰
                                                                  😘
                                                                  🤢
                                                                  😎
                                                                  😞
                                                                  😡
                                                                  👍
                                                                  👎
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"