X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

The Fall of CDs and the Rise of Live Performances

Here are some interesting extracts from an article called “Off the Record” by Robert Sandall from the August 2007 edition of Prospect Magazine:

In recent years, the economics of pop music have been upended. The market for CDs has collapsed, and not even the rise of legal downloading can offset the damage to record companies. Meanwhile, demand for live performances has rocketed.

"Record sales as we know them are in long-term decline," says music business analyst Keith Jopling. "Whereas the wider music market—live, merchandising, streaming video and music social networking—is in great health. After seven years of gradual change, we are about to see a major shift. Record companies are, at last, in a hurry to transform themselves into proper consumer marketing companies."

Back in the 1980s, a seat at a concert by a superstar cost about the same as one CD album. By contrast, last summer you could have bought Madonna's entire catalogue for less than half of what it cost to see her perform at Wembley Arena. The best seats in Madge's house went for £160. With the Rolling Stones at Twickenham last August, a decent view would have set you back £150, or £350 for a seat on the side of the stage. To put this in historical perspective, when the Stones played Wembley in 1990, they took some stick for charging £25, top whack. Now that demand for live music is on the up, nobody bothers to complain about what it costs any more. Euphoria at the news earlier this year that the Police had reformed obliterated all concerns that it would cost £90 to see them play at Twickenham in September.

Attendance at arena rock shows grew by 11 per cent in Britain last year, and looks set to rise again in 2007. The bigger the concerts, the more we seem to like them. Hence the explosion in the festival trade. In 2007, there are 450 such large-scale gatherings scheduled, ranging from the recent Glastonbury festival to the one-day Underage festival in Hackney on 10th August, which claims to be the first to be aimed exclusively at 14 to 18 year olds.

A rediscovery, or a renewed appreciation, of the communal source of music-making—and listening— must lie near the root of this upending of the music business. As personal stereos and MP3 players have grown in popularity, so has an appreciation that music isn't just something that goes on between your ears. The guitarist of the American hardcore band Anthrax expressed this rather neatly: "Our album is the menu," he explained. "The concert is the meal."

In his book e-Topia, William Mitchell relates the increasing value of shared experience to the isolating nature of electronic or online virtual worlds. "In conducting our daily transactions, we will find ourselves constantly considering the benefits of the different grades of presence that are now available to us, and weighing these against the costs," he writes. Being in the same place at the same time as a live performance, music fans appear to have decided, is the rarest and most precious presence of all.
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Interesting article

Those are still crazy prices. I think that is more about conspicuous consumption rather than the value of the experience. Its like the decision to buy a 4wd rather than a station wagon-status.

Live is good but the sound quality rarely is. It sounds far better when they have cleaned it up and wacked it on a DVD. I went to "Pig City" in Brisbane recently - the festival show based around a book on the Brisbane Music scene. The sound was pretty ordinary at the gig. That being said the big top just bounced with energy for Regurtitator, Pineapples from the Dawn of Time were just out there, that Custard guy was good and the Saints reunion was a success with Ed Kuepper playing like a man possessed (I was so glad I had ear protection for that set - talk about cranking it up to 11). They had cameras there so it is sure to come out as a Music DVD.

Cost was about $60 - thats about 20 UK pounds I think (maybe a bit more as the Aussie dollar is worth a little more these days)

Off topic and land of the long white cloud related - I heard a track by Liam Finn on the radio a couple of days ago - that guy definitely has Finn blood in him - I will have to keep an eye out for his CD.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• twitch54
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
      Interesting article

Live is good but the sound quality rarely is. It sounds far better when they have cleaned it up and wacked it on a DVD.

A live rock concert is more about, "the experience". Exceptional live music can and is heard all the time in the great Symphony Halls around the world.

Not exactly sure what your meaning of "wacked it on a DVD" means, but if you think that music DVD's are great sonic works, man-o-man you have missed the boat !!
      Dave

Comment

• wildfire99
        • Aug 2005

Meanwhile, demand for live performances has rocketed.
        No wonder then even live groups starting to get whacked by music enforcers*... do you have a license for that cover song? Did you pay your protection money to the NFL so your bar patrons can hear the Monday Night Football theme? *shiver*

*(RIAA/ASCAP/Anyone Who Wants Free Money)
        - Patrick
        "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by twitch54
          A live rock concert is more about, "the experience". Exceptional live music can and is heard all the time in the great Symphony Halls around the world.

Not exactly sure what your meaning of "wacked it on a DVD" means, but if you think that music DVD's are great sonic works, man-o-man you have missed the boat !!
          DVDs are not great sonic works, I agree. In the alt pop genre they often sound better than the compressed to hell CD because its still got some dynamics. I really enjoy my concert DVDs (CDs also, like the BBC ones) and of course the pictures help.

Classical music can sound fabulous live, I agree with you there, but that is only part of my musical taste.

Let us not forget that hifi is a tool for enjoying your music, not the other way around. There is plenty of dodgy playing on nirvana unplugged, yet it is one of my favourite CDs and I think it sounds great. I played a Blind Willie Johnson CD when I demoed a Conrad Johson amp this week, a recording from the late 1920s - CJ made it sound better than I could have hoped - warts and all.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"