X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Off to the show!

I’m leaving in a few minutes to go see Harry Connik, Jr.. At the Benedum Center (a gorgeously restored concert hall), in PGH.

My wife surprised me two days ago with orchestra center section, Row ‘G’ tickets for a belated b-day present. I am very excited, and the concert is his part of his charity tour to rase money for New Orleans and its rebuilding.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Well belated Happy B-day! How was the show?
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

Thank you for b-day well wish, John.

Well, the show was just fabulous. Harry is a consummate entertainer, IMH (and biased) O.
      It is so obvious he is having more fun than anybody else in the hall. And he loves to talk. And has an enviable sense of humor.

BTW, two members of the band where PGH natives. I have to say this band had the best brass section I have ever had the privilege of seeing and hearing. So tight and dynamic, it was pure nirvana for a jazz lover like myself.

He also had a young percussionist who had a few showcase stints, one of which was playing directly on the top of Harry’s Steinway!

Harry was energized, on top of his craft, and tireless; unfortunately, the crowd was anything but involved and reciprocative. There were a few of us who were, and we may have generated a few grumblings from other more sedate patrons, but Harry reacted positively to our exuberance.

As far as the venue, the hall has decent acoustics, I know because I have been there a few times before. Unfortunately, the sound engineer was exceptionally talented at destroying most of its attributes. They had piled speakers at both ends of the stage, and placed them far far infront of the band with volume so high, there was no sound coming from the instruments! Harry’s piano was stage left, bass was center and brass section stage right; yet all the music was coming from the center, and the Steinway sounded like it was stage right! After the first song, my wife turned to me and said ‘Is there something wrong? The music sounds much better at home!’

As the show progressed, they made some slight adjustments, and eventually, we actually were able to discern sound coming from the instruments on stage instead of noticeably distorted noise which at times seemed to be a mono signal coming from the extreme left or right front row seats. However, the standup bass on center stage sounded muddied and vague the entire night.

Enough ballyhooing the low quality of the sound engineer’s work and lackluster enthusiasm of the crowd, because if Harry or any of the band were aware of these issues, they never showed it. Had the venue been a club with a 500 person capacity filled to the brim with loyal and exuberant fans, they could not have shown any more energy or involvement.

We had fun, it was great show and I am very happy to have had the chance to see this band. Their professionalism, skill and talent are of the highest quality, and their performance under such conditions only go to prove the point.
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

wkhanna,

Glad to hear that you and your wife enjoyed yourselves. Despite the lack of an enthusiastic crowd and bad sound.

At least Harry & company were good. And, the Benedum Center looks to have been worth the trip in it's self.

Thanks for sharing your evening with us!
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

wkhanna,
          You have good taste my friend. I love Harry Connick Jr and own several of his cds. I would love to see him in concert if he ever gets around my part of the world.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Ah my dear friend; I was actually thinking of you when I was at the show! I was thinking that you might enjoy it. You must get, if don’t already have it, Harry’s Audio DVD “Only You”. It was recorded at The Theatre Capitole In Quebec City. The show we saw had most of the same musicians and some the songs from this performance.
            I only wish the audience had been as engrossed and appreciative as the one in Canada.
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

wkhanna, I have Only You and love it, especially his rendition of Save The Last Dance For Me and I Only Have Eyes For You.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                I Only Have Eyes For You.
                Hey!!! That one is not on my DVD?!?!?!
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
                  Hey!!! That one is not on my DVD?!?!?!
                  I should have clarified things. I only have the cd. There are 2 discs and the line up is as follows, so you can compare with the dvd audio :
                  Disc 1:
                  More
                  The very thought of you
                  Save the last dance
                  My blue heaven
                  You don't know me
                  All these things
                  For once in my life
                  Only you
                  My prayer
                  Other hours
                  I only have eyes for you
                  Good night my love

Disc 2 bonus tracks:
                  Try a little tenderness
                  Let's just kiss
                  Nowhere with love
                  Nature boy
                  Love is here to stay
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"