X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

DIY stage monitor

My daughter plays guitar in a rock band and they did their first decent size show last Thursday. It wasn't anything huge, just 400 or so teens at an Impact teen camp. It went pretty good but there was some technical problems with the amps cutting out from trying to drive too many speakers.

Anyway, they've been using there guitar/bass amps as monitors for the drummer and miking them to larger speakers at the front. They have a hodge podge of used gear (it's all donated) that's not the best quality, so since my daughter really likes the speakers and subs I've made so far, she volunteered me to build them some nice stage monitors, and eventually a couple subs (those TC sound pro drivers look promising) and some PA's. I've looked around but haven't really found anything helpfull for making some nice gear.

I realize this isn't going to be an inexpensive project. But do you think I can build something like THIS, only better for close to the same price?
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

I do believe you can, but there are certain things about pro sound that can be tough to replicate without some experience in the pro sound world, mostly in the durability of the cabinets. What that means is that although you'll spend less money, it will take a lot of work to get the cabinet quality to a point that they'll last as long as the pro gear.

Here's a project that looks similar to the JBL you linked to, but all of the parts add up to about $150.

Also, you can't mention pro sound subs without me adding this link:

Members of the LAB community began the LAB Subwoofer Project years ago, and many members have contributed drawings, specs, photos, and experiences in designing and building a LAB subwoofer. We have a forum dedicated to the LAB Subwoofer and all the LSP Documentation right here.

I've never heard either of these designs, but the price is right for the first, and the community support seems to be great for the second. Lab horns are supposed to be used in groups, and I have to admit that for a crowd of 400 they might be overkill.

Are kids still into the music with electronic effects that go well below 40 hz? If so, taking this into consideration would let you build a sub that will handle something the kids like that most pro subs just won't do- surely a big hit.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• PoorboyMike
      • Oct 2005

I've considered the durability issue. I think it would be cool to have an aluminum "roll cage" similar to this:

Image not available

I think the kids would really like the look.

I've looked at the PE project you linked to, but the woofer is no longer available. Plus, it would add about $140 to the price that shows up in the cart.

What do you think about THIS design? I don't really know much about horn loaded designs.
      Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 17:28 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

Another one of my famous "start it and don't finish it" projects. I have all the parts just need to get some good, durable paint before I put it all together. I kind of dig the look of the horn loaded woofer though. The six holes on the sides of the horn are for piezo tweeters and the top and bottom are ports. I have a heavy steel grill and plastic corners for it all around so it should be able to take a beating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WedgeHorn1.webp
Views:	47
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	939539

Click image for larger version

Name:	WedgeHorn2.webp
Views:	49
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	939540
        Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 17:27 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"