X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

The "Sound"

You moderators are so kind and gentle. All this time I have been posting in the wrong area. I know very little about audiophile equipment. But I have a great burning expensive music habit.

To think this place has been here all along. Damn me.

So anyway. I'm sitting here listening to Season Of The Witch off the Super Session album, thinking that my all time favorite "sound" is as follows

Lead Guitar
    Rhythm Guitar
    Bass Guitar
    1 or 2 drummers/percussionists
    1 Hammond (preferably with a b3 cabinet)
    2 backup singers (or more... more is good)
    a horn section of any size
    and 1 decent lead singer.. male or female, they don't have to be great, just decent.

Really, as is the case with this record, some parts can be left out. But the Hammond is essential as is the horn section.

You guys have any recommendations of stuff I should check out?
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Anything with Steve Winwood.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Bluespower
      • Sep 2005

If you're enjoying Super Session make sure you get your hands on Kooper Session as well. You may also want to look into some of Brian Auger's work from the same time period. Straight Ahead and Closer To It come to mind.

You also need to explore Jimmy Smith's recordings. He is the Grand Master of the B3 and has many recordings with horns I'm sure you will enjoy.

A DVD you would definately like is Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits Live. Has all the elements you mentioned. Runnin' Blue and Lone Me A Dime are the star tracks.
      Bluespower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
        • Dec 2006

I'm gonna order the Boz Scaggs today. I think I own just about every Jimmy Smith record released in the US, and you're right, he's awesome.

Big Fan of Traffic as well. Anything else? Help a fella out. My girl said I am allowed to make 10 cd or dvd purchases a month, and the calendar says it's a new month. WOO HOO.

Comment

• Bluespower
          • Sep 2005

I'm jealous of your Jimmy Smith collection. I got turned on to him a few years ago and have been playing catch-up ever since. Santa brought me The Cat, Home Cookin' and The Sermon this year. Got about a dozen now but have a long way to go.

I think you're gonna enjoy the Boz concert allot. You may also want to check out John Mayall's 70th Birthday Concert. Has brass, a B3, and some fine guitar work (Buddy Whittingham, Mick Taylor & Eric Clapton).
          Bluespower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
            • Dec 2006

perfect.

The Cat... it's one of the most interesting movie scores... You have Root Down, right? That one is a must... and everything he did with Wes Montgomery... The Dynamic Duo is a good place to start.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

You moderators are so kind and gentle. All this time I have been posting in the wrong area. I know very little about audiophile equipment. But I have a great burning expensive music habit.
              Thelonious Funk, We try to make life as simple as possible here. As long as it isn't too far outside the boundries. Welcome to "In Tune"! And stay awhile. I always enjoy reading your post on the forum. :T
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bluespower
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                perfect.

The Cat... it's one of the most interesting movie scores... You have Root Down, right? That one is a must... and everything he did with Wes Montgomery... The Dynamic Duo is a good place to start.
                I don't, but they've just been added to my short list...
                Bluespower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Bluespower
                  I don't, but they've just been added to my short list...
                  Remember to tell me what you think of Root Down. I'm excited for you. It's tremendous.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by John Holmes
                    Thelonious Funk, We try to make life as simple as possible here. As long as it isn't too far outside the boundries. Welcome to "In Tune"! And stay awhile. I always enjoy reading your post on the forum. :T
                    All right man! Now that I know my place, I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Don't worry, T Funk, I for one, will follow you anywhere, almost!

AFA this 'sound' your looking for, I may be a bit off track, but I have copy of Robert Cray’s 1990 release Midnight Stroll with the Memphis Horns (Wayne Jackson - trumpet/trombone and Andrew Love - tenor sax); along with the Midtown Memphis Rhythm Section (percussion).
                      I think it may meet most of your criteria, albeit with a slightly blues/R&B flavor.
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                        • Dec 2006

If you're enjoying Super Session make sure you get your hands on Kooper Session

Hey cool... checking this record out... Guitarist on it is Shuggie Otis, and I love me some Shuggie.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Hi Eric,

The "Eric Clapton - Live in Hyde Park" DVD is an absolute must. Every song is brilliant (well "Wonderful Tonight" is OK...).

Lead Guitar - Eric Clapton
                          Rhythm Guitar - Andy Fairweather-Low
                          Bass Guitar - Dave Bronze
                          1 or 2 drummers/percussionists - Steve Gadd
                          1 Hammond (well keyboards in this case) - Chris Stainton
                          2 backup singers - Tessa Niles, Katie Kissoon
                          a horn section - Roddy Lorimer, Tim Sanders, Simon Clarke
                          and 1 decent lead singer - Eric Clapton
                          plus 1 blues harp - Jerry Portnoy
                          plus East London Gospel Choir (1 song)

Nigel.

PS. Bluespower, I've watched "John Mayall's 70th Birthday Concert" twice and while it's a very good DVD I rate the "Live in Hyde Park" DVD well ahead of it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Bluespower
                            • Sep 2005

Bigburner,

No arguments from me on that one. Hyde Park is one of my favorites only slightly behind One More Car, One More Rider.

Interesting that TF commented on Shuggie Otis. I have what I think is his first LP (Here Comes Shuggie Otis). I think he was 13 or 14 when he cut the record. Amazing stuff!
                            Bluespower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                              • Dec 2006

Bigburner,

No arguments from me on that one. Hyde Park is one of my favorites only slightly behind One More Car, One More Rider.

Interesting that TF commented on Shuggie Otis. I have what I think is his first LP (Here Comes Shuggie Otis). I think he was 13 or 14 when he cut the record. Amazing stuff!

Yeah that and you're Kooper sessions are near impossible to get. I'm going to keep trying, but I might have to bribe you into something in the future.

Gonna check out Hyde Park this weekend. I'm sure I'll be able to find that in one of the local stores.

Comment

• Bluespower
                                • Sep 2005

I see what you mean by hard to find. This was the best I could come up with:

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

Another Clapton DVD I really enjoy is the Sessions for Robert Johnson. It is wonderfully recorded and has some of the last footage of Billie Preston. I don't think I ever seen musicians having more fun than when they're performing "They're Red Hot".
                                Bluespower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                  • Dec 2006

I need more suggestions. The previous ones are either on order or already owned and damn it all, I need some stuff.

I have these two 400 disc cd players, one is full but I have about 200 lonely slots to fill. I only wish it held records too.

MORE. Feed the monster.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                    • Dec 2006

Oh and hey Bluespower... Did you get that Root Down CD? I'm dying to know what you think of it.

Comment

• Bluespower
                                      • Sep 2005

Not in the house, yet. I made out like a bandit during Christmas and am still digesting that new material.

As for your delema, a few more suggestions might be:

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I don't Want To Go Home.

Flim & The BBs - Tricycle

Lee Ritenour - Overtime (CD or DVD)
                                      Last edited by Bluespower; 09 February 2007, 17:45 Friday.
                                      Bluespower

Comment

• bigburner
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

Another Clapton DVD I really enjoy is the Sessions for Robert Johnson. It is wonderfully recorded and has some of the last footage of Billie Preston. I don't think I ever seen musicians having more fun than when they're performing "They're Red Hot".
                                        I currently have that one on order along with the Allman Bros Beacon Theatre DVD.

Do you have any other "must own" DVDs?

Comment

• Bluespower
                                          • Sep 2005

Bigburner

I have allot of what I consider really really good concert DVDs by artists like Paul McCartney - Back In The U.S.A., John Fogerty - Premonition, & Electric Light Orchestra - Zoom but another that I would put on a "must have" list is:

Procol Harum - Live in Copenhagen

The concert itself is wonderful and there is an added feature on the disc where they are jamming (at Gary's house?). Them doing "Hey Joe" is a real treat.

Other "must haves" that may or may not have already mentioned are of course the Cream Reunion and the Concert For George.
                                          Bluespower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                            • Dec 2006

I ordered Concert For George yesterday along with a lot of other stuff.. Can't wait.

Nigel, Derek Truck's Songlines is good if you haven't already checked it out... Jimi Hendrix Live at Berkeley

And I know this is going to seem like a stretch... but you should really check out Particle's Transformations, Live For The People.

It's sereo-tastic.

Comment

• Bluespower
                                              • Sep 2005

Nutin' like a batch of new tunes for the wintertime blues.

Hope you're stocked up on GUINNESS because you're not going to want to leave the house when they arrive.

I'm a big fan of roofing tar and had the pleasure a few years ago of being in Great Britian to down a few pints in the motherland...
                                              Bluespower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                • Dec 2006

Wintertime blues? What are those? I went to the beach today. I mean... um... yeah it's miserable here! Don't move here because the weather is always awful.

Come visit though. Beer and Jimmy Smith.

Comment

• Bluespower
                                                  • Sep 2005

I went to the beach last weekend to watch my friend do the "eskimo plunge" (charity event). They broke up enough ice to allow about 75 brave (foolish) individuals take the plunge. He said the worst part was getting his legs all cut up on the floating ice chunks. With the wind chill it was about -10. We gave him amble doses of hot buttered rum until he stopped looking blue.
                                                  Bluespower

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                    • Aug 2004

Hey T-Funk,you are an honest man...cause you can't really have the blues in Florida this time of year.One must be in the 'great' northeast where it was a balmy 30 today after being below 20 all week.Yeah!!!!!...that's blues weather....

I picked up Robert Cray's new double cd,'Live Across the Pond'.Can't say I was dissapointed...I have come to expect less and less from him.The album,the sound,was all just like his recent shows I have seen...very vanilla.To me,he has not had any 'life' to his music since his hissy-fit with bassist Richard Cousins some ten years ago.
                                                    I bought the cd in an attempt to give him another chance...but no...
                                                    And to think,he was once my favorite contemporary bluesman...

An album I do like is Bob Dylan's new one,Modern Times.Which surprised me,because I have never been a fan of his...yes,I know...blaspemy in some parts.
                                                    But this cd,I love the sound,the feel and everything about it.You cannot help but move your feet,and butt...

And speaking of Super Session...just the other day I was browsing my local used cd/record store and came across Mike Bloomfeild,Live at the Old Waldorf.
                                                    It is a gem...especially if you are a fan of his.Just some great blues....

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                      • Dec 2006

Added that one to my list.

Bluespower... come to Florida with your buddy and free dive the springs. Always 68 degrees and that feels like ice water when it's 100 degrees out.

Now... Ben Folds Five has a song called Steven's Last Night In Town... piano, not organ, but horns, and the song is wonderful fun.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2005

Bigburner

I have allot of what I consider really really good concert DVDs by artists like Paul McCartney - Back In The U.S.A., John Fogerty - Premonition, & Electric Light Orchestra - Zoom but another that I would put on a "must have" list is:

Procol Harum - Live in Copenhagen

The concert itself is wonderful and there is an added feature on the disc where they are jamming (at Gary's house?). Them doing "Hey Joe" is a real treat.

Other "must haves" that may or may not have already mentioned are of course the Cream Reunion and the Concert For George.
                                                        I have the Paul McCartney one (I'm a wee bit over Paul, but it's still good), the John Fogerty one (are the drums too loud on this mix??), the Cream one (my favourite music DVD of all time) and the Concert for George too (very emotional concert - I loved it). I don't have the ELO one and it sounds interesting...

Comment

• bigburner
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2005

I ordered Concert For George yesterday along with a lot of other stuff.. Can't wait.

Nigel, Derek Truck's Songlines is good if you haven't already checked it out... Jimi Hendrix Live at Berkeley

And I know this is going to seem like a stretch... but you should really check out Particle's Transformations, Live For The People.

It's sereo-tastic.
                                                          There's a moment in Concert for George where Tom Petty and Paul McCartney (I think... it might have been Eric Clapton) look at each other when they realise how much Dhani Harrison looks like his dad. If I wasn't such a tough bastard I would have cried...

I know the Derek Trucks DVD. If you check out the DVD thread in this forum you'll see I rated this as the best new DVD of 2006.

I've got a few Hendrix DVDs but I don't have Jimi Plays Berkeley.

As for Mr Particle, I'll look him up.

Comment

• Bluespower
                                                            • Sep 2005

Bigburner

I guess I'm not as tough a bastard as you. On the first viewing there were two moments that definately brought a tear. The first was a crowd scene with some audience members holding a banner saying "My Sweet George". The other was the closing number "See You In My Dreams".

And yes, there is no questioning that George was his father. If he had been wearing a coller-less suit it would have been 1964 again.

If you enjoyed Jeff Lynn's (and his guitarists) contribution on the Concert For George, you may very well like Zoom. To my ears, there is no doubt that Jeff's writing was heavily influenced by his frienship with George/The Beatles.

I've got a pretty good collection of his pre-ELO material when he was in a band called The Move. An album called Shazam is well worth picking up if you can find it.
                                                            Bluespower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                              • Dec 2006

I'M ROOTING DOWN WITH JIMMY SMITH!!!

You should too. All of you.

Pardon me while I continue to beat this dead horse.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • May 2005

I'M ROOTING DOWN WITH JIMMY SMITH!!!

You should too. All of you.

Pardon me while I continue to beat this dead horse.
                                                                So would you recommend "Root Down" or "Root Down Live" Eric?

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                  • Dec 2006

Sounding off.. Stephen Stills... Manassas fits my bill... almost. Good enough for me though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                  😀
                                                                  😂
                                                                  🥰
                                                                  😘
                                                                  🤢
                                                                  😎
                                                                  😞
                                                                  😡
                                                                  👍
                                                                  👎
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"