X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric_C
    • Nov 2006

Paisley Park Artists?

We're big Prince fans and I've found his Hit I and II, plus Musicology to be excellent reference material.

They easily are equal to any SACD or DVD-A I've heard.

He does all his own mastering, engineering, etc and it really shows. Even if your not a fan its impossible not to appreciate the quality of these recordings.

He publishes off his Paisley Park label and know there have to be other artists that he produces. I can't find any reference on the website at all to other artists.

I'm going to take a guess that with the way he is about his music that most artists produced at his studio's are of an equal caliber.

I just can't find anything that tells me what other artists he produces.

Anyone familiar?

Thanks
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hello Eric_C,

My wife and I are Prince fans as well. We have a big collection of his early work. From "The Gold Album" and before. We've only puchased "3121" since then.

As to your question; outside of the earlier acts that he promoted, (Shelia E, The Time, Apollonia 6, Taja Seville, etc.) I really have no clue of those on his label.

But as you can tell, I haven't kept up with him in my older yrs as I did twenty yrs ago. :B Though I'm looking forward to his Super Bowl halftime show!!!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Eric_C
      • Nov 2006

I've always been a Prince fan in some capacity but hearing it all over again on our first real system in the house really changes things.

Everything I owned sounded better on our system than I had heard previously...Prince sounded totally different.

I'm trying to get a list together off all his stuff but his website is not too cooperative. Is there something newer than Musicology?

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

In addition to the names already mentioned, other Paisley Park artists include The Family, Vanity 6, Carmen Electra, Mavis Staples, Madhouse, Eric Leeds, TC Ellis and Ingrid Chavez. Some of these albums are either out-of-print or hard to find. Individual tracks may be found on compilation CDs. Prince has also written a slew of songs under his own name and several aliases for many artists like Sheena Easton, Madonna, The Bangles and his sister Tyka Nelson, to name just a few.

Addendum: I came across some used Paisley Park stuff today but on vinyl only. I have purchased from the vendor in the past and the condition of their vinyl is usually as described or better.
        Last edited by Glen B; 24 January 2007, 17:26 Wednesday.

Comment

• Eric_C
          • Nov 2006

We picked up 3121 tonight.

Its not too bad but the thing I like is how much his music branches out where this seems strictly R&B. Of course I'm only half way through it...I need to pick up Sign 'o The Times next time I'm there.

They had it but the wife was already giving me that look because of the 5 CD's we picked up the other night, plus 3121 and I also got The Tragically Hip's World Container.

I'm getting closer to getting a turntable...I'm really avoiding it, more of that evil eye

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Here's the Wikipedia listing for Paisley Park.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Eric_C
              I'm trying to get a list together off all his stuff but his website is not too cooperative. Is there something newer than Musicology?
              1978 For You
              1979 Prince
              1980 Dirty Mind
              1981 Controversy
              1982 1999
              1984 Purple Rain
              1985 Around The World In A Day
              1986 Parade
              1987 Sign O' The Times
              1988 Lovesexy
              1989 Batman
              1990 Graffiti Bridge
              1991 Diamonds And Pearls
              1992 (Prince and the New Power Generation)
              1993 Gold Nigga
              1993 The Hits / The B-Sides
              1994 1-800-New-Funk
              1994 Come
              1994 Black Album
              1995 Exodus
              1995 The Gold Experience
              1996 Girl 6
              1996 Chaos And Disorder
              1996 Emancipation
              1998 Crystal Ball / The Truth / Kamasutra
              1998 Newpower Soul
              1999 The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale
              1999 Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic
              2000 Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic
              2001 The Very Best Of Prince
              2001 The Rainbow Children
              2002 One Nite Alone...
              2002 One Nite Alone... Live!
              2003 N.E.W.S
              2004 Musicology
              2006 3121
              2006 Ultimate Prince

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Quite a list. To me though, he peaked with Purple Rain, with its predecessor (1999) a close second. I wonder if his scheduled half-time performance at this year's Superbowl will pull him out of obscurity.

Oh sorry, back on topic. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks for the link David. Interesting read.

Eric_c,
                  I agree that "3121" was not quite what I was expecting. Though I do like it, it serve as a solid example of why I stopped purchasing his music. Like David, I think he peaked with "1999". I did however enjoyed "Batman" and "Diamonds & "Pearls" enough to buy them.

Speaking of vinyl, I own every one from "For You" to "Sign O The Times" on that format.
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"