X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

dual disc question

I bought my first dual disc last night (Franz Ferdinand's new disc) and had a few questions. I hope this hasn't been brought up before.

About the DVD layer: From what I've read it comes in two flavors - Enhanced stereo sound or 5.1 surround.

First question is this "enhanced stereo sound" - what does that mean exactly?
    Second question - the 5.1 surround mix - is this la DVD-A or SACD layer or more like a normal 5.1 DVD movie soundtrack that you'd get with any DVD-video disc?
    Christopher
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Enhanced stereo - Typically at a higher sampling rate, i.e. 192KHz vs. Redbook CD @ ~44.1KHz

So, the theory is more data, better sound...

DVD-A can either be 2 channel or multi-channel. Typically in 2 channel you get higher resolution per channel than you would with multi-channel. There's only so much information that can be stored on a DVD.

Difference between standard DVD and DVD-A is sampling frequency. DVD are 96KHz while DVD-A are higher sampling rates.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

The enhanced tracks are typcially 24/48KHz vs the Redbook Audio (CD standard) of 16/44.1KHz.

The 5.1 surround is just that, normally it's not DVD Audio, but just it presented in a DD 5.1 surround mix.

If you have a good CD player with good DACs on it, I have found in the 3 or 4 dual discs I have that I typically like the CD side better than the enhanced stereo/5.1 side as it sounds "better" to me. I just like getting them for the videos/making of the album. I really liked the Dave Matthews Band - Stand Up dual disc for the behind the scenes stuff, made it worth the few bucks more.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"