X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

Has anyone ever imported a DVD-A from the UK

I am curious if anyone has done this. I am eyeing a Iron Maiden DVD-A that I have yet to see anywere on this side of the pond.

Found it Here

The Review:

Amazon.co.uk Review
    The release of Dance of Death, Iron Maiden's 13th studio album, comes at a most fortuitous time. Fortuitous for them, because in 2003--after years of struggle--rock has fought its way back to the top of the UK charts (thanks, in large part, to the success of The Darkness). Fortuitous for us, because Dance of Death ably demonstrates why, amongst the Monsters of Rock pantheon, Iron Maiden are the Godzilla.

With singer Bruce Dickenson and guitarist Adrian Smith now firmly re-entrenched after returning for their previous album, Brave New World, Iron Maiden seem newly reinvigorated. Dance of Death sounds like classic Maiden--in particular Seventh Son of a Seventh Son--right down to the over-the-top production. It kicks off at breakneck speed with first single "Wildest Dreams", builds to a crescendo by track three (the anthemic "No More Lies"), and for the most part, maintains this pace throughout the album, pausing only briefly for the slow build of the title track or the orchestra-laden, battlefield epic "Paschendale". Dickinson's overwrought vocals add gravity to apocalyptic lyrics that would descend into irony or outright silliness at the hands of a lesser band (who else could get away with the sound effect of a hawk's cry in the middle of a song?). These are serious men playing serious music, and after more than two decades, Iron Maiden can still teach the big-shorted yoof a thing or two about rock. With Dance of Death, Iron Maiden aren't just back, they're back on top. --Robert Burrow
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Wow, an Iron Maiden DVD-A! I'm just amazed, not that I'm a fan or anything. And no, I haven't imported from the UK, but it's not like it would be in PAL format or anything, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
      Wow, an Iron Maiden DVD-A! I'm just amazed, not that I'm a fan or anything. And no, I haven't imported from the UK, but it's not like it would be in PAL format or anything, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.
      ... Actually this is my worry, apart from not finding it available in the States, is a Pal format going to play it in a NTSC dvd player? I don't want to miss screen displays. Good step for Iron Maiden though, I was wondering why such a huge band has not produced anything in SACD, DVD-A, or HDCD...

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

FWIW here is a reply from someone who claims to own the disk:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Iron Maiden will play fine. I have a Pioneer 563-A and it plays fine in that.

However, I don't like this disc. The surround mix is so-so and the albums mix in general is muddy to me. The previous album, "Brave New World" is MUCH better recording-wise not to mention material.
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• fordster
          • Feb 2005

You mean we actually get something you don't, Yippee! I'm not an Iron Maiden fan though so wouldn'y buy this. Most of the time I find that most DVD-A's are only available from North America, we seem to have a very limited choice. High-res music doesn't seem to have taken off in the UK. Our DVD players will output PAL and NTSC (and often convert between the two) as will our TV's. I'd be surprised if yours don't too.
          Dave

Comment

• Foxman
            • Jan 2003

I have decided to wait on this Maden disk, but I did import the newest Porcupine Tree (long story). Anyway, everything plays fine on this disk. :T
            IMO

My Movies
            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"