X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Dts Dvd-a

At this professional meeting, digital transformation leaders and leading experts will discuss topical issues of digitalization.

I can't wait until I have all my equipment and can play some of these titles!

Can anyone here who listens to DVD-A comment on the quality?
    I'm real excited about The Eagles, Blue Man Group, Brian Wilson, Eric Clapton, The Police, Santana, Sting (All of 'em), and some of the Classical Stuff (Bach & Tchaikovsky).

I guess they have both DVD-A (MLP) and DTS 5.1 Tracks (Is that right?).
    ~Nick
  • avpower
    • Dec 2004

I can't comment on the DVD-A but i have been running through the SACD discs - Clapton, Aerosmith, Alan Parsons Project. Joe Satriani (this is the best so far), Allman Brothers. The main limitation of older recordings is just the depth of the original recording. You get a limited sound compared to what we get now. Still 461 Ocean Blvd never sounded so good and both Allman Brothers albums (Eat a peach. Live at the fillmore east) are excellent. And then you know anything Alan Parsons does is well engineered. I hope these new discs play dts5.1. Thats one of the reasons I have so many concert dvd's. Oh btw, the Crossroads Festival is just amazing. If you like guitar, this is one of those rare events where the cameraman AND director actually focused on the guitars. Don't miss it!

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Check out this thread:

Jason

Comment

• taz13
        • Jun 2004

I have several of these and of them my fav is the eagles hell freezes over. The thing is I find I choose the pcm stereo audio track more then I do the dts as I find with my setup the centre is so low that the music doesen't sound right. Having said that when I change my set up so the vocals sound right CC boosted it sounds very nice but my preference is still for 2 channel. But that I believe is just my personal bias.
        Yet in 5.1 my current fav is ACDC live at donnington. It rocks and I listen in both 5.1 and stereo to that one, but in my case anything ACDC does is just fine.
        The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
        Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• mitch57
          • Nov 2004

I have almost all of them mentioned above with the exception of 3 of them. I have DVDA and SACDs. My current collection contains about 120 DVDA/SACDs. I like Eagles - Hell Freezes over in DTS but doesn't even come close to the Eagles - Hotel California in DVDA.

There are numerous others that are absolutely amazing! Check out some of the titles in SACD by "Telarc" and "Heads Up". Especially some of the Jazz albums like the Jazz samplers and Spyro Gyra.
          Mitch
          :stupidpc:

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Oh man I can't wait!

I should have enough equipment up and running in a few weeks to order my first DVD-A and SACD titles.
            ~Nick

Comment

• mitch57
              • Nov 2004

Keep us posted on what you get and what you like. If your thinking about buying an album in SACD or DVDA let me know and if I have it I will give you my opinion on it's musicality.

A great place to order SACD and DVDA is www.towerrecords.com. I've been buying most of mine from them and their prices are great and the delivery is just like second day air but it's ground. It's free with orders of $20.00 or more. It might be slightly slower for you where your at though. I live in Washington state and they usually ship from California. If I place an order on Thursday morning they usually ship the same day and it gets to my mailbox on Saturday.

Second day air is only about 6-7 bucks if you can't wait. I am very impressed with their service and selection.
              Mitch
              :stupidpc:

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Thanks Mitch!

I'll be picking up some stuff towards the end of the month or beginning of March.
                ~Nick

Comment

• benny
                  • Jan 2005

The Police stuff on SACD sounds great. The vocals seem a little..."distant" on some of it but the extra musical detail is awesome. I'd check out the Miles Davis stuff too if that's your sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"