X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdram
    • Mar 2005

Turntable Choices

Hey all,

In January 2013, I bought a Pro-ject Debut III to see if I wanted to get back into vinyl. The answer was yes, and it's time to upgrade. Couple things with the Debut III...has an 11" platter and a $50 cartridge. I think I might be missing something. My three options for an upgrade now are a Music Hall MMF-7.3, a Rega Planar 6, or a Mobile Fidelity Ultradeck. I would go with MM cartridge, so Rega and Mofi both at $2000.00. Music Hall with Ortofon Bronze at $1595. Since we live on line, I can't go to see any of these.
    Opinions? Thanks.

Rich
    Last edited by rdram; 10 April 2018, 13:44 Tuesday.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

sorry, Rich.... i just saw this....
    ...i am not getting notifications of posts for some reason.... need to fix that..!

let me get back to you after i have time to more thoroughly digest your question & options....

regards,
    bill
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• rdram
      • Mar 2005

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the response. No hurry...just considering options. TT is running thru a Mac C48 preamp, using the phono stage built into that. Preamp does have MC input, but I've never owned anything with a MC cartridge. I suppose that could be an option with the MoFi or Rega TT's.

Rich

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by rdram
        Hey Bill,

Thanks for the response. No hurry...just considering options. TT is running thru a Mac C48 preamp, using the phono stage built into that. Preamp does have MC input, but I've never owned anything with a MC cartridge. I suppose that could be an option with the MoFi or Rega TT's.

Rich
        hi Rich!

valuable info there, answered a lot questions i was going to ask....

what is your budget?
        do you prefer detail or smoothness?
        flat response or leaning toward forward highs or accentuated bass?
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• rdram
          • Mar 2005

Bill,

Thanks for responding. To answer your questions...

Budget: $1500-$2000. Budget is a little flexible, as this will be my last TT purchase. Rega Planar 6 with Ania MC cartridge is $2200.00. I could do that, but if Music Hall MMF-7.3 is $1595.00, then how do I justify an extra $$600 for Rega?
          Do I prefer detail or smoothness... not sure how to answer that. Shooting from the hip... detail.
          Flat response or leaning toward forward highs or accentuated bass? Again...not sure how to answer that. It has been my opinion that a component should not have any influence....meaning a TT should reproduce what's on the vinyl without adding anything. Having said that, if I had one critique of my current TT, it would be a lacking at both ends... no bottom end and no top end. A function of a $45 cartridge? Maybe...so I guess I'd pick forward highs, accentuated bass.

Bottom line, this is probably a question no one can answer. I did notice that your Avatar looks like a Music Hall TT. and if so, and you've had good luck with that TT, then that's what I'm looking for. Opinions from an owner... Thanks.

Rich

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

well, Rich, once again i am late to the game..... V late...

so sorry...

yes, i have a MMF-7 with a Pro-Ject Speed Box & an AT150MLX Cartridge.
            i am V pleased with its performance.

the Music Hall will most likely be the 'smoother' of the two, as the rega is known for its speed, as in the acronym PRaT, which stands for pace,rhythm and speed.
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"