X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

My new turntable

Pro-Ject RM 10.1 with a Dynavector 20X2 cart.

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

:T Sweeeeet! How does it sound? You realize , of course , we at the Guide expect a full review of new gear! Or at least a listening impression... :W
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• btf1980
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Alaric
      :T Sweeeeet! How does it sound? You realize , of course , we at the Guide expect a full review of new gear! Or at least a listening impression... :W
      The sound is impressive. I know this table quite well, so I knew what to expect. My previous table was a Pro-Ject RPM 6.1 pictured below which was no slouch in its price range.

The immediate difference between the 10.1 and 6.1 is the size. The platform for the 10.1 alone is heavier than the entire 6.1 deck. With the platform, the 10.1 is around 60lbs. The build quality is terrific.

In terms of performance, the 10.1 is great. Open, spacious, coherent, focused, accurate, and great dynamics. Really great sound quality.

I recently left the B&W & Rotel club in favor of Sonus faber & McIntosh, and I feel this new turntable breaths new life into everything. On to new beginnings.

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

Very nice Atane!
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• btf1980
          • Aug 2007

Thanks Face!

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I have anxiously been waiting to hear what replaced your previous equipment.

I have always had a soft spot for Sonus Farber. AFA the TT is concerned, my late friend Rod’s system includes an RPM 9.1. Based on the many hours I have spent listening to it, I think you will be pleased.

Enjoy, my friend!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I recently left the B&W & Rotel club in favor of Sonus faber & McIntosh
              Wow. That seems like a completely different sonic direction , but it's been a couple years since I was able to listen to any McIntosh gear. What's your take on the differences between your previous gear and the current set-up? The few times I've gotten to hear jazz on Mc gear it seemed like a good pairing.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• btf1980
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Alaric
                Wow. That seems like a completely different sonic direction , but it's been a couple years since I was able to listen to any McIntosh gear. What's your take on the differences between your previous gear and the current set-up? The few times I've gotten to hear jazz on Mc gear it seemed like a good pairing.
                Yes, sound signature is a bit different, but it suits me fine. Obviously McIntosh is several steps above Rotel, but the main difference with the SF/Mac combo is that it sounds so emotive, for lack of a better word. B&W/Rotel is a fine combo, but now that I can do some comparisons, it sounds like you're listening to a hifi system. SF/Mac doesn't sound like that at all. It just sounds more "real". Hard to put it into words. I'm not a Stereophile staff writer...

Oh, and it is the Sonus faber Cremona M. Unfortunately, it's a bit too much speaker for my modest sized NYC living room. The dealer did advise me that I would be better off with bookshelves, but I didn't listen. He was right. Waiting for Cremona Auditor Ms now.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by BTF
                  Oh, and it is the Sonus faber Cremona M. Unfortunately, it's a bit too much speaker for my modest sized NYC living room.
                  Too much speaker???? No, No, why?? You're Cremona M only plays to down 40 hertz. You don't want mini monitors.
                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• btf1980
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                    Too much speaker???? No, No, why?? You're Cremona M only plays to down 40 hertz. You don't want mini monitors.
                    Physically, the Cremona M is way too big for my space. I barely got away with my B&W CM9 floorstanders in my living room, and they aren't huge speakers. See vid - http://youtu.be/CpS0B0PPtYs

The only floorstanders that would not dominate the room would be something from Totem or Vienna Acoustics. Totem is out. Something like the new Symphony Edition version of the Beethoven Baby Grand from Vienna Acoustics is still a possibility, since it goes down lower than the Cremona Auditor M, but is not a giant sized speaker. These are the compromises I must make to live in NYC. I cannot have gigantic speakers.

Comment

• r100gs
                      • May 2005

;x( ;x( Man I love the thickness of that platter. NICE TT.
                      Jay

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

I could sit on that platter and I would probably spin !!!! :-)
                        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• btf1980
                          • Aug 2007

Almost had an accident with my turntable. My 4 yr old nephew was visiting from Chicago. I turned around for a minute, and I saw him trying to put cookies on the platter. The poor child thought it was a giant placemat or plate.

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by btf1980
                            Almost had an accident with my turntable. My 4 yr old nephew was visiting from Chicago. I turned around for a minute, and I saw him trying to put cookies on the platter. The poor child thought it was a giant placemat or plate.
                            My favorite is when kids 'poke' in the drivers on speakers. I've seen so many of these tragedy's !!
                            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

As always, you have an amazing setup! Very nice!!
                              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

In my experience, I have found the sound quality of Chips Ahoy! to be quite wanting. Same with Girl Scout Cookies & Oreo.

Nilla Wafers however are Very consistent, though not near the best with regards to dynamic range.

Thus far, in the humble opinion of this long-time audio hobbiest, the only thing better sounding than the Moon Pie brand is anything that comes from Grandmother’s Recipe Box.

As always, JMHO YMMV
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  • Jan 2006

Of course, ‘Sweets’ are tilted a bit towards the adolescent end of the sensory spectrum. And most aficionados crave the true ‘Manna’ of media. In this regard, I must mention an exemplary example I have been most fortunate to discover in my own backyard. It is authentic, hand baked-to-order on wood-fired stone hearth, Libyan style Naan from a local purveyor, Salem's Market & Grill.

If only they could get the spindle hole perfectly centered every time.
                                  Last edited by wkhanna; 13 August 2012, 19:35 Monday.
                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• btf1980
                                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                                    My favorite is when kids 'poke' in the drivers on speakers. I've seen so many of these tragedy's !!
                                    Yup. My other nephew has poked in the tweeter in my old CM7 speakers!

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                    As always, you have an amazing setup! Very nice!!
                                    Cheers!

Well played Bill.

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"