analog Audio Take 2. I tried one table, and wound up with a different and upgrade!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

analog Audio Take 2. I tried one table, and wound up with a different and upgrade!!!

Back to vinyl:
    It's making a resurgence, not only in my home, but in many homes, as people try to reclaim a part of their youth that they cherished dearly. The Rock and Roll era may be gone per se, but it is NOT forgotten, nor the many great jazz, blues, bluegrass, country, and easy listening LPs that crowd our used record stores, just waiting to tell a story. They just want to spin- Unlike DVDs that can suffer from DVD rot, Vinyl knows no such malady. It only knows how to snap crackle and pop, sometimes when they are new even. Ahhhh, that is the price you pay for analog bliss.

Speaking of spinning. Something new is Spinning at my house, only one of us besides me is aware of it. He may come forward, or stay quite. I hope you like my new table. Kudos to the guys at Jerry Raskins Needle Doctor for helping me though this purchase decision, and setup!!! These guys rock!

This story started a few weeks ago, when I came across a metal "stool/table" at Pottery Barn that for them, they were just about giving it away. I saw this thing, and I said I have no idea what I am going to do with this, projector table maybe? I didn't know, honestly. This is how it turned out- I think it was meant to be. heavy wrought iron construction bass with self leveling feet, a table that is solid but spins if you want to see the back. What a deal! I just have to cover it with a soft cover. The cover for this is big and rectangular an would not work on my round table. I'm ok with that.

Some adjustment may still be necessary to get the belt down closer to the center line. I may just need to spin the feet adjusters up a bit. But I don't know if that have that much adjustment left. I adjusted them some, but it didn't seem to change the "plane" much. The motor and bearings are in a self contained cylndrical "can" with the pullys on top, and that part is not adjustable. So only the feet of the table itself adjust. It is notable to note that there are no electronics inside the table other than the RCAs to the cartridge. The other parts are mechanical, the rotating bearings that the main platten freely floats on.

SO quite, so smooth, should compare with tables costing at least twice as much, if not more. In the end, this is really what the big high dollar tables achieve, other than having cartridges that cost more than my table, and having ultra cool designs and esoteric materials in those designs.

Doug

the Pro-Ject RPM5 turntable with Sumiko Blue Point cartridge!!! I'm loving it! It was not without some initial setup anxiety though, lol.

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

V nice, Doug!
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

That's some very nice (and complete) "what's in the box". How does it sound now that you've had some time on it ?
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

It was sounding really fine. Of course, media, varies in quality, and pops can happen at least to me it seems out of nowhere. LPs that have no reason to pop, pop. I have my tracking force weight adjusted well within range as suggested by manufacturer. 1.71

I have had dust issues on my needle. I have had mixed results cleaning needle with my little brush. Sometimes, I get a muddy sound, when the needle is dirty. I clean it, it's ok again or it may not be.

Right now, it goes from sounding really good, to really bad. It's a little frustrating. I would like to say I know how to figure out what issue I have. But I am like a orthopedic surgeon trying to do brain surgery. It's not really my specialty!
        Doug

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is an easy way to clean the stylus , just gently rest the stylus on it a few times then brush it to make sure it's clear.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Nice setup Doug. "Some assembly required?" 8O

The pops could be due to static electricity build-up. I think some record cleaners have anti-static stuff in them, also get some anti-static record sleeves. That should cut down on the popping some.

I'll be making my first foray into the world of analog soon... stay tuned!

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
              A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is an easy way to clean the stylus........
              Lee, you beat me to it.....again!
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Well , we finally got Doug on the vinyl bandwagon so I'm taking a special interest in this! LOL I always figured that if we could get Miles Davis to take a trip from vinyl to Doug's ears we'd have him. MD traveling through a Sumiko Blue Point and a 12AX7A should make it pretty easy for us.
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Magic Eraser? Where do I get those at?

Some parts sound so clear, then it will go muddy. uhhhhg. I love my table, I just got to get this issue square.

Relax Kevin, that was mostly left over crap, except for 1 weight, lol. I swear!

well, I did install the anti-skating weight and the brass pin that holds it. Finding WHERE to put that pin, was no easy task. Thank Goodness it only has to be put on once. lol.

I like the anti-skating design better on this table than my last.

Right now, Nora Jones is sounding sweet and it is not that good a pressing!!!
                  Doug

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I think it is definitely a cartridge cleaning issue. Ok, I may have violated every rule in the book of vinyl, but I was desperate. I took my disc washer and gently ran over the cartridge needle. Suddenly, it sounded as clear as it has. It's not perfect, it probably needs you guys recommended solution. I will get out to get some soon. Before the weekend anyway.

I am trying the Eagles right now, it starts out clean, but then goes fuzzy after a time. I may have to invest in the best record cleaner, and the cartridge cleaner you all suggested. I didn't know it would be so tough to keep it going clear. Then it clears up for a time, then goes back to being muddy sounding some, is this what you all experience when cartridge is dirtyish?
                    Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

Magic Erasers are available at most grocery stores, Walmart, etc, in the cleaning supplies aisle. They're used to clean stuff around the house, including turntable styluses, apparently. I think Heather has some stashed under the sink. I may have to "borrow" one when I get a TT sometime.

In a pinch, you could use a soft sponge or microfiber cloth in place of the Magic Eraser. As long as you just lower and raise the stylus on whatever it is, without dragging it across the surface, it shouldn't hurt it, and it should take the dust/dirt off.

Cleaning your vinyl before playing is important too, as the dust in the grooves tends to build up on the stylus as the record plays. It's not uncommon to have a little dust bunny on the stylus by the end of a side if your records are dirty.

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

That seems like a lot of cleaning for a new stylus. Is the cartridge loose on the tonearm? You can get a Magic Eraser in the cleaning supply aisle of most supermarkets. Get the white ones. I think they have different colors , but the colored ones have chemicals in them. Maybe try the built in phono pre on your Marantz just to make sure the Bellari isn't acting up. A jeweler's loupe is a handy thing for visual needle inspection , too. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...keywords=loupe

Click image for larger version

Name:	ME_Original_2ct_US_Carton.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	861672
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Suddenly, after my gently rubbing the needle against my ol discwasher, as I have in the past on other needles without ramifications, the table began to straighten up and fly right!
                          I was hearing all the little nuances of Niles Davis, Kind of Blue 1956, my reference material. When Coltrane came on for his best sax solo, I could have melted right there. I heard the reed smack once. I was hearing the suttle cymbal keeping a steady beat. This is what music is all about. Kind of Blue is just such an amazing album, considering the era it was recorded in. I am in awe of the sound. Blessed.

I suspect that 40 year ol records, have soiled it's delicate palete, I knew I had some serious dirt on those LPs. A disc washer is simply inadequite to clean them effectively.

now that I am "clean" an playing a 180 gram newish Niles Davis LP, the clarity is restored, the detail is present.

I did remove the felt for a trial, and play directly against the platten, since it's screwed down anyway. Should be no movement there.

It sounds sooooooo good right now, I don't dare change a thing. I could listen like this for hours.
                          Doug

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

You have achieved the Promise of Vinyl. There are good digital sources out there (I have one) but the way a good album fills the room is magic. :T
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

i use this before every session:

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

btw, guys, Saturday is National Record Store Day NRD

and here in Pittsburgh, Jerry's is celebrating by giving away 20,000 records!
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Wow, I don't think we have a record store left here except used. We had one for MANY years until CDs kicked it in the butt. They tried to adapt, but eventually, their business stopped being competitive whether on CDs or records I guess. CATs Records was it's name.

I imagine I will have to have some liquid. I hadn't seen that. I have a similar brush, but my bristles seem a bit longer...

20,000 record give away? WOW

I was so glad my table came back to performing how it was before last night.

Doug
                                  Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                                    • Aug 2000

There's at least two record stores in Rock Hill not far from me. I'll have to check them out sometime.

So Doug, you have a clean ... uh... stylus now.

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

It's like gravity, Kevin is being drawn into the vinyl abyss... Yes Kevin, I am glad to have a clean stylus today. My method of cleaning is so easy and cheap, I don't know if I should continue that, or throw into this liquid stylus cleaner with brush. I have a brush, but it is one with longer bristles. I am wondering if you couldn't just use D4 cleaner, since basically you are putting your stylus on records just cleaned with it. But I know my brush by itself is too soft to clean what was on it. It took something rubbing a little harder on it to clear it up.Essentially lightly scratching it across the Discwasher clearner brush, did that. Mind you, it is not abrasive, it is just a form of brush.

RCA used to make them I think, they are still available like:

Well, this looks very close to the big brush I have with a hole in the end for a bottle of D4, (then D3) LOL

Thinking about this one, 16 bucks shipped off bay...

Doug

Comment

• Alaric
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

The brush is mostly for application , not scrubbing. The chemicals in the fluid somewhat dissolve the residue. Doesn't do much for dust , but it's designed to clean the film that transfers from the vinyl. The stylus creates heat dragging through the groove and a minute amount of material is transferred.
                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                        Marantz CD5005
                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

Ok, no scrubbing, check. I never scrub-a-dub-dubbed though! I only rubbed gently against my discwasher... lo.. I found an old stylus cleaner brush, then did something with it, and cannot find it. doh... of course, it's very old like me...
                                          Doug

Comment

• Alaric
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

I know the "old" problem. Far too well it seems. LOL
                                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                            Schiit Modi 3
                                            Marantz CD5005
                                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"