Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
    My respect to your friends.
    Thank you, Chis.

Originally posted by Chris D
    And... I guess you can't have any of my gear. You'll just have to come up to Alaska and listen to it all when I'm gone.
    Quite a kind gesture, however my preference would be to schedule this session while we both are able to attend. :W
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
      Your post got me going! Life is good and our shared hobby makes it even better.

Nigel.
      Then I am V happy that the intent of my post successfully met its intended goal. :^x
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Even better, Bill. Come on up to Alaska, and we'll have a grand old time.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

An Ear for Music

Stephen Mejias wrote recently in the January issue of Stereophile of being thoroughly drawn in, transported & emotionally absorbed by the music while listening on a pair of $40 Dayton Audio B652 bookshelf speakers. A report which garnered him interesting evaluation relative to his credential & suitability as a legitimate audio critic. Just how can one be taken seriously by hard-core audio enthusiasts when one says they could enjoy what would be considered the equivalent of two tin cans & a piece of string?

So just who is it that is missing the point here?

I have had a pair of the B652's for years. We use them in our lab at work partnered with a little $40 Dayton Audio DTA-1 Class T Digital Mini 15 WPC Amp fed via PC & a portable 1/2 gig HD. & for X-mass this year, I purchased the same speakers & amp for my daughter who recently moved into her new apartment. The fresh reports from The Wife confirm the V same response as when she first listened to her 'new' system. It has been a while since I saw my daughter so enthralled & excited over anything as she thanked me yet again last week when I too was again impressed by her 'stereo'. In fact, I may have felt a twinge of envy. She may be obtaining far more enjoyment from her system than I do my own!

So now you tell me....which of us is the audiophile & who is the pretentious claimant?
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Bill,

It's good to hear your commentary on the $40 Dayton bookself speaker. I had two pairs of them myself and use one for our TV system and took the other pair out to California while visiting a friend for a couple weeks last June, so I'd have something to listen to music on. I just really enjoyed them also with the Dayton T-amp, and my iPhone as a source.

On the trip, I took my friend and her sister out to Berkely and visited Music Lovers audio store and heard the Wilson Sasha loudspeaker with a Wilson subwoofer. That was really nice and very clean sounding and imaged really well. We had fun and my friend couldn't get over that snapping of the fingers on a Patricia Barber cut, cause it sounded so real. But, the system as a whole cost close to $60,000 dollars. And I still really enjoyed my little setup with the Daytons and the T-amp. I ended up giving them to my friend.

So, I really agree with the review of Stephen Mejias and your take on the little Dayton as well. Very musical little speakers which are easy to place. Too bad some people are so snooty about this stuff and pay more attention to the price tag than the music.

John
            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Thank you for your input, John.

A quote from an associate who has taught me much in a short time:

".....the music rules and the equipment seduces."
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"