X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

Record Player To Convert Vinyl To Digital

I have inherited some vinyl and I would like to convert them to digital, add to Roon, and enjoy listening. I've never owned a record player and from reading around this website and the web there seems to be a whole bunch of other gear that one would want to for a vinyl setup... Since I've been all digital and plan to try vinyl at a later time when I have all the other speakers built for my theater that is when I would like to start exploring. In the meantime I would like to digitalize the vinyl I've got and continue using the digital setup that JonMarsh has consulted with me on creating.

What recommendations do you have to share for picking out a record player to digitize vinyl?

Painter in training
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Though more details about your budget and expectations would be most useful, using the concept of high performance for sensible amounts of money some recommendations are possible...

https://www.hegel.com/en/products/phono/v10

Click image for larger version

Name:	V10Angle.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	946730

Name:	V10Back.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	946731

https://www.rega.co.uk/products/planar-6

Name:	PL6_neo_gallery_a2.jpg?v=1671236029&width=1680.jpg
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	946732

Name:	PL6offsidenolidhighrview.jpg?v=1671236029&width=1680.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	946734

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/...3r/136703.html

Name:	dl-103r-1a_19102020.jpg?v=1671041873&width=1680.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	946733
    Last edited by theSven; 02 August 2023, 11:02 Wednesday. Reason: Add images
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

Hey Sven, you might already be aware of this, but Music Direct has a pretty good selection of turntables and associated hardware covering a wide range of prices and options.
      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Evil Twin
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

For those following this topic, note that one audio capture application seems to stand above the crowd, with it's strong functional dedication and plethora of positive reviews over the years...

http://www.channld.com/purevinyl/

Name:	sc-purevinyl.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	946676
        DFAL
        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• theSven
          Master of None
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Steve Manning
          Hey Sven, you might already be aware of this, but Music Direct has a pretty good selection of turntables and associated hardware covering a wide range of prices and options.
          No, I was not aware. This impromptu idea came to me yesterday and I posted to the site here before doing any research. I figured members would chime in and then give some opinions and I could start narrowing in. Otherwise I get caught in the rabbit hole and focus on details that may not matter.

Thanks for sharing the link Steve Manning 😉
          Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
            Master of None
            • Jan 2014

After doing some reading shared by Evil Twin to see how the dark side rules the vinyl world... Here is one proposed architecture that includes the Rega Planar 6, Denon DL103, and the Hegel V10. To get the audio into the computer the RME Babyface Pro FS or RME Fireface 400 were recommended. Once the audio is at the computer software is record to record the playback, and Pure Vinyl Recorder seems to be a popular option when searching for solutions to digitize vinyl.

Name:	vinyl2DigitalArch-1.png
Views:	85
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	946737

Two questions I have are:
            1. What is better to connect the record player to the Hegel, MM or MC?
            2. I seem to recall a friend telling me years ago that if I ever got into vinyl to build a shelf with sand and put the record player on a piece of wood on a big pile of sand. Have to look up why?
            I will go check out the link Steve Manning shared as well and see what questions I have after that.

As for budget which Evil Twin asked about, I'm just seeing what the art of possible is with all the options. Like many on here it's always looking for the best Champaign on a beer budget 🤔.
            Painter in training

Comment

• Evil Twin
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

The recommended Denon cartridge is a moving coil type. This general category has lower output level and requires a specialized input supporting it, but the "general" consensus for decades is that moving coil cartridges as a class have higher fidelity. The Denon DL103 in a number of variants (suffix "R" now) has been in production since the 1970's, and is highly regarded. Jon Marsh has related that his last phono systems used either this cartridge or an MC Dynavector cartridge.
              DFAL
              Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• theSven
                Master of None
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                The recommended Denon cartridge is a moving coil type. This general category has lower output level and requires a specialized input supporting it, but the "general" consensus for decades is that moving coil cartridges as a class have higher fidelity. The Denon DL103 in a number of variants (suffix "R" now) has been in production since the 1970's, and is highly regarded. Jon Marsh has related that his last phono systems used either this cartridge or an MC Dynavector cartridge.
                Thanks for the info. Will not bring up MM again 😂. I did have to do a search to see that MM stands for Moving Magnet and is the entry level for spinning. Audiophiles all go towards moving coil MC.
                Painter in training

Comment

• WHC
                  • Apr 2023

One thing I found to make a large difference in my vinyl setup was the addition of the Parks Audio Puffin phono DSP. It doesn't just turn an analog signal to digital, this does an amazing job of cleaning up the snaps, pops, and static, and corrects the inconsistencies that come from old records while keeping the warmth that you expect. I have mine using optical out to my DAC, but you can get a version that does coax as well or you can stick with analog out (it's an OK DAC itself). Newer records sound a little better, but older originals is like night an day.

Comment

• theSven
                    Master of None
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by WHC
                    One thing I found to make a large difference in my vinyl setup was the addition of the Parks Audio Puffin phono DSP. It doesn't just turn an analog signal to digital, this does an amazing job of cleaning up the snaps, pops, and static, and corrects the inconsistencies that come from old records while keeping the warmth that you expect. I have mine using optical out to my DAC, but you can get a version that does coax as well or you can stick with analog out (it's an OK DAC itself). Newer records sound a little better, but older originals is like night an day.
                    Have you had any experience digitizing your records with the setup you have?
                    Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
                      Master of None
                      • Jan 2014

Update to the story....

I was trolling eBay and found a deal on the RME Fireface 400​ devices. I put a bid on and won 2 of them for a great price! I got out bid, but the high bidder backed out and eBay gave me the deal at my bid. Funny how that has happened for all the things I've really wanted on eBay in the last 5 years. My camera, a video card, and some other camera's I ordered all had this experience of getting out bid and then getting a second chance at my bid.

Thus I will be starting with the RME Fireface 400 for the initial digitalizing of the Vinyl. I also bought my very first record this week too, to go along with the one that I inherited.

Name:	BrazillianRareGroove.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	946849

My wife has been helping me build up my Brazilian music collection of artists from there. As JonMarsh is famous for saying...

Slow work takes time!
                      Painter in training

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"