X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleeper_red
    • Sep 2004

subwoofer help

I'm looking to buy a subwoofer and can't decide between B&W ASW600 or SVS 25-31pci. I've heard the B&W before but read good reviews on the SVS. Which one would you guys recommend? Thanks.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yikes, I'm not sure if someone can really give you a good review comparison on both of those or not... for me, I can only tell you that the SVS will be awesome. I have a pair of PC Ultras that rock.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

Sleeper Red,
      If you have a B&W Dealer that will allow you to take one home, then you can make that comparison yourself.

I will say this much I owned a very nice M&K and the SVS setup I heard wiped the floor with it. In fact my friend replaced an $1800 Velodyne with his new 25-31cs+ pair. Granted that's 2 subs but the price was cheaper.. Some will attempt to point out that the SVS is more movie oriented and from the music I heard on the SVS setup, I would say that that is purely an issue of setup. What I heard was as musical as any sub you'll find.

Given SVS's liberal 45 day return policy, I don't think you can lose here. If you have already gotten past the "Tube Look' which bothers some, then its all down hill from there.

What I would do is email SVS and ask them. They will NOT oversell you. Their customer service is LEGENDARY at this point.

Comment

• chrisg
        • Sep 2004

I just bought an SVS pb2-plus and hooked it up last night. This is one of their box models.
        1) It's built like a tank and packed well.
        2) it can produce whatever amount of bass you want. Its hard to imagine
        pushing its limits in any sort of conventional room. I'm guessing I could put it out on my deck and deliver heavy bass to my whole yard. Or neighborhood.
        3) the bass was not distorted or boomy at all.
        4) It sounds good playing music. MOst likley you'll want it set for higher gain for watching movies than music.
        5) for movies with heavy LFE action (I tested with LoTR), it absolutely
        delivers pressure effects that you can feel as physical sensations. Better at this than the transducer systems I've seen IMHO.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

I just placed a order for the PCi20-39 and it should arrive next Friday, can't wait....i'm cancelling all weekend plans...hehe.
          I'm kinda wondering if I should of just ordered the "+" version of the same size, but I guess I'll find out if I need it next Friday.

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

I've read quite a few reviews on the SVS sub, I believe I only have seen one true negative review and it was because of it's look, but perfomance wise, it seemed excellent bang for the buck.

I would find a dealer who will let you trial the B&W and get the 45 day trial that SVS provides, (wait until the SVS arrives, then trial the B&W), and then make a real time comparison. It's the only way to truly know which one you prefer.

Good Luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Sithlord
              • Aug 2004

Svs

Azeke I took a huge gamble and imported the B4+ based on reviews and I've owned quite a few subs and the SVS just blows them all out of the water. Sure the B4+ is overkill in most setups but I was looking long term when I purchased it as I will be moving next year into a much larger room. At the moment that sub is just plain scary delivering amazing deep base when needed. I've read nothing but outstanding reviews across the whole SVS line and I'm sure whatever you decide you will not be disappointed. Plus you get the excellent SVS after sales service which is the best I've come across. Good luck with your testing. :driver:

Comment

• Bill Blank
                • Sep 2002

Buy the SVS, take it to your local B&W Dealer, ask to do a comparison, then decide for yourself.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"