Green Mountain Audio Continuum 2 woofers!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilmaui
    • Oct 2009

Green Mountain Audio Continuum 2 woofers!

Hi Everyone, Ive just acquired some Green Mountain Continuum 2 speakers and keen to get them fired up but one of the woofers is blown so will need to replace both. I pulled them both out of the cabs and the info on them is pretty sparse...anyone have any ideas what I can replace with? Here is the back of the driver with all the info that I can see on it! always appreciate the help!! they are 12"

thanks
    Neil
  • technodanvan
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Hey Neil! Those are some pretty cool looking speakers, do you still have the 'grille' for the top half?

I 'think' those are Pioneer woofers, based on the model number my googling came up with this f/s article from who-knows-when: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...utyl-220319442 and from a DIY Audio posting from last year: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/t...fers-4.387567/

If you can track down a like for like replacement I'd probably get two and replace both. I think my first inclination would be to contact the guy at DIY Audio. Who knows, he might still have a pair.

T/S Parameters from the DIY Audio posting:

Pioneer A30IR50-51F Specifications:
    • Power handling: 150 watts RMS/210 watts max
    • Voice coil diameter: 2-1/2"
    • Impedance: 8 ohms
    • Frequency response: 19-5,000 Hz
    • Magnet weight: 50 oz..
    • SPL: 91 dB 1W/1m
    • Vas: 11.91 cu. ft.
    • Xmax: 3.1 mm
    • Qms: 4.37
    • Qes: 0.27
    • Qts: 0.25
    • Fs: 19 Hz
    • Net weight: 10 lbs.
    • Manufacturer model number: A30IR50-51F
    • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 12-1/8", Cutout diameter: 10-7/8", Depth: 5-1/2", Magnet diameter: 6-1/4", Magnet height: 2".​
    - Danny

Comment

• neilmaui
      • Oct 2009

thats awesome Thanks Danny! thanks so much for the research!! I find it strange that a pair of speakers that cost about $7k actually would use a Pioneer woofer that doesn't appear that high tech!! I do have the upper 'grille's Ill post a pic..Im thinking maybe Ill get with parts express and put something a little nicer in there.

Neil

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

I was also wondering about that. It seems those Pioneers were relatively popular in the early 2000s so it's possible. It's an interesting woofer, one with very little Xmax and very high Vas...it would not be a contender for much bass in modern times as many 12" woofers and subwoofers would have at least double that Xmax, if not four times as much (or more in the case of subwoofers)! As much as I doubted your speakers would use it, I did read several reviews of the Continuum that basically say the bass was not very deep, however what was there was very good. That leads me to believe the Pioneer really may be the OEM part. I did not see any images with high enough resolution to confirm it by appearance alone.

It's certainly not uncommon for loudspeaker manufacturers to use the same drivers we have available in the DIY world then mark everything up a bunch. It happens more often than we'd like to see, for sure!

I did look at PE to see if they had anything close...but like I said, that Vas is problematic and the Xmax is small. While other woofers may work okay in that enclosure with that crossover it certainly wouldn't sound original.
        - Danny

Comment

• neilmaui
          • Oct 2009

The great guys at PE sent me this info, 3 different woofer options. I’m still loathe to put a $50 driver into what essentially are $7k speakers so wondering if the designer series 315 from Dayton would work well.

I have provided a few potential options that would provide similar performance, as to no deviate from the intended characteristics of the OEM Pioneer A30IR50-51F that would have been used in this specific cabinet. I have provided a PDF which outlines a few specific characteristics of each driver in the same enclosure.

Graph Legend

• BLACK - Pioneer A30IR50-51F
          • RED - GRS 12PT-8 12" Paper Cone Professional Woofer with 3" Voice Coil 8 Ohm
          • GREEN - Dayton Audio DS315-8 12" Designer Series Woofer Speaker
          • BLUE - Dayton Audio DC300-8 12" Classic Woofer

Below, I have provided critical dimensions that may eliminate the Dayton Audio DS315-8 12", as its frame design is a bit non-standard, and if there is a recessed edge for the frame of the driver to rest into, the oversized outside diameter may be the most problematic.

GRS 12PT-8 12"
          Power Handling:350 Watts RMS
          Overall Outside Diameter: 310mm (12.205”)
          Cutout Diameter: 277mm (10.906”)
          Mounting Depth: 121mm (4.764”)

Dayton Audio DS315-8 12"
          Power Handling: 120 Watts RMS
          Overall Outside Diameter: 314mm (12.362”)
          Cutout Diameter: 272mm (10.709”)
          Mounting Depth: 126.5mm (4.980”)

Dayton Audio DC300-8 12"
          Power Handling: 80 Watts RMS
          • Overall Outside Diameter: 306.5mm (12.067”)
          • Cutout Diameter: 279.5mm (11.003”)
          • Mounting Depth: 120.2mm (4.732”)

Attached Files

Comment

• technodanvan
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Did those models use the actual internal volume of the cabinet?
            - Danny

Comment

• neilmaui
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by technodanvan
              Did those models use the actual internal volume of the cabinet?
              I gave them internal and external so assume so..I also provided port dimensions just in case that was needed. Im tempted to go with the more expensive DS 315??
              Last edited by neilmaui; 31 July 2023, 15:21 Monday.

Comment

• technodanvan
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

I think I would try the DC300-8 first, but honestly I'm not really sure why. Based on the curves (with an unknown crossover) they should sound roughly the same. The DC300 shows a slight boost in bass just before it rolls off, but I don't think that would be a huge concern.
                - Danny

Comment

• neilmaui
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by technodanvan
                  I think I would try the DC300-8 first, but honestly I'm not really sure why. Based on the curves (with an unknown crossover) they should sound roughly the same. The DC300 shows a slight boost in bass just before it rolls off, but I don't think that would be a huge concern.
                  Appreciate your thoughts Danny, this was the response from PE

The Dayton Audio DS315-8 12" offers a slightly greater linear response compared to the original Pioneer woofers, while also retaining a nearly identical low-frequency extension. Moreover, the enhanced Xmax value enables the driver to handle higher amplitudes before encountering mechanical distortion. Additionally, the sensitivity of this Dayton option closely aligns with that of the original Pioneer woofer, facilitating a smoother integration of the OEM components and the replacement woofer.

Comment

• technodanvan
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

I feel like either would work if we're just looking at sensitivity (91 vs 90). The additional xmax may be nice, but we don't know if the rest of the speaker could keep up with it anyway so I'd call that a wash. The DS315 is probably a better, more linear driver though. I really don't think either is a 'wrong' choice.
                    - Danny

Comment

• neilmaui
                      • Oct 2009

thanks Danny, really appreciate the input , experience and advice rather than my 'just about enough knowledge to be dangerous' approach!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"