X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spanky Ham
    • Jul 2006

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest at Secrets

I saw this review of the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest over at Secrets. Did anyone else go? Anything of interest?

I did like the line array for $18k. :rofl:
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Spanky Ham
    I saw this review of the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest over at Secrets. Did anyone else go? Anything of interest?

I did like the line array for $18k. :rofl:
    I posted a few pics and my impressions here....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Spanky Ham
      • Jul 2006

Missed it Thomas! Good write up. I guess what I would like to know is there anything that was there that would influence DIY.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sometimes there are ideas that can be borrowed....:wink:

This time there was little..... :cry:

Several 'dipole' designs where the woofers were monopole. That makes no sense to me.

Since I'm not a vinyl fan or into horns, 50% of the show was of little interest.

I did enjoy spending time talking with Frank VanAlstine. It's not often one gets a chance to meet, and casually exchange ideas with a legend in the audio world.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Davey
          • Jan 2003

These Roger Russell "column" speakers caught my eye:

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Those drivers are about $30.00 each at Madisound, and it wouldn't take very long to construct those. $19,000.00 seems pretty steep to me.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'm a BIG fan of line arrays done right, but.....

The problem here wasn't a function of the electronics. Everyother time I've heard the big Mac monoblocks they've sounded very good. So I blame this on the speakers...

The IDS by R Russel basically just sounded bad. Horrible treble, no bottom end, and mediocre midrange.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Davey
              • Jan 2003

Thomas,

There's supposed to be an equalizer that goes with those speakers. Was that not in use?
              I thought the recent "update" of his design in AudioXpress was an interesting read. It was kind of funny because he appears to be caught in some kind of time warp as far as utilization of electronics. He used these ancient McIntosh EQ boxes that looked like they dated from the sixties.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Davey,

I walked in, shot 2 pictures, then sat down. After a minute or so of listening I had to leave, because the treble was like fingernails on a blackboard. I didn't bother to get any specifics, I just wanted out of the room....The next day I walked by and stood in the door opening for ~30 sec, nothing had changed..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                  • Jul 2006

Feel free to move this, if you prefer this discussion in the other thread.

I hate to do this to you, but Audio Federation did a monster report. It is funny that they only mention the Mac amps in that line array room.

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Those drivers are about $30.00 each at Madisound
                    Which drivers are they?

Comment

• Davey
                      • Jan 2003

Dennis,

The actual driver specified by Roger Russell is Vifa TG9FSD10-8 which is an obsolete shielded 8-ohm driver available only from a fella in Michigan for $68.00 each. How convenient.

A current driver is Peerless V-line TG9FD10-4 available from MAD for $29.50 each.

I ordered a couple of these awhile back to experiment with and the response is actually pretty good. EQ would still be a requirement, but a DIY version of the IDS-25 "column system" could easily be built for MUCH less than the $19,000.00 retail price.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• Patrick Bateman
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        I'm a BIG fan of line arrays done right, but.....

The problem here wasn't a function of the electronics. Everyother time I've heard the big Mac monoblocks they've sounded very good. So I blame this on the speakers...

The IDS by R Russel basically just sounded bad. Horrible treble, no bottom end, and mediocre midrange.
                        Line arrays have amazing efficiency and dynamics. The first time you hear them, you're amazed by how much a traditional 2-way compresses dynamics.

Having said that, line arrays also have WILDLY erratic frequency response as you move around the room. This is because you are listening in the nearfield.

I've heard dozens of arrays, and the only ones that didn't have obvious response problems were in HUGE rooms, where you could get far away from them and let them "integrate."

Power tapering helps a lot though, and I appreciate that Griffin has written about it extensively.

IIRC, the speakers you heard to not use power tapering.

:: PB ::

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"