This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noah katz
    • Dec 2005

Parts Express has a 12" waveguide for $14, it says "useful acoustic loading down to 1200 Hz."

Am I just optically illuded? All these waveguides look like bowls to me, i.e., concave, whereas everything I'm reading says they're conical.

"Differences in directivity control. The more directivity, the longer and larger a "waveguide" or horn mouth will have to be."

So mouth diameter is not necessarily correlated with LF cutoff?

"Geddes' book on acoustics design has all the messy math."

It's looking like I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

How many equations does it take to define the waveguide dimensions once you've chosen coverage angle and LF cutoff?

Thanks
    ------------------------------
    Noah

Comment

• dwk
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by noah katz
      Parts Express has a 12" waveguide for $14, it says "useful acoustic loading down to 1200 Hz."

Am I just optically illuded? All these waveguides look like bowls to me, i.e., concave, whereas everything I'm reading says they're conical.
      here is a shot of the profile from the side

Definately not concave. The 'conical' really refers to the radiation pattern - being conical rather than exponential or tractrix means that it is aiming for 'constant directivity' as the design goal rather than acoustic gain. As Geddes Oblate Sphreoidal design illustrates, curved sides that gently transition from the throat to the mouth are required for uniform directivity - discontinuities cause irregularities in the coverage pattern.
      I'm slightly concerned about the abrupt corner near the throat, but I'm guessing/hoping that's only on the outside - the inside pics make it look like it transitions smoothly to the throat.

"Differences in directivity control. The more directivity, the longer and larger a "waveguide" or horn mouth will have to be."

So mouth diameter is not necessarily correlated with LF cutoff?
      Yes, but somewhat more indirectly. LF support is determined by both the size of the mouth as well as the depth of the horn. The basic rules of thumb are that the LF cutoff* is where the mouth circumference is ~1 wavelength, OR where the depth is ~ 1/4 wavelength.

* waveguides don't really have a 'cutoff' in the same way that classical horns do. Acoustic gain simply falls back to direct radiator levels.

"Geddes' book on acoustics design has all the messy math."

It's looking like I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

How many equations does it take to define the waveguide dimensions once you've chosen coverage angle and LF cutoff?

Thanks
      Building/designing waveguides is a fairly practical/pragmatic activity. I don't think Geddes book is necessary if that is all you want to do. In fact, his famed 'OS waveguide' equation doesn't even appear in the book.

The 'hornresp' program is a good tool for getting the basic dimensional parameters established. The acoustic gain of any conical-like device is generally close enough that you'll get into the ballpark by modelling a conical in hornresp. For safety, I'd allow at least an extra half octave on the low end, as my understanding at the moment is that waveguides begin to store energy as you approach the LF limit - I have yet to create anything that has had a long enough life to actually sit down and measure well, though. Then, once you have the basic dimensions, you can create the appropriate curve for the sides (OS or other)

I have some 8" and 12" PE waveguides on the way to play with. Am I the only one looking at these as a chance for a potentially easier Unity implementation? Pity they don't have a 15" version - the 12" is really too small for a Unity to work properly, but it should serve as a 'good enough' testbed for a POC. It looks like a longer conical extension could be grafted on later.

Comment

• noah katz
        • Dec 2005

"here is a shot of the profile from the side
        http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1006/rd3wc.jpg"

Thanks, dwk.

Sure enough, that's not concave. But that's a compression driver; just to be sure, are the waveguides people are using with domes all convex as well?

"The basic rules of thumb are that the LF cutoff* is where the mouth circumference is ~1 wavelength, OR where the depth is ~ 1/4 wavelength."

For 1 kHz (WL = 13.2"), that comes to 3.3" deep and 4.2" dia.

The depth sounds about right, but that sounds way too small for the mouth, unless you add on 2" on the radius for blending to the baffle.

"In fact, his famed 'OS waveguide' equation doesn't even appear in the book."

What?! Where does one find it?

Thanks very much
        Noah

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

What's a Unity? POC?

I read somewhere that, the freq down to which pattern directivity is controlled is

Fc= 10^6/(theta*X)

where: theta is the included angle of the waveguide;
          X is the mouth width of the waveguide [in].

*I haven't double checked this.

Comment

• dwk
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JoshK
            What's a Unity? POC?
            Unity = Tom Danley's Unity Concept horn system. This is an approach where midrange drivers are placed along the side of the horn/waveguide and fire into it via entry holes, so that you kinda/sorta get multiple horn setups firing through the same mouth. Requires some xover trickery to get it to work right, of course, and from my little personal experience and the anecdotes of other folks, it takes many iterations of experimenting with the specific location of the entry holes, size of entry holes, etc. Having relatively cheap waveguides to experiment on can greatly reduce the labor involved, which is a good thing.
            The payoff on a Unity is that if done right, you effectively get a single acoustic source over a very wide bandwidth.

POC = proof of concept. ie prototype

Comment

• oneoldude
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dwk
              I'm slightly concerned about the abrupt corner near the throat, but I'm guessing/hoping that's only on the outside - the inside pics make it look like it transitions smoothly to the throat.
              I have a pair of horns that look exactly like the one shown above. I got them from SteelSound. But they seem to be the same series as the PE horns. I can tell you the inside of the horn is not discontinuous. It is smooth and fair from the mouth to the throat. The irregularity is only on the outside.
              oneoldude :later:
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet" - Damon Runyon
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              "De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est" (There is no disputing taste) - Ancient Roman Saying

Comment

• noah katz
                • Dec 2005

How's the waveguide work going?
                Last edited by noah katz; 25 March 2006, 18:06 Saturday.
                Noah

Comment

• EdL
                  • Apr 2005

bump:

"How's the waveguide work going?"
                  Ed

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"