X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nisoli
    • Jan 2003

Subwoofer for music

I'm looking for suggestions for a subwoofer used mainly for music. I have B&W CDM7 NT mains and Rotel separates (RSP 1066 preamp and RMB 1075 amp). My budget is $ 1,000 - 1,500, but I can stretch a little if justified by significantly better performance. Please let me know your recommendations. Thanks a lot.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

what sort of music do you listen to? How loud do you listen to music? My advice would be to call Kyle at http://www.acoustic-visions.com/ and have him build you a sealed tempest based sub with the veneer of your choice.

Comment

• nisoli
      • Jan 2003

Thanks, Andrew. I listen to mainly classical (80%) and jazz (20%). I heard there is now a B&W subwoofer for the CDM line (I think it's ~ $ 1,600), although at least in in the past B&W subwoofers have not been rated very well. So I was looking for something else to complement the CDM 7 NT.

Comment

• nisoli
        • Jan 2003

To complete my previous reply: I don't listen to music very loud, so I wouldn't need a huge sub (in fact the smaller the better to satisfy the "spouse requirements").
        My only problem for going with a custom made sub (like "Acustic vision" as you indicated) is that I would like to demo it in my room before I buy it. So I probably have to go to a local dealer (in my area I know they carry B&W, Velodyne, Sunfire, and probably many others).

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

I would suggest looking for a used REL sub on Audiogon. Besides being "musical" they are easy to integrate with any speaker. I like that you blend them in at the sub itself rather than through the preamp. Although I don't use REL anymore at one time or another I had 4 different ones and was satisfied with all of them.
          I know you want to be able to audition first but, you could turn around and sell them without a loss should you find (very unlikely) that they don't suit you.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Another excellent brand you should be able to find in your price range is Vandersteen. The model 2Wq in particular is eminently suited to music reproduction. Its MSRP is $1250 US. http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/2Wlit_intro.htm
            I just spent a couple of hours yesterday listening to music on a system that incorporates the Vandie 2Wq sub, along with main speakers and power amp that are the same models as mine, and was quite favorably impressed with the Vandie's musicality. (However, I'm still keeping my Velodyne FSR-18 sub, which is also an excellent performer and has the distinct advantage in my system of already being paid for. :>) The current HGS-18 model, which is basically the FSR-18 with gloss black finish and a higher price tag, while a terrific sub for both music and movies, would probably be out of your budgeted price range.)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

There are plenty of well made comercial subs that you can audition locally but having built a lot of subwoofers I have a hard time recomending someone spend that kind of money on a comercial unit now. There should be lots of people in NY that have a custom built sub that you could listen to if you needed to but honestly I know you'd be happy with a sealed tempest in a well built box.

If you do end up going with a comercial model the Paradigm Servo 15 is a great sub as well.

Comment

• PMazz
                • May 2001

Use the Adire link at the bottom of the page and look for the Rava sub. A highly rated 12" driver is used in it (Shiva). All for ~$500.

Pete
                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Hi nisoli, I'll hop in with a Velodyne recommendation. The HGS-15 should be right in your price range. It's the improved descendant of the FSR-15 I'm using (similar to Burke's 18" monster). These are extremely accurate - very low distortion due to the servo-controller - and IMO reproduce music very well. There's no excess "manufactured" bass - you get what's on the CD/album/tape and nothing more. Plus, with that gloss black finish, they are dynomite-looking units.

FWIW, the Vandersteen and REL units are very good, also. Unfortunately, I've never heard the Rava, so I can't comment. Good luck!

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Evan Scussel
                    • Jan 2003

Whatever you do, please investigate the offerings from ACI. They are tremendous subs and revolutionized my system when I bought a Titan. They are great value and are perfect for music applications. A lot of comparisons have been made between ACI and REL subs and the ACI's compare very favorably for much less $$$. You can check them out at www.audioc.com

I would also highly recommend Adire Audio as well.

Still searching for that elusive "perfect" sound.
                    Still searching for that elusive "perfect" sound.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

OKAAAAAY. I've been away too long. The Velodyne HGS-12 is right at the top of your $$$ range. The -15 is a bit "pricier", and we won't even discuss the HGS-18. 8O

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• nisoli
                        • Jan 2003

Thank you all for your suggestions. I need to start the listening now.

Comment

• spiffnme
                          • Apr 2003

I'm surprised Hsu was not mentioned. Their VTF-2 and VTF-3 are both excellent "musical" subs. The VTF-3 is going to be available in a beautiful rosewood finish this June. I have the VTF-2 and love it.

I just checked and the VTF-3 (in black) is on sale.

www.hsuresearch.com

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                          All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"