X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lofi-ear
    • Jan 2009

15" sub for music

Hi,
    I'm considering purchasing a Creative Sound System SDX15 transducer as it seems to offer very high price/quality ratio. My aim is to use the subwoofer for music reproduction. The only question is, I don't know which would be a wiser design choice in regards of audio quality.

a) Ported, 300 litres of internal volume, port tuned to 15Hz. (LLT)
    b) Sealed, 100 litres of internal volume. And lots of equalization (the amplifier won't be a problem)

Which one would you choose? 8)
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Should you decide to build a DIY sub, we'll decide to discuss the question in this thread.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• lofi-ear
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Should you decide to build a DIY sub, we'll decide to discuss the question in this thread.
      http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...045#post440045
      8O What's that thread to do anything with DIY? That B&W would have been an excellent offer if only it hadn't turned out to be an older ASW800 unit

I've decided to build a sub since it's fun, good value for money and I have got the tools.

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

I think Thomas thought you were deciding between a commercial sub versus a DIY sub. I'm guessing that the Creative Sound System SDX15 is just a 15" woofer/driver?
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Johnloudb
          I think Thomas thought you were deciding between a commercial sub versus a DIY sub.
          Correct.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The primary decision is whether or not you want to live with a larger ported enclosure, or whether you'd prefer a critically damped Qtc 0.50 sealed box?

Typically critically damped alignments are used when the choice is sound quality vs max output.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"