• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

My Big Day

I just wanted a turntable, honest.

I'd been wanting a new TT for a while, so Burke and I went to one of his favorite A/V stores (Audio Concepts) today to audition a couple of them. By the time it was all over, I'd made a mess. I had stopped by the store yesterday to ask about using a Rega P25 in the audition along with the P3 and Nottingham Analog Horizon and noticed that they had their Aerial Acoustics 7B's on for 40% off. Since the audition was going to be held using Maggie 1.6s which would NEVER fit in my HT/music room, I asked the sales rep if we could substitute the 7Bs as they were a speaker I could see upgrading to someday.

Well, you guessed it. Along with the Horizon TT, the 7B's are heading to my house. To add to the total lack of self-control, along with a Grado Sonata cartridge, a NittyGritty model 1.5 powered record cleaner and a Symposium Svelte Shelf all wound up in shopping cart. I'll get the Aerials next week, but the rest will be about 2 weeks before they come in. Plenty of time to go through buyer's remorse - heh.

There will be no further upgrades in the Meek household in 2003! This is final.

Unless I need a cable or two. . . or wait, my center channel doesn't match. . . or my surrounds. . . oh Jeez, what about my amplification?
    8O

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

David, way to go man! Aerial is on my long list of speakers I would like to own someday. Fact is, I used to lust over them prior to discovering Sf. At 40% off, wow, a no brainer!

I really like the fact that your 10% cable budget is going up too. I know what kind of speaker cables you need on them, and I just happen to have some in stock. :LOL:

Congrats.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Congrats, David! That's got to deserve a banana.

:banana:

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Evan Scussel
        • Jan 2003

Thanks for helping the economy...our government thanks you!!! 8)

Still searching for that elusive "perfect" sound.
        Still searching for that elusive "perfect" sound.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

so along with a sweet DAC you're buying more toys! Geez trevor's influcence is wider then I'd first thought:LOL:

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Guilty as charged Andrew. :B

Chris, thanks for the banana! (can I say that here?)

This was all pretty much unplanned except for the TT. The comment about no more upgrades is very true tho'. I've shot all my bullets now except for getting 2 more shelves for my equipment rack, which may be a bit difficult as I've heard that the Lovan Classic II is not in production any more. Oh, and maybe a cable or two, eh Lex?

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• awtryau89
              • Dec 2002

David,
              I sincerely know how you feel. I just wanted a little better preamp/processor for HT. I ended up getting new Onix Ref Speakers, a new subwoofer, new Bryston amps for 7 channels, new DVD and oh yeah....a new B&K Ref 50. Well, I'll have it all by this weekend and I will be.....DONE!!!!

Eric Awtry
              War Eagle
              Eric Awtry
              War Eagle

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Well, congrats to both David's on your new toys! arty:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Wow Erik, that was some shopping spree! All that, while your wife picked up Groceries? lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                  Doug

Comment

• dsmith
                    • Jan 2003

David, face it, you are an audioholic. Welcome to the club. Members of of Audioholics Anonymous meet at Ricky's house every Wednesday evening.

Don

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Why thanks Don. That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time. (sniff) Got a map to Ricky's?

Seriously though, I hooked up the Aerials last night just on a temporary basis. They are in the theater room which has plastic painters sheeting down on the carpet, more hung across the entry and absolutely nothing in the room except for the speakers, my RX-V1, CD-deck, power conditioner and one chair.

The detail revealed, the more delicate sound evidenced, the "depth" that I could percieve was marvelous. I'm hearing things in my CD's that I haven't heard before and it gave me goose-bumps. I'm picking up the Musical Fidelity A3.24 DAC today and will put that in the loop ASAP. I normally turn in at 10 PM on a work night, but it was midnight last night before I could tear myself away.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

It is a sickness, that's for sure.

I remember starting a thread way back when at DT. It started like this:

Hi, my name is Doug, and I have a problem, lol.

David, very cool man! :banana:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                        Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new toys David. Isn't it always like that, you go into the store with one thing in mind, and you walk out with 10 items in addition to the one you originally wanted?

Keep it up so the economy gets better, so I can get a decent job and I can start buying things again.

I can't wait to hear your impressions of the turntable when you get it. I'd love to give vinyl a try someday but it's still a very long way off for me. No money and no room right now.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                          My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I remember starting a thread way back when at DT. It started like this:

Hi, my name is Doug, and I have a problem, lol.
                            Hey I rememeber that thread!

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kevin
                              Keep it up so the economy gets better. . .
                              Kev, as I mentioned above, just a couple of cables for the DAC, and a couple of more pieces for the equipment rack. I've pretty well shot my bullets for 2003.

Originally posted by Kevin also
                              No money and no room right now
                              Money? Room? And those are. . . ?

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"