X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnT
    • Jan 2003

6 rca to db 25 adapter where ??

Anybody have any suggestions as to where I may find a six rca to db-25 connector locally ? or if I have to, an internet website..Need one for my aragon soundstage as I want to try some dvd-audio.
  • tonygeno
    • Feb 2003

Try www.accessories4less.com

I bought mine there. It was a Tributaries. Cost is around $100.

Comment

• awtryau89
      • Dec 2002

John,
      My local Best Buy has them but I belive they are very expensive. I purchased one from Onecall when I had my Citation w/ MSB upgrade for $40. It wasn't the best but remember with the DB-25 computer type connector you are not ever going to get and audiophile approved WBT or Tiffany type connection on one end so it may not make a huge difference anyway.

Eric Awtry
      War Eagle
      Eric Awtry
      War Eagle

Comment

• JohnT
        • Jan 2003

Thanks Tony and Eric,

I will try best buys first, but I dont want to pay over 50~60 dollars as dvd-audio doesnt thrill me that much because of the limited title selections. I do have full range in my rear setup now as I just purchased 2 nht subs and outlaw icbm so Im running my rears in large from processor and having the icbm crossover to the rear stereo subs(that are positioned directly below rear speakers)..So far its great for movies and I suspect it would be great for dvd-audio to ?

Comment

• tonygeno
          • Feb 2003

John:

Did Best Buy have this cable?

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Remember, DVD Audio is about quality, so you wouldn't want to scrimp on quality to much in a cable, would you if the objective is to maximize your audio experience. I don't manufacture this cable, ive thought about it, but it would be a lot more than 60 bucks, lol.

lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JohnT
              • Jan 2003

Tony,

I havent gotten a chance to get one yet as Ive been contemplating trying some dipoles out (hmm, not sure) but Im goin to investigate it some (as I always do) before I purchase anything.

Lex,

I have to be honest, my cable/speaker wire situation right now is embarassing as I have always put this off. I keep saying when I get all my gear in place I will then concentrate on cables/wires. The problem is I never get to the end of getting my gear totally situated. Im using a mixture of probably 10 different brands of cables form (rat shack,monster,ar,recotron,sherwood,best buys brand) and my speaker wire is also a mixture (home depot 12 gauge,recotron 12 gauge, monster z-1 on towers)....I REALLY need to straighten this mess out ( as soon as my gear is all set :LOL: )

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

John, hopefully, I won't have retired by then, so I get a shot at some of your business. :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chuck G
                  • Feb 2003

Check the below link...

High-End manufacturer of audio equipment, specializing in Digital to Analog Converters. Crafted in California.

Maybe there are others but it was all I could find. Sounds like a quality cable. If using the DB-25 connection is not as good as the 6 RCA method, are the high end preamps (like the Soundstage) just using them to save space?

Chuck
                  Chuck

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Chuck G
                    If using the DB-25 connection is not as good as the 6 RCA method, are the high end preamps (like the Soundstage) just using them to save space?
                    If you take a look at the crowded back panels of the higher end (and even not-so-higher end) pre/pros, allocation of space has to be a real concern to their designers. The manufacturers would argue, of course, that they are compromising nothing by using the 25 pin connector instead of multiple RCA plugs. The main objection seems to be the close spacing of thin unshielded leads with that configuration. Short of bench testing the circuits with sensitive electronic devices, who knows whether the signals are degraded at all?

Needless to say, we can "listen", but I have a feeling that some people, "knowing" that they are listening to what they feel is an inherently inferior connection, will "hear" problems whether they exist or not. OTOH, once they've found a suitable cable, owners of the Integra Research RDC-7 whom I've talked with seem to be satisfied that the 25 pin connection renders an acceptable signal.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• dsmith
                      • Jan 2003

If the DB-25 input is used with a HT processor (as I would use with my Citation 7.0) then sound quality is not as much of a factor as with DVD-A or SACD. Movie soundtracks are not hi-fidelity in the sense of audiophile music. So for me it would be very acceptable. But, if I wanted to hear the high resolution music formats at their best I would be inclined to go with conventional multichannel inputs for the best results.

Don

Comment

• Ricky
                        • Aug 2000

Darn, the DB25 connection is inferior? Says who?

The Nov 2002 Sound & Vision mag did a comparison between the Anthem AVM20, the Aragon Stage One, and the Sunfire Theater Grand III. Here are some Lab results.

AC3 Noise Level on 16bit Signal (the larger the negative the better):
                        Anthem - 75.2 dB
                        Sunfire - 75.4 dB
                        Aragon - 75.6 dB (best, but all very good numbers)

Multichannel Analog Inputs - Distortion (1 kHz at 200mV)
                        Anthem 0.05%
                        Sunfire 0.02%
                        Aragon 0.003% (one tenth the distortion level!!!!)

Multichannel Analog Inputs Noise Level (A-wtd re 200mV)
                        Anthem -84.4 dB
                        Sunfire -87.2 dB
                        Aragon -88.3 dB (again the best)

I can't wait to hear multichannel SACD/DVD-Audio through the "inferior" DB25 connection on my Aragon and reap just one-tenth the distortion level....... :P

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                          • Sep 2000

You're getting an Aragon, Ricky?

Steve's DIY Dipoles
                          Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Ricky
                            • Aug 2000

Steve,

You haven't been reading the Aragon threads? In the last few weeks, three upgrade FREAKS all bought used Aragon Soundstage prepros (JohnTompkins, Eric Awtry, and Me). John's keeping his. Eric moved to a Ref50. I am gonna get the new Stage One.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                              • Sep 2000

Ya miss one thread....

Steve's DIY Dipoles
                              Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"