X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsmith
    • Jan 2003

Here's an interesting bit of information

I was enlightened by Bob Popham, an associate of Jim Fosgate, who (Bob) now has his own audio design firm, of some interesting audio facts.

-- Concerning DPLII and 6 Axis, I quote Bob:

"ProLogic II was not invented by Dolby, it was purchased from Jim Fosgate and renamed.! The very first version was called ROCK mode which was
    improved into 6 axis. HK never bought it from Jim so he sold it to dolby as ProLogic II."

-- Re repairing a CAL 2500 SS) HT processor and separate video switcher:

"The video switcher yes, but what is the 2500 SSP. If it is the AC3 processor then they never finished the software correctly and it can't
    be fixed because the software has a lock on it that no one has been able to break. I know, I tried. This much is for sure; the password is about 200 characters long, case sensitive."

End quotes.

While I can hear a difference between DPLII and 6 Axis, it may have more to do with the fact that DPLII is processed in the digital domain, and 6 axis is processed in the analog domain. And I suspect Fosgate tweaked it a bit for the digital domain. Anyway, I found this information of considerable interest coming from a knowledgable insider and thought I would pass it along. Needless to say, I will not purchase the CAL 2500 SSP I was contemplating.

dsmith
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Comment

• Ricky
      • Aug 2000

Before this conversation with Bob, you didn't know that DPL2 was based on 6axis?

Comment

• dsmith
        • Jan 2003

Ricky said: "Before this conversation with Bob, you didn't know that DPL2 was based on 6axis?"

Obviously not, and I suspect few others did also. In fact I thought I had read somewhere that Fosgate "started with a clean sheet of paper" with DPLII.

dsmith

Comment

• awtryau89
          • Dec 2002

dsmith,
          Look at this thread:

This will tell you all you need to know about 6-Axis and DPLII. Bob Popham is correct to a certain extent but not fully. 6-Axis is wonderful with Fosgate Dual Drive surrounds but cannot match DPLII without them. Hopefully the thread will shed all the light we need on this.

Eric Awtry
          War Eagle
          Eric Awtry
          War Eagle

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"