X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsmith
    • Jan 2003

Aragon Soundstage vs. StageOne?

Has anyone done a serious comparison of these two Aragon units? If you have, your comments are requested. A dealer I am in touch with seems to think the older Soundstage has a better two channel analog output than the new StageOne. Thanks.

dsmith
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

As I researched and shopped for my used Soundstage, I converse with a couple of guys who did the trade-in for the Stage One....they said the sound is about the same.

However, since your hearing is quite sensitive and easily subject to listener fatigue, I'm not sure you want either unit, as they are pretty true to the source and you probably need something that smoothens/mellows out the sound. If you are staying with 5.1, I think you should get the MSB 5.1 inputs modification and retain the Citation 7.0 as the centerpiece of your electronics.

You also seem to be a prime candidate for a tube preamp with HT bypass unity gain.

Comment

• dsmith
      • Jan 2003

Ricky, thanks but no thanks on tubes, they are against my religion. Actually, 5.1 DD sounds just fine through my H/K AVR520 - no listener fatigue other than what you normally get listening to movies with depth charge sound effects (K-19, the Widowmaker). I even listen to surround music through the H/K and it sounds pretty good, but not nearly as good as the 7.0. I have listened to much solid state gear with no problems, including several H/K receivers, the H/K Signature amps, the Chiro C-500, Marsh A-200, Outlaw 950, and the Audio Refinement Pre2. Only the Citation really was a major problem, and the Bryston products were not that bad, they just suffered in comparison to the Innersound ESL amp and Citation 7.0. As to why, I have thought about it quite a bit, and of course I am not an EE, but it sounds as if the Bryston's ultra-low distortion circuitry actually strips music of its more pleasant harmonics. Some people may prefer that squeaky clean sound quality but I guess I don't. Not that I don't want a high level of resolution, I do. But I like it when it sounds like the performers are sitting right in front of me. Music through the 7.0 and ESL just sounds more real to my ears than with the Bryston gear.

Anyway, I really don't think I would have a problem with the Soundstage or Stage One. I just had a chance to get a dealer demo Soundstage cheap but missed out, so that's why I asked.

dsmith

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"