X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TSG
    • Jan 2003

I need some interconnect & speaker wire advice/suggestions

I have a B&K Pro 10 pre-amp and Reference 4420 amp on the way to me. They offer a balanced connection option between the two.. Should I use the balanced connection.. any benefit? If not.. what cables would you recommend? Try to keep me in the $100 price range..please. I would also like to upgrade my speaker cables... I have standard 12 guage monster cable right now. Will there be an improvement with some $100 cables? What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance...

Tom
    Tom
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Tom, if they are "true balanced", there could be some benefit. How many channels for your interconnects? Pre-amp to amp. A pair? Fairly easily doable. 5 channels? tough.

Speaker cables, well, to be honest, for 100 bucks, it's not easy. My Cattails 2 meter cables start at 149.99. They are really nice cables, and you should look for oxygen free copper in teflon, for quality. Catails are all of that in a litz configuration. There is some nice bulk wire out there if you want to terminate your own. Kimber for example.

Goodluck,
    Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• TSG
      • Jan 2003

Thanks Lex..

Where do I find a coupon code & how much does it save me?

Tom
      Tom

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Tom, the ad at the bottom of this page is for 10.00 off, the coupon code is listed. It's valid on 1 product per order over 100.00. Be sure there's no spaces in front of the code. Tab likes to position you in column 2 for some strange reason.

Doug

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• RedStep
          • Sep 2002

If you have the option of balanced or unbalanced, Definately go with balanced. Balanced connections offer a cleaner and quieter, with a more direct signal path. Also will reject more interference from outside sources.

Remember that sound improvement is in the ear of the beholder

As far as cables go 8) Most would agree that there is a slight improvement when you upgrade to a good solid built cable. (Hear a lot of good about them CATs)

RedStep
          We are truly a product of the decisions we make
          RedStep
          We are truly a product of the decisions we make

Comment

• Rock Dog
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2003

A truly unbiased and objective opinion.

I've used many different kinds of interconnects over the years. Mostly in the Monster and AR lines. I started cheap and worked my way up through their respective higher ends. I've also auditioned some of the other "specialty" cables at my dealer, and through friends. So when I bought my new ROTEL pre/pro and amp, I decided to give them the interconnects they truly deserved.

I thought I would give CatCables a chance. I bought 3 Silver Cats for my R,C,L and Copper Cats for my R,L surrounds. I can't tell you how happy I am with my purchase. I was amazed at the difference they made. The soundstage really opened up. The clarity, separation and definition with the new CatCables was truly wonderful. I was actually surprised at what a difference they made. Going from my Yammie receiver to my ROTEL pre/pro and amp was eye opening as it was. I was able to listen to it with a pretty good set of AR interconnects. But adding the CatCables was like buying a whole new set of speakers. My Mirages opened up with the ROTEL stuff. But the interconnects turned them into a whole new set of seakers. :T

I like them so much, that I currently have a new sub cable, and component set on order from CatCables.

Almost as important as the quality of the construction and materials in the cables (which is wonderful) is the customer service IMHO. Doug at CatCables went above and beyond in helping me with my purchase. He answered every pre-sale question in a timely manner, and without making feel like I was bothering him. He never pressured me to buy something more expensive, and was an absolute joy to deal with.

In case you are wondering. I would, regardless of who he is, or what his function here is. Give an absolutely truthful review of his products. I don't believe in "if you can't say something nice" not when it comes to spending the type of money we're talking about. If I was dissappointed. I'd say so. And I have no connection to him or his cable companies whatsoever. I get no benefit from my comments.

I just believe in helping others spend their hard earned money more wisely.

Hope this helps.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• MannyE
              • Dec 2000

My favorite interconnects are the ones I made myself. I bought some high-purity enamel coated magnet wire and some gold-plated RCA plugs.

I twisted two lengths of the magnet wire together being careful to actually "helix" them...not one twisted around another, then soldered the connectors on with Kester 44....very nice sound...

I had a couple of "Bettercables" interconnects sitting around and some (very unscientific) comparison tests yielded a more pleasant to my ears sound from the cheap DIY set.

For XLR, I would do the same except braid instead of twist!

http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/scripts/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=23441&ck=&userid=16579 006&userpw=ytxCz9&uh=16579006,2,Manuel&uzip=33140& ver=3.0
              http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/scripts/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=23441&ck=&userid=16579 006&userpw=ytxCz9&uh=16579006,2,Manuel&uzip=33140& ver=3.0

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"