X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rantzmar
    • May 2009

cables, Cables, and more Cables!

Just sitting hear listening to some good sound on the Rotel and wondeing about cables. I've had this dedicated 2 channel for ABOUT 4 months now and got some monoprice balanced cables running from the pre amp to the amp and some monoprice rca cables from the two CDP's and tuner to the pre amp. I've never bought into the cable debates of getting better more expensive cables because it only wire. But now I'm starting to have second thoughts. So what does "THE CLUB" say about this? Share with me what you guys are using as interconnects and speaker wire. Have any in "THE CLUB" though as I once though and decided to try more expensive cables and had an improvement in sound? Some body please educate me in this subject before I spend my good hard earned money.
    Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

oh god here we go..........
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• rantzmar
      • May 2009

Sorry man.
      Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Opus007
          • Nov 2007

Maybe Lex can give a update on that link as it is from 2005.Also I do not see any of those brands advertised here anymore including the CAT cables.Just looking for clarification on the cable issue.Thanks.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Like you, I used to think wire was wire. What I have discovered is that once you assemble a system with good synergy and good resolution, it has the ability to convey the subtle nuances that cables make.

That said, I would never pay some of the exorbitant prices that you see from some companies. For some reason, and I don’t where I ever got this idea from, but I have always kept my system in a proportional balance. I add up the cost of all the components and figure 15 to 20% of the value to be adequate for the cables.

Over the past two to three years this formula has made CatCables fit perfectly within my equation and budget. I have sampled other cables belonging to friends, some way more expensive, some so called bargins, but I always felt the CatCables worked and sounded best in my system, regardless of price. I tend to stick with something that works, and the cables I have now will be able to grow with upgrades I will be making in the future.

But if you try a new cable and find no difference, then follow your feelings, and do what is right for you.

As always, JMHO & YMMV
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I believe Doug is taking orders on a per order basis. So just shoot him a PM.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Guys, the clubs are not the place for cable chatter, and even though Cat is sort of on the back burner at this point, I am still not opening it up wide open. Cable talk in the normal flow of AV talk is acceptable, but threads with the specific intent of exploring every cable brand under the sun is still taboo here.

we'll put a "watch" on this, and just say guys, please be aware of cable chatter at HTG, it's just not a good idea until I know I am out of cable biz for good, that decision has not been made.

Thanks Bill, a pleasure making them for you.

Doug
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Opus007
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Lex
                  Guys, the clubs are not the place for cable chatter, and even though Cat is sort of on the back burner at this point, I am still not opening it up wide open. Cable talk in the normal flow of AV talk is acceptable, but threads with the specific intent of exploring every cable brand under the sun is still taboo here.

we'll put a "watch" on this, and just say guys, please be aware of cable chatter at HTG, it's just not a good idea until I know I am out of cable biz for good, that decision has not been made.

Thanks Bill, a pleasure making them for you.

Doug
                  Thanks for the response Lex and clearing that up.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"