Help me choose the right Cat for the job!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Help me choose the right Cat for the job!

A forthcoming upgrade to my "cubicle tubicle" system (my tubed headphone system I listen to at work) will make it necessary for me to purchase a pair of interconnects, at least 2, possibly 3 meters long. They will be connecting a Sony CDP-M555ES megachanger to my ASL MG Head OTL tube headphone amp.

I've narrowed my choices down to (CAT) Silvercats, Bluetigers, (Quantum) SuperNovas, and Silver Centauris.

I see the pros and cons of each as follows:

Silver Pros: More detail

Silver Cons: Cost, too bright perhaps?

Copper Pros: Cheaper, more durable

Copper Cons: Less detail (not necessarily a con)

Are there any other pros and cons that I missed here? Right now I'm leaning toward the Bluetigers, but would like to make as informed a decision as possible! How do Bluetigers and Supernovas compare, sound and build quality wise?

If this helps, here's the relative "brightness" of the gear I'm using: Sony ES changer - generally regarded as detailed; ASL MG Head amp, warm; Beyer DT 831 cans, can be bright though the tube amp tames them a bit.

Thanks... KJP

P.S. I already use both Silvercats and Bluetigers in my HT, but for different applications, so I can't really compare them.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Hello Kevin, I suppose I am the best man to answer your questions.

Well, be careful when you say less detail with copper. That's not necessarily true. A loss of transparency (brightness to some), doesn't necessarily mean a loss in real detail.

Blue Tigers are oxygen free copper in PVC insulation, foil shielding. SuperNovas are OF copper in teflon, surrounded by a wire shield.

Soon, a new product will be introduced. In fact, working on the prototype today, it's name will be the CAT____A.

Perhaps you will want to order a pair of those. I can get you a prototype picture if you like. OF copper in teflon, shielded, with rhodium plated locking barrel connectors. Of course, they won't be as inexpensive as Blue Tigers, that's the only disadvantage.

Let me do a little work, and I will have a demo ready to view!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

How will the new Cats stack up against the SuperNovas? Do SuperNovas have locking RCAs?

I'll probably go with the BlueTigers or the SuperNovas. Silver's probably overkill for a cubicle system. I would like to order them soon so they arrive before, or the same time as the megachanger. I don't want to get the changer and not be able to hook it up! 8O

Thanks... KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Yo, Kevin, here's the new prototypes.

These offer sort of a new twist. The shrink is offset from the RCA housing. No, it's not as good a strain relief, but it's not unusual for people to have close racks, so I want to create some products that help with that problem.

Here's the shots, bad as they are, illustrative anyway. Introducing, the CATalinas!

These use the same base wire as SuperNovas, but add Rhodium plated RCAs, and a more luxurious reflex cover with chrome cover accent.

Yes, the SuperNovas have locking RCAs. Both these products do. The Catalinas have connectors styled like the Silvercat and BlueTiger, only all rhodium plated.

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Ooh, me like, me like! 8) How long before these are available for sale? Cool name too.

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Available now, just not on the web site yet... Let me determine the price structure tonight, and your good to go Kevin! :B

Thanks, glad you like them!

BTW, they ARE in the new CATalog on the CAT site.

Also, how long do you need?

Lex
            Doug

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I was really tired doing this, so pardon any obvious mistakes. Please do point them out if you see them though.

I will give a proof tomorrow before it's incorporated into the site menus...

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Nice looking cable Lex. Is the smaller image is out of focus or did I just overdo it this weekend?

Kevin, with your "cubicle toobicle" system, I think you are at the equipment quality level that silvers should be considered. That is a better system than many people have in their homes!

Not downplaying the newly introduced Catalinas (those are tweaking my "interest" lever) here - just something to think about.

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
                  Kevin, with your "cubicle toobicle" system, I think you are at the equipment quality level that silvers should be considered. That is a better system than many people have in their homes!
                  Well, that's why I posted this thread, to get people's opinions. I've pretty much settled on the Catalinas at this point. The cost of 3 meter Silvercats is a bit steep for the relatively small improvement in quality I'd get. Also, I don't know how well silver cables would hold up in a cubicle, being kicked, scuffed, etc. Silver's more fragile than copper. Those Catalinas look tough!

Of course, if I'm totally off base in my statements there, please set me straight BEFORE I place my order! Particularly if you think Silver is the only way to go! I do need to decide soon, so I can get these cables in my hot little hands within a couple weeks! I'd like to get them before the megachanger arrives.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

being kicked, scuffed, etc

Well, your kube sounds like a fairly high-traffic area, and if that's the case, and also if cost is a concern (when is it not? ) then the Catalinas are probably a better choice. Especially if the only thing you are losing is "a bit of transparency on the top end."

It'd be interesting to hear from Lex on the comparative "survival ratings" of the BlueTigers, Catalinas and SilverCats.

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

Not so much traffic IN my cube (it's all outside), but since the cables will be under my desk, they're at the mercy of my wild feet. I've been known to accidentally kick my PC tower from time to time. Also, there's the issue of the cleaning staff's vacuum cleaner. I'm thinking stranded copper will fare better than braided silver if it gets wound around a vacuum cleaner brush.

Also, I'm listening with headphones, so too much transparency could lead to fatigue. In this case copper may be the better solution. I won't have SACD or vinyl capability so I need all the help in taming the harsh redbook high end. The tubes certainly are a help there.

One other potential issue is RF/EM interference. There are lots of computers, fluorescent lights, laser printers etc. close by. Although I'm not currently picking up noise with my current setup (using a CD Walkman with a cheapo cable), I wonder if a 3M cable will be more prone to picking up interference. I assume a copper cable with a solid shield would do a good job of keeping out interference, right Lex?

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

David, those pics were temporary, they will be replaced before the catalinas are linked on the site. Basically they were shot only to show Kevin the cables, and without a flash or tripod, that's my stability problem. I had my reasons.

Also, I'm listening with headphones, so too much transparency could lead to fatigue. In this case copper may be the better solution.
                        That is precisely what I said over at the cable forum today. So, I think the Catalinas are a great choice for you. Silvercats are fairly durable with the clear PVC exterior though, so I see that as a non-issue really.

Lex
                        Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Yeah, I know the Silvercats are tough, but I wouldn't want to bend them too often, those silver strands look like they could fatigue and break after a while.

I'll be placing an order for some Catalinas on short order! Thanks! :T

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Welcome Kevin! :>) and thank you!

I think you made a nice choice for a headphone based tubicle system.

Fortunately, my wire crisis has been averted, and I will have stock on Wednesday. I still can't believe they sent me the wrong stuff. :roll:

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                              Fortunately, my wire crisis has been averted, and I will have stock on Wednesday. I still can't believe they sent me the wrong stuff. :roll:
                              Glad to hear that. I was afraid I'd have to change my order to Bluetigers. Nothing wrong with Bluetigers mind you, but I already own a set. I want something new and original this time.

The more I listen to my tubicle system, the more I like it. The new Raytheon JAN 5751 takes it to a new level. Next in line is the Sony ES megachanger, since I'm sure my walkman has a DAC that was fished out of a crackerjack box.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• merc
                                • Nov 2000

Hi Kevin,

You might actually prefer the Silver cables to the copper based ones with the MG Head tubed amp. At least I did. Maybe you should try both and keep the ones you like?

Take Care,
                                merc
                                Take Care,
                                merc

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Yeah, your cables are almost done Kevin! Well, Kevin does have a pair of Silvercats to play with Merc, if he so desires. But 3M silvercats do get a little more expensive for an office system, lol.

Also, since he's playing with different tubes, that changes the sound a lot, so what's right with the standard may not be right once you supercharge it.

Also of course the headphones themselves can influence the sound greatly.

Lex
                                  Doug

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Your cables are done and have been cooking 24 hours so far.

Lex
                                    Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                                      • Aug 2000

Hey Merc, glad you could join our little club! This is my favorite place, along with HTT. I'm still enjoying the MG Head of course. Have you gotten your amp yet?

Lex, glad to hear my cables are a'cookin! I was going to ask how they were coming. I'm hoping the megachanger is on its way, I haven't heard anything yet.

And last but not least, I've finally moved to my "new" cubicle so my upgraded pieces can be "permanent", at least until I find a better job.

Well, Kevin does have a pair of Silvercats to play with Merc, if he so desires.
                                      True, but they're 0.5 meter ones so an A/B comparison would require the megachanger and the amp to be practically back-to-back teetering on my desk. If I go tubes at home Silvercats will be at the top of the interconnect list though!

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"