X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen
    • Dec 2003

2HD (Z2) Pros and Cons

Well, some of you have had your 2HD's for awile now. I'm still pretty set on getting one (mainly because it seems to have them most bang for the buck ). I've almost saved enough to take the plunge, so I thought I'd throw this question out to you all.

What would you say are the main pros and more importantly what are any cons I should consider on this unit? Any feedback at all will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Glen; 05 May 2004, 14:48 Wednesday.
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

I received my Sanyo Z2 about 2 months ago, and posted some comments about it in another thread below this one - look for "Wooooo Hoooo ...". In that post I noted a problem with switching sources which has disappeared - I believe it was a cabling problem, not the projector.

Pros:
    First and foremost - Excellent picture and fantastic colours
    Price
    Installation (easy and flexible)
    Low noise

Cons:
    Occasionally (I notice it once a week or so) the picture has a displacement up or down (about 1/4" max)- quickly fixed with adjustment wheel on outside of pj.
    Minor (very)distortion is visible during fast panning of say landscapes, etc. Note that I'm using a cheap DVD player without progressive scan, and I can see this only when I'm really paying attention and being critical - my wife can't see it and doesn't know what I'm talking about.

I'm really searching and being overly critical to list any negatives. Now, this is not a $10,000 dlp, so the contrast levels aren't quite as good, and screen door effect is visible if you have good vision and stare hard from 5' away. Colour is incredible, even compared to some of the higher end pj's I looked at.

Many neighbours and friends have been over to check out the pj, (some of them have decent home theatres) and everyone has been thoroughly impressed.

My two word review, based on 2 months experience is ... buy it.

Paul

Comment

• Glen
      • Dec 2003

Thanks Paul. I'm much more critical about audio than I am about video - so I'm sure I'll love this unit. I'm just looking for anything I should be aware of. Thank-you for taking the tme.

That's what I love about this place. Talking to people who actually have what I'm interested in.

Happy viewing. :T

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Glen... I've had my 2HD for over 3 full months now and have quite a few hours on it. Not having ever owned a PJ in the past I can't compare it to others although I've seen a few others... not in direct comparison. Just from what I've seen I couldn't say any others wowed me over my 2HD.

I thought my Toshiba 65HDX82 Widescreen was pretty good with HD but when I got my 2HD I was truly amazed at the improved difference and on a much larger 97" screen area.

Personally I just can't find any faults and am completely satisfied. I'm not overly critical on video myself so it might be harder for me to find a fault.

I'm with Paul... buy it! (Z2 or 2HD... I'd say whichever you can get cheaper although SE's service is rumored to be better.)

Comment

• Glen
          • Dec 2003

Thanks Sonnie :T

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Glen, I've taken the approach to conserve my 2HD. I only connect it up for worthy premier's typically. I watch my View Sonic for normal viewing, TV, etc... The View Sonic is the workhorse. The 2HD is the fine instrument I only pull out for the good stuff.

I'll have to say, it's never disappointed me. It's far better a projector than my VS image wise and cost only 600 more. About the only thing I haven't liked is it's menu system. The View Sonic generally smokes it in that area for ease of use.

Colors contrast are excellent imo. Contrast much better at I think 800:1 than my 400:1 VS. Blacks are pretty good for LCD I think. the additional contrast helps in that area as well.

In short, I think you'd do very well indeed to do better than the 2HD or Z2 in the current market for similar pricing. Unless there's been a dramatic development lately, I doubt you can.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Glen
              • Dec 2003

Thanks Lex!

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Glen,,
                I love my Projector.
                The easist part is the set-up, calibration.
                I use the Cinema mode for all DVD's I watch and everything always looks right
                to me. Fleshtones, color detail etc..
                With my 61TNx81 RPTV I found myself always playing with adjustments even though it was calibrated with Avia.
                Not the case here. Cinema it is and that's were it stays. The crispness and detail is much better than my previous RPTV that was used for viewing movies.
                I have the HCCV Dalite Screen which is supposed to enhance contrast.
                Over all , I would have to say the image I see is very film like.
                I love it.

On the downside, blacks could be darker. My black bars when viewing
                2:35 material are more greyish than black for sure. That is were you would notice this deficiency the most.
                We sit 13-14 feet away from the 106" screen and I do see the Screen Door Effect every once in a while. It doesn't bother me as it is very faint.
                I would have to believe on a 92" screen it would likely be non existant
                from the same seating distance.
                The Panasonic 500 may have been a better choice for me in that regards for the size of screen I am using since it has a feature to eliminate SDE.
                However, the Pany 500 is approx $1,400 CND more than what I paid.

I am very happy with this PJ and it has , well actually FPTV has created a new level of
                excitement for me and my wife for watching DVD's.
                This is definatelty the best video investment I have ever made, without
                a doubt. :T
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Glen
                  • Dec 2003

Thanks Trevor!

You guys are all saying just what I want to hear :yeah:

:T

Comment

• Legairre
                    • Jan 2002

I've had my Z2 since Jan 23. I love it so much I remember the exact date. :T The only complaint I had was the shadow detail. I went into the service menu and was able to tweak the shadow detail to a point where its almost scary how good things look. Collars and lapels on black suits use to be a black blob(on dark scenes) now you can really make out the details. It's incredible what you can do in the service menu.

I also bought a Momitsu 1080i/720p upscaling DVD player. The combination of the Z2 and the Momitsu nothing short of stunning. The Momitsu does 1:1 pixel mapping with the Z2 in 720p. If you get a Z2 and a 1080i/720p player you'll be amazed at the picture quality.

no regrest here
                    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Glen
                      • Dec 2003

Thanks Legairre.

I'm getting a real itchy trigger finger on this unit. Once it's in the house - I'll have to see what you tweaked in the service menu. Thanks for the tip on the DVD player as well. That will be the next thing needing an upgrade.

Thanks for the input. :B

Comment

• GregoriusM
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2000

Momitsu V880

Momitsu V-880 review

Amazing review especially considering the price!
                        Gregor

Comment

• Legairre
                          • Jan 2002

I can tell you from experience the review is not blowing smoke. I'm using a 30 ft Ram DVI, Momitsu and with my Z2 the picture is very close to HD. I'm not saying it's as good as HD but it's close.
                          "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                          Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"