Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Refreshing speaker

Check these out: From Meadowlark Audio

http://www.meadowlarkaudio.com/swift.htm

For 995.00 a pair! Get out!

Bass to 35 hz, baffle from solid ashe, wow. Better get these quick before they come to their senses, lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

They sure look nice -- how do they sound? (That affects the one of my senses I'm most concerned about with speakers.) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I read about those recently after seeing them in a show report. Some other rightups question the depth and quantity of bass, but geez, guys, they're only 5-1/4" woofers! They are interesting looking; personally I'm a fan of light wood finishes.

But, a five inch woofer tuned to 35 hz or so in a baby TL reminds me of a nearly six foot tall folded transmission line system I built in the early seventies; walnut top and bottom plates, with a wrap around black grille; a 4 way system with 10" woofer/subwoofer, that was pretty flat to 20 Hz, but thrived on Phase Linear amps...

There's a lot of interesting info on the Meadowlark site about the company and their models; I think the warbling lark at the entry page is just a little too cutesy!

The one's that are a bit more intersesting to me are not quite so reasonably priced! :E

A cool $22,500 the pair......

-Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Well Burke, Stereophile raved about them for 1K. But you know, what can you expect for 1K? The Sonus faber Concertino isn't a bad entrant at that price range. But there aren't to many really. Maybe some of the new VMS, I dunno.

Anyway, I was just taken with the light finish and wedge shape, and wanted to share my finding with you guys.

Jon, those 22.5K jobs, whew! They are quite pretty, but 22.5K, I dunno! Sounds like time for Amati Hommage to me. :B

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Markj
          • Aug 2000

They do look nice. I would think it would have been better to tune them a little higher. If they sound as half as good as they look $1k might not bee too bad. Has anyone listened to Meadowlarks?

At $22.5K the others are in the Wilson Watt/Puppies range.

Comment

• Legairre
            • Jan 2002

Lex,
            They sure do look sweet. I love the look of them. it's nice to see a speaker that's not just a black box for a change . Real big WAF. The price isn't bad either.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
            Radden Home Theater
            "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
            Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Bob
              • Jul 2000

I had all Meadowlark speakers for a little more than a year. Heron's in back and Nightingales in front. My room (appx. 440 sq.ft.) really wasn't big enough for the Nightingales and I think that I should have had all Hot Rod Heron's instead. I think that most people would be very happy with the Meadowlark line. For small rooms the Kestral's are also a good speaker, never heard or saw this little guy but, for the price it is probably nice. Maybe integrated with 2 used REL subs or 2 used Roark subs.
              I purchased the Nightingales used from a guy that had just married a younger girl who insisted that the house couldn't have speakers sitting out in the living room :LOL: My good fortune.
              By the way, for anybody that likes the Meadowlark sound, there is a beautiful pair of Blue Heron speakers for sale at Audiogon right now.

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Mmmm, purty speakers! I wonder how they sound too.
                Originally posted by JonMarsh
                Some other rightups question the depth and quantity of bass, but geez, guys, they're only 5-1/4" woofers!
                When I had the opportunity to pick up my Platinum Audio speakers at close-out prices, I was skeptical about their bass capability--the Studio series speakers I got have dual 5-inch woofers--no way they could go deep. Then I heard them, and wow! Three years later I'm still astounded by their bass capability--the towers go down into the mid 30s effortlessly; the smaller ones I use for surrounds and center can hit the mid-upper 30s. Of course, dual woofers produce more bass than a single woofer. And most of the bass capability is dependent on the tuning/port design moreso than the size of the driver anyway.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                My HT Site

Comment

• LarryB
                  • Dec 2001

Lex:

Can anything be done to correct the fact that when folks post links to pictures, the pictures overlap the commentary?

Thanks...

Larry

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Larry, you must be using Netscape, or Opera or some other browser besides Explorer, right?

Forum is best displayed using Explorer. I raised this point to Mats before, but didn't seem to get to far.

Sorry about that,
                    Lex
                    Doug

Comment

• LarryB
                      • Dec 2001

Lex:

Larry, you must be using Netscape
                      Yup.

Forum is best displayed using Explorer. I raised this point to Mats before, but didn't
                      seem to get to far.
                      Try again, as my zillion bookmarks are all on Netscape.

Larry

P.S. Thanks for responding.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Well, I used to be pro-netscape all the way, that is until AOL about ruined it. I got tired of it crashing, and finally bailed on it.

But I will mention it again. But I can about tell you, it's an Explorer world now. Anything else, just doesn't conform to modernized standards, and yes, some of those are MS standards. But since they control the OS, it does put them in the driver's seat.

Lex
                        Doug

Comment

• Robbie
                          • Aug 2000

I know this is driving this off topic but yes I refused to use EEEXXXXPPPLLLOOORRREEERRR just cause it's a Bill Gates product. Then I started noticing many sites wouldn't work right so I started experimenting with EEEXXXXPPPLLLOOORRREEERRR many of the sites I was having problems with started working again. Also noticed with EEEXXXXPPPLLLOOORRREEERRR on the address line it indicates what the site was made with and out of all my bookmarks only 1, NASCAR.COM was still using NETSCAPE. There's things I still don't like about EEEXXXXPPPLLLOOORRREEERRR but at least the sites run OK now....

It's a sad world we live in......

Robbie

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Robbie, I am sensing some hostility here. I know, it's very perceptive of me, but I just felt it.

I tend to agree, and I was a slow convert too. But eventually, like most things AOL touches, they messed up Netscape. So, I gave up, and moved on. Plus I lost all my bookmarks anyways.

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"