Aragon 8008X3 equal in value to CA-3200?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Aragon 8008X3 equal in value to CA-3200?

My non Classe/B&W system in our PA family room was destroyed during a lightening storm, and along with numerous items, my Aragon 8008X3 amp is caput. I have checked around and can no longer get parts or service.

I have replacement cost insurance, but it's difficult to value some items like these that are no longer produced and the company is also gone. Replacement cost insurance (State Farm) will reimburse me the cost to replace items with like quality.

There are not many three channel amps made any longer, but does anyone know if the Aragon 8008X3 is close to, or closest to the Classe CA-3200, and if not, what would it be closest to in today's marketplace?

Thanks
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I recall Aragon was a product of Klipsch at one time. I jumped over to their website to find some more information. Based solely on their specifications the 8008X3 is a very close match to the CA-3200. Have you tried Klipsch for parts and what not?

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 5Hz-20kHz
    POWER OUPUT 8 200-watts by two channels
    POWER OUTPUT 4 400-watts by two channels
    THD 0.05%
    S/N RATIO 110 dB A Weighted
    DAMPING FACTOR >450
    INPUT SENSITIVITY 120 mV for 1 watt outut
    INPUT IMPEDANCE 22 kohms
    VOLTAGE GAIN 28dB
    ANALOG AUDIO INPUTS 3
    POWER CONSUMPTION 1600-watts
    BUILT FROM 1995
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
      I recall Aragon was a product of Klipsch at one time. I jumped over to their website to find some more information. Based solely on their specifications the 8008X3 is a very close match to the CA-3200. Have you tried Klipsch for parts and what not?

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 5Hz-20kHz
      POWER OUPUT 8 200-watts by two channels
      POWER OUTPUT 4 400-watts by two channels
      THD 0.05%
      S/N RATIO 110 dB A Weighted
      DAMPING FACTOR >450
      INPUT SENSITIVITY 120 mV for 1 watt outut
      INPUT IMPEDANCE 22 kohms
      VOLTAGE GAIN 28dB
      ANALOG AUDIO INPUTS 3
      POWER CONSUMPTION 1600-watts
      BUILT FROM 1995
      I did check with them and they don't have replacement parts. I guess a sign of the times in the world of corporate mergers and the economic downturn.

It's a shame because this amp sounded great. Very clean and smooth, and the character reminded me of the Classe sound. Unfortunately, whatever happened to it during a severe storm and lightning hit has rendered it a buzzing mess. The local service guy said it is probably some capacitors that got fried, but he said that he could be of no help either.

Thanks

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

I received a very helpful response from Classe regarding my inquiry, and they sent detailed information showing that the amps are very similar in performance, according to the specs. They only have a few CA-3200s left in stock as this amp is being discontinued, so I'm going to contact the insurance company with this information, and see if they will provide me with the proper replacement credit.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by beden1
          My non Classe/B&W system in our PA family room was destroyed during a lightning storm, and along with numerous items, my Aragon 8008X3 amp is caput.
          I'm sorry for your loss. So much for that Richard Gray protection. IMO, you should install a whole house surge suppressor. Its a much cheaper alternative to replacing expensive components. I know nothing can protect 100% against a lightning strike, but next to unplugging your system, whole house protection may just save your equipment next time around.

An Absolute Must Have For Every Home!This heavy duty surge suppressor will handle unlimited main breaker panel current, a transient surge capacity of 680 Joules, and 50,000 amps of surge current all with an instantaneous response time! The 51120 Series Panel Protectors are excellent and inexpensive insurance for your whole-house X10 automation system and stereo components.Quality Solutions From LevitonLeviton lighting control systems and Structured Media systems offer a range of home automation solutions. A leader in electrical innovation, Leviton products and lighting controls stand for quality, safety, durability, and style.

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Glen B
            I'm sorry for your loss. So much for that Richard Gray protection. IMO, you should install a whole house surge suppressor. Its a much cheaper alternative to replacing expensive components. I know nothing can protect 100% against a lightning strike, but next to unplugging your system, whole house protection may just save your equipment next time around.

http://www.homecontrols.com/Leviton-...essor-LV511201
            Thanks for your concern. I had my amp plugged directly into the dedicated wall circuit, and in this setup, I use a Furman Reference Series surge protector/isolator.

My receiver was plugged into the Furman and got fried because the Comcast cable was connected directly to the receiver. The Furman never tripped.

It was a very strange loss overall. My TV was fine as is the DVD player. Those were on the same circuits and connected to the Furman. The cable box was also fried. The receiver must have protected the TV and DVD from the cable surge.

Then, we lost electronic equipment on four other circuits: two computers, where the only thing in common was a wireless connection; a treadmill and my vintage arcade bowling machine in the basement; two computer printers; the garage door opener motor and etc.; and three power strips.

A whole house protector is going to be my next research project, and, I need to start isolating the TV cable.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beden1
              A whole house protector is going to be my next research project...
              Sorry for your loss. As Glen indicated I would highly recommend this as well. I think it has saved our delicate electronics on dedicated circuits on an occasion or two. Very reasonable expense with much peace of mind.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                Sorry for your loss. As Glen indicated I would highly recommend this as well. I think it has saved our delicate electronics on dedicated circuits on an occasion or two. Very reasonable expense with much peace of mind.
                Yes, a definite must now with most appliances being controlled with computer circuits. We are replacing our washer and drier after 18 years, and the salesman said to make sure and unplug the units when not in use, to protect them from power surges. He said they have been getting numerous service calls for this problem.

I wouldn't even have thought about having to protect a washer and drier before, but they are all just computer circuitry today.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

So sorry to read of your loss, Beden1. Best of luck with the insurance guys. Would be great if you could score a CA-3200. A whole house surge protector might be the best route from here on out.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"