X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Rubin
    • Aug 2000

Seeking Satellite Speakers

My wife and I have decided that we would like to install a satellite speaker system in our living room....probably 2 channels and a small sub. I was able to show her Bose satellites at a house we visited recenly, and they appealed to her ergonomically. Now before you boo and hiss, I assure you that the quality of sound matters to me as well. However, this area will not be our primary critical listening space.....a fair percentage of the use will be ambient. So therefore the ergonomics and cost must be considered as well.

Please suggest to me some of the possible solutions that I should consider. Thanks.
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

I have not listen to these at least not critically but here goes a list to check out.

Gallo makes a small ball speaker with a sub ball.
    B & W’s leisure monitors which comes in many colors to match your decor.
    Thiel has some in – wall speakers that are small.
    Take 5 from Energy

When I think of more I will post

Comment

• John Kotches
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Depending on budget, you could consider the IO/Jupiter combination from Cabasse is a viable alternative -- but you're talking about US$4500 for the setup, not exactly cheap.

Morel also has some smaller form factor solutions that (in limited hearing) sounded quite smashing.

Just a couple of options (besides Gallo) to look at.

Regards,

---
      Editor, PC/Home Theater
      Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
      My Home Theater
      NEC LT-150 specific page.
      ---
      Editor, PC/Home Theater
      My Home Theater

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I try to stay away from speaker recommendations because what one person hears in a speaker,another one doesn't. And of course individual room acoustics and whatnot also have a bearing. I can say what works for me though, and that is a set of Boston Acoustics 90C, 90X L&R, VRS Micro Dipoles Side Walls, and 90X on the back walls.The sub that came with the set wasn't to my liking so I upgraded to the Boston Acoustics VR500.Though these speakers are small, when matched with the sub the sound I get is truly wonderful.I should point out though, that although they sound find with music, the HT is used primarily for movie viewing only.I believe my overall cost on this system was around the $2000 mark Canadian, so I would expect US to be about 1/3rd or more less.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I am not up on true sat. speakers. I just wanted to add this.

In 1984, I owned a set of Bose 301's. I was in the military so space was always an issue. The only thing about them that bothered me from time to time was, the lack of deep bass. I loved the mid and highs that they produced.

I have not truly listened to the newer bose systems, but if you like what it offers and the price is right, I say get it.

I did happen to hear the speakers that George mentioned. I liked what I heard from them as well!

Good luck with your choice.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I'd like to add that, aside from all the controversy over Bose speakers, I have owned a set of 501s that I bought in the late seventies and am still using them today in my music listening room.The problem with Bose is that they are overpriced for what they offer.But from a sound point of view, they are not near as bad as some claim.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Kotches
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

George,

These comments apply to the Acoustimass, sub/satellite system only, which is what the initial post was about.

The Sub/Satellite combos have a Frequency Response of about 60-15kHz +/- 10dB. How exactly is this not bad?

The sub and satellite integrate around 250Hz, which is highly directional, how is this not bad?

The sub has a FR hump in the 80-120Hz range to make it seem like it delivers bass, when in fact it comes up about an octave short. How is this not bad?

The Acoustimass system has two things going for it. Size and Spouse Acceptance Factor.

Regards,

---
              Editor, PC/Home Theater
              My Home Theater
              ---
              Editor, PC/Home Theater
              My Home Theater

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

John,
                Since you put it that way...

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Trevor looked at some new satellites designed for SACD according to him, they look plum cute too, hehe. Sony I believe. I think there's so many more viable options than Bose, for the money, it's just not the smart move really.

I don't get specific like Jon, who by the way roughed em' up pretty good. But it's simply put. Bose is about Marketing first, and marketing last.

I once owned a 301 I believe it was, or was it 501? At any rate, they were metal domes and very fatiguing.

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I am not a Bose advocate by any means. I do however believe, no matter who or what the company is, if they offer a product that fits an specific application for my needs, I will use them. Again let me state, I could careless what the companies name is.

See imo, having the superior quality per dollar, does not always transfer to how a product will fit a given situation. If I just needed, back-ground music or wanted something that was not seen but heard, a Bose system might fit the bill!
                    Of course knowing that they are a marketing machine up front would caution me to look for a used product first!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"