X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyny
    • Jul 2004

Gallo Reference 3 with RMB1080?

Hi guys, I am planning to setup a dedicated two channel system and wold like to get yor thoughts. One of the speakers that I am currently looking into is the Anthony Gallo Reference 3. I am wondering if the Ref 3 would sound good driven by Rotel RB-1080. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by nyny; 08 May 2005, 20:13 Sunday.
    Tony
  • i_amadeo
    • May 2005

as i said before life is to short for 2 channels
    widen your horizens live on the wilde side alittle
    get your hands dirty aliitle with 5.1 or 7.1 sound

i would say get your self a 1095 :T
    a 1098
    keff or klipsch rf7 speakers (they see, to like the klipsch) but
    i would say if it aint broke fix it
    come into the light

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

I'm also looking into that speaker for my study/library. It's the look. I can't get to audition it anywhere locally so if you get to hear it with "anything", fill me in.

By the way, do you mean the RB 1080? What would you use as a preamp?
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

The Ref 3's are stunning to these ears.

I've only heard them at shows, driven by Musical Fidelity... but I can't imagine that the 1080 is not a good match... these little guys easily fill a medium-large room with music.

Absolutely worth an audition.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• nyny
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DrJRapp
          I'm also looking into that speaker for my study/library. It's the look. I can't get to audition it anywhere locally so if you get to hear it with "anything", fill me in.

By the way, do you mean the RB 1080? What would you use as a preamp?
          DrJRapp, yes, I meant the RB1080 (edited...hehe). If I do decide to stick with Rotel, I will purchase either RC-1090 or RC-1070 (is there a big difference in sound between the two?).

I will try to audition the Ref 3 at one of the NYC dealers (there are 4 Gallo dealers in NYC, hopefully one of them will have the Ref 3 for demo). If I do get a chance to audition them, I will report back.
          Tony

Comment

• dvdlen
            • Oct 2005

I purchased a pair of Reference 3s last month, and have been blown away by their sound every day since. I'm driving them with a Denon AVR-5700, along with the Gallo Reference SubAmp. The stereo imaging is magical.
            The speakers disappear and are replaced by a coherent and cohesive 3-dimensional soundstage.

Do whatever it takes to arrange an audition for these babies - you won't be disappointed.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

nyny, If I remember correctly you use to own a few pairs of B&W's but you needed to sell them because you were moving over seas (correct me if I am wrong). Did you have a change of plans or were you dissatisfied with the B&W's?
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• nyny
                • Jul 2004

RebelMan, I actually demoed/considered the Ref 3s before I purchased the 804S (I started this post way back b4 I purchased the 804S). I was not very impressed with the Ref 3's and fell in love with the 804S (too bad I had to sell them).

BTW, I am moving overseas next month, cheers.
                Tony

Comment

• Cowanrg
                  • Feb 2004

i heard the ref 3's as well. they were "nice", but considering what else can be had for the price, they weren't THAT good. they sounded pretty small to me.

for instance, in the same room, there was a pair of magnepan 3.6r's and 1.6qr's. each one was better IMO. the only thing that was nice about the gallo's was the amount of bass. you "could" get away without using a sub for 2-ch if you wanted to. but, the quality of the bass was pretty sloppy. it certainly wasnt as good as a decent subwoofer.

they are decent speakers if you like/need small speakers, but i just think there are other options.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2003

I did get to hear the Ref 3s and wasn't ovely impressed, (dull top end) but perhaps some of that was due to the fact that I was listening with Parasond Halo. For less money I am purchasing a pair of B&W XT4s. Perhaps not as sexy looking, but still on the small side and sharp, and better sounding IMHO.

I intend to power the XTs with my RB1080 driven directly off my Shanling T100 which has volume control....no preamp required!
                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by nyny
                      RebelMan, I actually demoed/considered the Ref 3s before I purchased the 804S (I started this post way back b4 I purchased the 804S). I was not very impressed with the Ref 3's and fell in love with the 804S (too bad I had to sell them).

BTW, I am moving overseas next month, cheers.
                      Ahh yeah, I over looked that one, my bad.

Good luck with your move.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"