X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Kowerchuk
    • Sep 2000

Dedicated CD Player vs. DVD Player

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on having a dedicated CD player for audio CDs vs. using a DVD player as their source?

Right now I have a Classe CDP .3 which I have no complaints with whatsoever. However, looking at Sony's new ES DVD player and seeing that it will incorporate SACD, I was wondering what the "purists" thought about this approach? Has anyone successfully done this?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I assume that you're talking about the S9000ES. On paper this looks like a sweet machine. Supposed to utilize some of the technology of the SCD-1/E777-ES SACD players. If that technology includes the "fixed laser" then this might be a great unit.

My personal preference is for a dedicated CDP (SCD-777ES). I think you'll continue to be happy with your Classe' player though!

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm not so sure I agree guys personally I think Jeff needs to walk down the street a bit and give me his Classe CD player and he can go back to using his Elite DV-09 for CD's Jeff I'd love to hear the Classe with my new maggies if you're up for it one day.

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

As Thomas can attest, the DV-7000 served us well for CD playback. Ironically, now mine only see's use as a CD player! For DVD, it freezes on dual layer discs, as does my Toshiba every now and then. It seems that my 301 disc changer is my most reliable player now. Of course, you can single play on it too. But in general, I audition a DVD on my single player prior to loading it. I only load the Elite in groups, when I feel like doing text entering via keyboard input, as I just did last week. Keyboard input for the 301 disc changer is very cool, btw. CD's only see the Sony 7000.

Anyway, I am not a Sony advocate now, but am optimistic that someday I may once again trust Sony. For now, I think I will stick to my Elite products from now on in the way of DVD. Regardless of SACD. But then, that's just me, and if you read my post in Extreme under Sony, you will know why.

I really hate bad mouthing a manufacturer, and I will say that Sony used to be a good thing for me. I felt great about buying it. But my experiences the last few years have just changed all that. I will keep the Toshiba, but since it won't play CD-R's, it would never become my main CD player.

A lot depends on the optics for CD, as to whether the SACD player would keep up with the S7000 for standard CD playback. As you know, the S7000 sports seperate optics for CD and DVD. Thus, that's why my S7000 is still a perfect CD player, but no DVD.

I will say that the convenience of being able to leave a favorite CD in your CD player for a few days at a time, is beneficial. So if you watch movies daily, changing DVD to CD to DVD to CD could get to be a real pain with all the switching.

Lex

Comment

• Tom R S 4
          • Aug 2000

So if you watch movies daily, changing DVD to CD to DVD to CD could get to be a real pain with all the switching.
          I have to agree with this one. I'm still using the S7000 for both CDs and DVDs, and at times I may take several days to re-watch a movie or extras on a DVD. When I do this, I have to remember where I left off on the DVD and go back to that spot after listening to a CD. Maybe I'll get a progressive DVD player (also with DTS) soon and my S7000 can become a dedicated CD transport like Lexman's

Tempus Fugit
          Tempus Fugit

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
            • Sep 2000

Hi guys;

Well the Email notification thingie wasn't working and I didn't think anyone had responded to this thread.

Anyway...it's all a moot point now. Things have happened. Specifically, I went to Andrew's last week and finally saw the light...in the shape of the Pronto coupled to a nice Sony 300 disc changer.

I shall be getting a Pronto (thanx ebay) and a Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc changer in a few weeks. The Sony ES has the Current Pulse D/A and Full Feed Forward filters, in addition to the Variable Coefficient filter. I know these D/A's won't be as great as the Classe, but if worse comes to worse I will use the Marantz SR-8000's D/A's - I'm familiar with them and I really like them.

I know it seems somewhat of a sideways (or even backwards) shuffle, but I have to say the single disc thing was killing me. It just doesn't jive with the way I listen to music. I am hoping that the new addition will keep me happy.

____
            Jeff

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

That would work Tom! The S7000 is one heckuva CD player!

Only complaint is the drop down door speed. Usually, you can carry the trash out, or make a quick phone call while your waiting for it to drop, lol.

Of course, I can't play dual layer DVDs on it now, but that's no problem, since I am sitting good on DVD players.

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Jeff Ithink you're going to love the new toys. So now lets see what we can do about converting you over to maggies LOL

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                  • Sep 2000

Andrew:

I think I need to make a new rule for myself - never go to your place!!! It seems like every time I go it costs me money!!

____
                  Jeff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I guess revenge is sweet then since after I visted your place I had to upgrade my speakers in a major way LOL..we'd better not see each other again or at least agree to meet at Jay's or some palce neutral

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"