X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob
    • Feb 2001

Velodyne HGS-15

Hi,
    Is there anyone out there that can give any info on this sub? I'll be running it with B&W 804s, 805s, HTM1 and 601s2 for sides. Is there anyone running this sub with these B&Ws?
    I currently have an Energy EPS12. Will I notice a substantial difference? Or just a small one?
    I have acoustic trauma in my ears so clarity and tightness are what i prefer as opposed to being just loud.
    Thanks, Rob
  • Tom Vodhanel
    • Sep 2000

The hgs15 is a great subwoofer.Whether or not it makes a *substantial* difference in your HT depends on how hard you're pushing the 12" energy. The HGS15 certainly has the potential to be a day/night upgrade over the energy. Be sure to nail it's placement and calibration levels too.

Then pop in TITAN AE.

TV

Comment

• MRWILLL
      • Aug 2000

Rob...

I use the HGS-18 in my 7.2 system (Velo VA-1012II in the rear). Run your Bass Management down to 40Hz and sit back and let the big Velo preform. It will not preform until it is called upon, and when it does, watch out!! The unit has a very nice subsonic filter that can be switched to 35Hz (music) and 15Hz (movies). Powerful, dynamic, and low distortion. I've read some reviews were the big Velo was liked better for music than movies.

A quote from HT magazine: "You might not be ready for all the big Velodyne has to offer." Good Luck!!

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
      DVD...Hear it from the people who
      mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I'm not familiar with the Velodyne but I did a price search and they fall between $1,730 - $1,999.

If size is not a constraint, and you are not afraid of going mail order. I would suggest you take a look at the products from SVS. You could get 2 SVS 16-46CS's with a Sampson 700Watt amp for $1,369 shipped. I'm sure that these would provide a noticable difference.

Of note is that the Velodyne has about the same output as the Pardigm Servo15. A forum member, Trevor, has 2 of the Servo 15's and has recently added 2 SVS 20-39's. He is most impressed with the SVS units.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hello Rob,

I never owned the vel but, I have auditioned one a few times. It is a fine sub by any means. I did however decide to try the SVS 20-39cs. I can honestly tell you that I have no regrets about not buying the HGS. I didn't believe that a <$500 sub could compete...I was wrong

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Here I was going to recommend a Velex. But hey, you got some good recommendations already!

Velo seems like a fairly low company IMO, and in the bass biz, that's a good thing. :B

SVS, I am sure delivers the goods and then some, but TV has yet to send me one for evaluation, lol.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Rob
              • Feb 2001

Hi again,
              Thanks for all the posts! I am very close to getting the Vel. The one question I have is is it very "Boomy"? I would like a sub to be more tighter and clearer than boomy. I plan to give it another audition in a few days.
              Thanks again, Rob

Comment

• Crimson
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Rob,
                Another possible contender to add to your list would be the Vandersteen 2W (either of 2 models depending on your application and associated components). The 2Wq model has adjustable 'boom'.

Q.
                Q.

Comment

• Phil Rose
                  • Aug 2000

Rob,

The Velodyne being a servo sub with its powerful amp is VERY tight. I don't think that you will hear any boom or loss of control. One thing that will happen is that if you over drive the woof a limiter will keep it from doing nasty things. A side effect of the limiter is that at very high levels you will experience some compression of the bass. That said, I've never run out of gas on my HGS-18

Comment

• MRWILLL
                    • Aug 2000

Phil...

See if you can listen to the HGS-18 and compare it to the HGS-15. When I had my FSR-15, I was totally happy until I heard the FSR-18. I moved to the HGS-18. IMHO, just the same as the FSR-18.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"