X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

A good album + a minor tweak = NIRVANA

OK, so last night after dinner, after the kid went to bed, I felt that crazy itch to listen to some really good music. I walk to the room where my 2-channel system is, fire up the preamp, wait a few minutes, fire up the power amps and then stare at my media rack. What should I listen to? I was already relaxed (a few beers always helps) and pull out the Gladiator soundtrack. I had the itch really bad, and wanted to really 'experience' the music so wondered what I could do to possibly modify my setup. I moved my chair two inches towards the speakers and moved the left speaker 2 inches closer to the right speaker. Its always fun to experiment like this.
    I then hit the play button, set the volume and close my eyes.
    BAM! The next thing I know an hour has passed and I was taken on a journey that I can't even describe! Success! What a roller-coaster ride! For anyone who has not heard this album, it contains enormous dynamic contrasts as each track flows into the next, not to mention changes in pace and emotion.
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is:

ENJOY THE MUSIC!

Don't fall into the pitfalls of 'critical listening', thinking about THD specs, wondering if that power conditioner is really helping. Sure, there's a time and place for all of this, but I tend to notice that the act of listeing to music is becoming too technical and sterile.

Just a rant. Anyone want to share a similar experience?

Q.
    Q.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

sounds like a blast. I'll frequently turn on the stereo, turn off the lights and just sit listening to some good music. The zorro soundtrack is another the deserves mention if you're into soundtracks.

Comment

• Crimson
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Actually, this is one of 2 soundtracks that I actually listen to (i have a few more), the other being the one to:
      Natural Born Killers

Q.
      Q.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"